Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2018, 03:05 PM   #781
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

hi pcgab,

last questions about woodwork:

how many watts has your router?
the circle guide is an accessory sold separately? how much it cost?
Old 15th December 2018, 03:30 PM   #782
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
I can make a pass with the router, jump a few spots down the circle guide, route, repeat, until I get to the final mark.
Why don't you use a larger router bit and do it in one pass? Do the small bits have any advantage over the large ones?
Old 15th December 2018, 04:09 PM   #783
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDSANSUI View Post
hi pcgab,

last questions about woodwork:

how many watts has your router?
the circle guide is an accessory sold separately? how much it cost?
The router is 1678 watts / 2.25 hp. It's the Bosch 1617 EVSPK I believe. Personally I have the MRC23EVSK, which is also an excellent router.

The circle jig looks like a Jasper circle jig, works very well. Not 100% sure which model pcgab has

mbrennwa, generally I have found that larger shank router bits will result in a better cut, but good results can be achieved with smaller ones as well as we can see from pcgab's excellent work here. The most important thing equipment-wise is to buy a high quality bit in my opinion, and to make sure you're using it properly (correct speed on your router, which I determine with scrap and trial and error). Personally, all my bits are Whiteside and CMT. I prefer the Whiteside ones slightly because I find I get somewhat better/cleaner cuts with them.
Old 15th December 2018, 04:57 PM   #784
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeFoodz View Post
The router is 1678 watts / 2.25 hp. It's the Bosch 1617 EVSPK I believe. Personally I have the MRC23EVSK, which is also an excellent router.

The circle jig looks like a Jasper circle jig, works very well. Not 100% sure which model pcgab has

mbrennwa, generally I have found that larger shank router bits will result in a better cut, but good results can be achieved with smaller ones as well as we can see from pcgab's excellent work here. The most important thing equipment-wise is to buy a high quality bit in my opinion, and to make sure you're using it properly (correct speed on your router, which I determine with scrap and trial and error). Personally, all my bits are Whiteside and CMT. I prefer the Whiteside ones slightly because I find I get somewhat better/cleaner cuts with them.

The bit I used to cut those is Whiteside, they make great bits.

Pretty sure that's the model router I have, and it is a Jasper circle jig. 'Jasper 200J Model 200 Circle Cutting Jig for Plunge Router'

I used that bit, a 1/4" cutting diameter bit because it was recently sharpened and it is a spiral down cut, which tends to leave the top face a bit cleaner. When I'm cutting work material that's clamped to a sacrificial top on my bench, I prefer the spiral down cut bit. This generally allows the cuts to be executed so that both end up with clean edges.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 15th December 2018, 05:03 PM   #785
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Why don't you use a larger router bit and do it in one pass? Do the small bits have any advantage over the large ones?
They don't have any real advantage in this use case. It was simply what I had available that was sharpest. For a small recess like this, 16-18mm IIRC, it only takes a minute or so to make multiple passes, so it's not terribly inconvenient.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 17th December 2018, 03:09 PM   #786
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
I wrapped up the insert for the TD8, got it flush like I wanted.

The mounting ring has a slight flare that makes the transition from cone to baffle even more smooth. Very well thought out driver.

Yes, my machinist square is dirty, I could sand it clean, but there's more important things in life..... single malt comes to mind.
Gable, That looks awesome
Cheers.
Old 17th December 2018, 03:19 PM   #787
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
I recieved the other HF107 over the weekend, it has been shipped in different packages but the guys at speakerdirect were very helpful.
HF107 looks very well built as you would expect from Faital, it is a big CD and has some weight to it, I dont have my DATS with me at the moment, but we will do some measurements soon.
what was more impressive was build quiality of STH100, solid aluminum piece (casted of course) looks heavy duty, I will post some pics
Old 18th December 2018, 02:31 PM   #788
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC7204.jpg (306.3 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7213.jpg (299.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7214.jpg (295.8 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7217.jpg (316.7 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7221.jpg (296.2 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7223.jpg (338.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7227.jpg (359.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7228.jpg (369.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 19th December 2018, 07:15 AM   #789
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Beautiful!
Old 25th December 2018, 02:41 AM   #790
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Merry Christmas and happy holidays

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!