Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 07:13 AM   #811
tmuikku is online now tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
I've got Faital 15fh520 + 8pr155 + hf10ak with STH100 horn in prototype stage, but its a slow progress. I'm not sure yet if its gonna be fully active or have a passive crossover between mid and tweeter. Also, it is around 100 litres for the woofer currently. I'll post the end result here when when ready or abandoned My gripe at the moment is that the 15fh520 woofers I have don't measure even close to the spec. Need to exercise them many hours and see if the parameters have changed. If not, this is not a good woofer for a fullrange speaker. Kicks well with subs handling the lows though, and then can be used in much smaller sealed enclosure.

Last edited by tmuikku; 16th May 2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 6th June 2019, 04:27 PM   #812
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
I have thought about a sealed box and to use a sub (or subs) to cover the lower octaves, the AE TD15Xs need a 94 liter box for a q of 0.7 and it will go to around 60Hz for f3, 94 liter+bracing+other drivers wouldn't be much smaller than original 150 Liter in mind and it still need another set of driver(s) and amp and DSP to run the subs, so yeah, not convenient, with a net volume of 150 liter bass reflex box tuned at 30, the TD15Xs can breath a little & can go down to 37Hz and hopefully to 30Hz with some EQ which will make me happy, unless my cals are wrong.

I m not sure if anybody still following this but let me know if you are still interested in the project and what do you think of the changes.
If i don't see much interests I may take a different approach.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:16 PM   #813
Audio Elite is offline Audio Elite  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
I have thought about a sealed box and to use a sub (or subs) to cover the lower octaves, the AE TD15Xs need a 94 liter box for a q of 0.7 and it will go to around 60Hz for f3, 94 liter+bracing+other drivers wouldn't be much smaller than original 150 Liter in mind and it still need another set of driver(s) and amp and DSP to run the subs, so yeah, not convenient, with a net volume of 150 liter bass reflex box tuned at 30, the TD15Xs can breath a little & can go down to 37Hz and hopefully to 30Hz with some EQ which will make me happy, unless my cals are wrong.

I m not sure if anybody still following this but let me know if you are still interested in the project and what do you think of the changes.
I would love to see the outcome of this
Old 6th June 2019, 07:40 PM   #814
Bas Horneman is online now Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

#MeToo
Old 7th June 2019, 02:24 AM   #815
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post

This is not what the poll and the design goals were about -- but I like your idea. With a strong amplifier, you could also use a Linkwitz-EQ (active) to make the sealed box go lower.
Old 7th June 2019, 06:55 AM   #816
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Not completely clear for me, so the plan is to place the AE TD15X in a 94 L sealed box, and add subs later with extra transducers for more low frequency extension.
Also possible in a first concept to add active low frequency equalization to the TD15X in 94L with a Linkwitz transform, like Matthias is mentioning also.
Old 7th June 2019, 01:58 PM   #817
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
This is not what the poll and the design goals were about -- but I like your idea. With a strong amplifier, you could also use a Linkwitz-EQ (active) to make the sealed box go lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vancluysen View Post
Not completely clear for me, so the plan is to place the AE TD15X in a 94 L sealed box, and add subs later with extra transducers for more low frequency extension.
Also possible in a first concept to add active low frequency equalization to the TD15X in 94L with a Linkwitz transform, like Matthias is mentioning also.
Sorry if I was not clear, I was talking about the sealed option because it was mentioned in previous post.

What I was trying to say was that sealed option is not ideal here because of the reasons I mentioned.

Right now i m looking at a 150L net volume bass reflex box, if I remember correctly the original design for TD15Xs was 150L also before we decided to go with 240L "Extended Bass" version.

let me know what do you think of 150 liter bass reflex box, nothing else is changed.

So far I have participated in this project, same as the rest of you, but due to my new limited space I simply don't have enough room for two 240L titans, I would be happy if someone can take over and continue the project as it was planned, supposing we still have people interested, but if no one else is willing to take over the build, I m willing to go with a smaller 150L bass reflex.
Old 7th June 2019, 07:33 PM   #818
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

If you can do a 150L version, thats fine with me. If someone else wants to go 240L later, the only major change would be in the impedance compensation of the xover, which should not be a big deal.
Old 8th June 2019, 01:28 AM   #819
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

Im probably being Captain Obvious here, but I just want to point out that while the Linkwitz transform will allow you to get much more extension (lower f3) from a limited volume, the absolute limits for Xmech will remain the same. The max xpl at higher frequencies will decrease for the same music content (because Xmech will be reached sooner).

That said - I use Linkwitz transforms both on the mid and woofers, before doing other eq and xo. I like to straighten the curves a good bit beyond the xo frequency.

Johan-Kr
Old 9th June 2019, 11:39 PM   #820
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
this is my proposal,
Open Source "Tower XL"-txl-v3-drawing-jpg

Volume is about 160L net. we can offset the mid and tweeter if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXL V3 Drawing.jpg (392.8 KB, 245 views)

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!