Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2019, 06:42 PM   #881
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Default Quick Update

hello everyone.
Received the boards, 3/4" (19mm) 4'x8' (1.2m x 2.4m) MDF,
So yup, it's officialy started, I have finalized the drawings and will post a detailed sketch later, one thing I realized tho is that each cabinet will weight around 100-120lb (about 60kg) without the drivers , So i m going to add some kind of dolly or add two casters to the back side of each cabinet so I can just tilt it toward the back and move it around if I need to.

I will start working on this but I have my schedule full until after October, so don't expect a lot of progress till then
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5960.jpg (985.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5963.jpg (744.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 26th August 2019, 08:11 PM   #882
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Great! I am sure the boards take up a lot of space and stand in your way. You need to change this. Cut them, glue them, make something nice! You will enjoy it!
Old 26th August 2019, 10:06 PM   #883
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
hmmm, I wonder
I probably need to get a track saw for these, the boards are way to heavy and big to cut on the table saw by myself and I also don't trust myself with a circular saw to get straight cuts, hmm, will see...
Old 9th September 2019, 01:11 AM   #884
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you "phone a friend" to assure safe cuts of these large MDF sheets?

If you can post the final drawings you may get support from another builder with a larger wood shop and more experience to discuss safe working methods.
Old 9th September 2019, 01:41 AM   #885
vlv81 is offline vlv81  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Could you clamp or otherwise affix a straight edged piece of timber and run the circular saw along that. Possibly you could mark out the actual wanted pieces and then cut areas not needed and tidy up the more manageable pieces on your table saw? A couple of ideas that may be of use or not
Old 11th September 2019, 07:24 PM   #886
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Or use a jigsaw? This is just a prototype, and it does not have to look nice.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:17 PM   #887
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Default Some updates

Sorry for my long absents, I m getting married in a few weeks and barely have time for anything else.
I had a little progress tho, I got a track saw but it feels cheap and flimsy, so to make it more accurate and avoide more cutting than necessary I made a little jig around it.
I just went with it without any planning but it turned out good, I secured the tracks tightly on a large board, glued some blacks around it to stop it from moving around and loosing its accuracy, for the next step I m gonna cut the board off with the saw on the track, this way the cut would be my guid to make the future cuts and it will be accurate (the same idea from a table saw sled jig but here the jig is stationary and the saw will move across). lesson learned tho, next time I wouldn't buy a track saw, a nice jig with a cheap circular saw would do the job just as good.

I don't think I will have much progress for the next month or so, so please be patient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-6142.jpg (975.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-6343.jpg (947.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-6356.jpg (977.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 30th September 2019, 09:32 PM   #888
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Sorry for late replay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Can you "phone a friend" to assure safe cuts of these large MDF sheets?

If you can post the final drawings you may get support from another builder with a larger wood shop and more experience to discuss safe working methods.
I wanted to have a permenant solution for future projects and I found a good deal on the track saw so I just went for it, hopefully this jig will serve me for a while, and I can cut long crosscuts by my self, next is to make the jig vertical kinda like what they have at home depot, shouldn't be that hard and there are a bunch of youtube videos about it.
also I m working on the drawings as well, attached is the latest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv81 View Post
Could you clamp or otherwise affix a straight edged piece of timber and run the circular saw along that. Possibly you could mark out the actual wanted pieces and then cut areas not needed and tidy up the more manageable pieces on your table saw? A couple of ideas that may be of use or not
yes that would be one solution but I wanted to avoid more cuts just to clean up the first cut and wasting more material than I should, if this jig turn out good and accurate enough, it may help others as well to build one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Or use a jigsaw? This is just a prototype, and it does not have to look nice.
you know it has to be nice
I figured the cabinet would stay the same size, maybe some minor changes, and I will make the front baffle exchangable so if it turn out good, I can use the same cabinet and only build one more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Assembly Drawing XL v3 II2.JPG (234.3 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Aatto; 30th September 2019 at 09:34 PM.

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!