Open Source "Tower XL"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BMS 4524 Overview
Used in ZERO 1 XD - Avantgarde Acoustic Hornloudspeaker
Very good CD for the money! I liked it a lot..

that is interesting but unfortunately can't find a dealer here in US or a dealer that ships to US w reasonable price.

i came across this tho : 1 Paar Tractrix Holzhörner.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I haven't heard a decent dome in ages, compared to good CDs. Better dispersion control with CDs too.

huh so that was my experience then, some CDs have been mentioned here before some JBLs if i remember, I wonder what other guys think ?

Last edited:
huh, I was hoping to get away with one build, it does not worth it to order the cabs and then realize if we need to change something, I will wait until I get the drivers and start measuring then :)

Some of us have high expectations for this design. :)
General nitpicking, fiddling with various details, followed by further tweaking is to be expected.

If a little controlled directivity is good.... with an 18" wide cabinet a larger horn with controlled directivity over a wider frequency range is better.

THIS IS THE SURVEY'S HORN DESIGN PHILOSOPHY

Is this team switching to a CD + horn design?

http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/directivity.pdf
Earl Geddes --- "12" midwoofer + 15" OS waveguide is best sounding SUMMA speaker"---

$225 = Faital HF10AK 1" exit compression driver with 1.73" diaphragm
----------------
$63 = Peerless DFM-2544R00-08 1" exit compression driver with 1.75" diaphragm

$13 = B-52 PHRN-1014 1" Horn 10" x 14" Bolt-On waveguide
Model: PHRN-1014|Part # 299-2303

$188 = Eminence KappaLite 3012HO Midrange

XXX = YYY woofer
-------------

Looks like CDs subject raised some interests here.

I did some research about the CDs, BMS has very good reputation but unfortunately not much available around U.S.
Selenium D220Ti is also well known, Faital Pro HF10AK is pretty damn good driver but personally it is way out of my price range, after AE drivers I pretty much pushed it and still have to purchase the crossover parts and cabinets.
Also read good things about Peerless DFM-2544R00-08.

Last edited:
AE TD15X
AE TD8M
Faital HF10AK

This would be a really nice combo.

A very nice combo indeed! We could perhaps test some less expensive substitutions for the CD.

B&C DE250 ~$107 USD*
Celestion CDX1-1445 ~$45 USD**
Others.....

Coupled with a SEOS 10, or 12, which are ~$23, and ~$28 USD, respectively. *** There may be some better options out there. These are just the first things I thought of.

* B&C DE250-8 1" Polyimide Horn Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bolt
** Celestion CDX1-1445 Ferrite 1" Compression Driver 20W
*** SEOS™ Waveguides

Attachments

• BMS_4528ND_(Photo).jpg
    BMS_4528ND_(Photo).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 299
I don't trust anyone who wears a cap indoors! XT1086 horn is a classic. A 1" throat driver is optimal for a 3-way. This new Peerless should be really good up from 2kHz.
Peerless by Tymphany DFM-2535R00-08 Compression Driver | audioXpress
or
Test Bench: Peerless by Tymphany DFM-2544R00-08 Compression Driver | audioXpress
"The DFM-2544R00-08 is driven by 44.4 mm diameter voice coil wound with aluminum wire on a Til film non-conducting former. Other features include a ferrite ring magnet motor structure, nominal 60 W rated power handling (50 W continuous), an injection-molded black heatsink, and solderable terminals. I should also note that the titanium diaphragm is coated with a light,thin layer of unique damping material giving the driver, according to the company, an unusually smooth sound at high SPLs. All of the materials resist environmental factors of heat, vibration, and aging and is purported to ensure many years of stable performance."

41$ at PE Peerless by Tymphany DFM-2535R00-08 1" Compression Horn Driver 2/4-Bolt 8 Ohm
63$ at PE Peerless by Tymphany DFM-2544R00-08 1" Compression DFM Driver 8 Ohm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.