Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2019, 11:47 PM   #801
jack_b is offline jack_b  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
No experience with the Acoust-X, but I have had good results with Noico damping sheets.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:07 AM   #802
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
ughh, very anxious to do so, but it is a very busy time and I better take my time on this.

I try to get the parts needed little by little, and for damping material I was think about car damping sheets to cover the walls (aside from damping wool) or
Acry-Tech Acoust-X 1 Gallon Absorption Coating Paintable Damping Material.
any experience with Acoust-X stuff ?
Not sure about the Acoust-X. I guess that would be a rather thin layer of material, so sound absorption wouldn't be much.

You'll need something a bit thicker than just "a bit of paint". Good old open-cell "egg foam" or thick felt (at least 1cm thick, but more would be better) works well. Wool is often used to stuff sealed enclosures. It is not so much used with bass reflex systems, where you want an unstuffed air volume, at least between the woofer and the port. I recently also came across "Basotect", and I tried it in the Monkey Coffin. Works well!

I'd suggest to build the box without any stuffing at all, and do some measurements first (impedance, acoustic) to see what you get. Then try adding different amounts and types of damping to treat the internal modes/resonances.
Old 7th March 2019, 04:46 PM   #803
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
I did stuff ported speakers in the past, but I guess with a box this size there s no need for that.
I will stick with damping material for the walls then, or you suggest to skip any damping for initial measurements ? that Basotect stuff is pretty expensive .

Last edited by Aatto; 7th March 2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 7th March 2019, 06:07 PM   #804
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Could try some No-rez.

No Rez 24"x27" Sheet
Old 7th March 2019, 07:25 PM   #805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I did stuff ported speakers in the past, but I guess with a box this size there s no need for that.
I will stick with damping material for the walls then, or you suggest to skip any damping for initial measurements ?
I prefer doing initial measurements without any damping at all, because that shows very clearly where the potentially problematic resonances are. Comparing measurements with/without damping may also very useful to understand what's going on in a speaker system.

Quote:
that Basotect stuff is pretty expensive .
I found some for a good price on ePay. Also take a look here.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:53 AM   #806
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, were are the good news?

lets put "fire" those drivers before they get dusted and rusted :P
Old 16th April 2019, 08:31 PM   #807
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
hey everybody

I can't wait to start working again, but we recently moved to a new place and I don't even know where most of my tools are.
It's been such busy couple of month but i m hoping to get back on this very soon.
Old 15th May 2019, 06:14 PM   #808
diyAudio Member

Hey Aatto, how are things? What can we do to get you going again?
Old 15th May 2019, 07:51 PM   #809
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Default :)

Hi mbrennwa
Yeah it has been a while, Life is happening and a lot have changed at my end, long story short, we moved to a new location and two 250L monstrosity would be a very tight fit for the living room, with just a foot or less away from the walls and each corners, and most important it will not be approved after the wife realizes the actual size of the speakers !

The reason I haven't brought this up before is that I wanted to find a solution before start tossing ideas around again, or me having to abandon the project.

The only option for me would be to reduce the foot print, making the front as narrow as possible (with about 15mm or less from the woofer edges to the sides) which I m not sure if it introduce new issues, also the height is limited to 47" (119cm) due to available sheet size of 48" and my limited tools and woodworking skills, so this will reduce the cabinet volume to original 150 liters we had in mind, which is not bad and I don't see any other way that I can make it work.

option number two is to sell the drivers and start over.

thoughts?
Old 16th May 2019, 07:01 AM   #810
diyAudio Member

It would be a shame to ditch the project. If Aatto can't continue building and testing the prototypes, is there anyone interested to take over from Aatto?

(Or does someone have a bigger appartment / house for Aatto? )

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!