Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2018, 03:46 PM   #41
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vancluysen View Post
IMO the ATC SCM150 cabinet concept, apart from the midrange dimension at this time, is the most interesting for this project to get the targets.
like this :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xl55.jpg (64.4 KB, 550 views)
Old 25th September 2018, 04:17 PM   #42
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

AE TD6M as midrange maybe ?

With a 15 inch woofer the X-over crossover frequency with the midrange cannot be too high; 400 Hz max, dependent on the woofer characteristics in the mid frequency region.
So a 3 inch midrange combination will become at the limit.

ATC crosses at 380 Hz with their 3 inch midrange. That woofer has a Sd = 774 cm2 (they specify a diameter of 314 mm). That is already a little less than the mean 15 inch driver.

We have to find a 15 inch woofer with a not too high Le value, that it can operate up to a few hundred Hz.
Old 25th September 2018, 04:17 PM   #43
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
4- 2x 8 or 10" inch woofers per cabinet (4 ohms in series ).
Pros: ?
Cons: ?
Could achieve 91dB half space with 1-2 10" drivers.
Seas CA26RE4X one of these has 91 dB efficiency, should be able to get down to F3 of 36 Hz
Satori WO24P-4 two of these would work for 91dB, but expensive.
Old 25th September 2018, 05:03 PM   #44
Zonneschimmel is offline Zonneschimmel  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't call anything with a driver larger then a 10" on the front a "tower".

I'm using the WO24p-4 at the moment (1 per side) together with the 5" satori and the satori Neo tweeter. It's a wonderful driver.

I'm also not the intended audience for this project ;-)
Old 25th September 2018, 05:45 PM   #45
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonneschimmel View Post
I wouldn't call anything with a driver larger then a 10" on the front a "tower".
That is my thought as well. I could maybe see stretching it to 12 inches... maybe. But 15 no longer qualifies as a tower in my book. I suppose we could always side mount a larger driver or two though.
Old 25th September 2018, 06:13 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vancluysen View Post
AE TD6M as midrange maybe ?

With a 15 inch woofer the X-over crossover frequency with the midrange cannot be too high; 400 Hz max, dependent on the woofer characteristics in the mid frequency region. So a 3 inch midrange combination will become at the limit.

ATC crosses at 380 Hz with their 3 inch midrange. That woofer has a Sd = 774 cm2 (they specify a diameter of 314 mm). That is already a little less than the mean 15 inch driver.

We have to find a 15 inch woofer with a not too high Le value, that it can operate up to a few hundred Hz.
+1 for AE TD6M and also I like lower XO point for woofer/mid anyways. the closest we got was the Eminence Kappa 15FLA. we do not have much options for woofer. they are just simply not many single driver out there w specs we need, so maybe we may have to look at this from another perspective, instead of looking for a driver to match our needs maybe we can find a way to get close to the goal with the drivers we have available. anyhow another driver would be FaitalPro 15PR400. needs quite large cabinet tho (~200 liters).

Last edited by Aatto; 25th September 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 25th September 2018, 06:19 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeFoodz View Post
Could achieve 91dB half space with 1-2 10" drivers.
Seas CA26RE4X one of these has 91 dB efficiency, should be able to get down to F3 of 36 Hz
Satori WO24P-4 two of these would work for 91dB, but expensive.
you ll need a woofer with sensitivity close to 100 (98-99db) do be able to achieve close to 92db in over all sensitivity after baffle step and all that with a single 91db driver you will end up with close to about 82-83db.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonneschimmel View Post
But have to keep in mind that this is not a regular home hifi WAF friendly tower. a tower with this specs will be gigantic, it is just physics.
Old 25th September 2018, 07:42 PM   #48
Drummer2005 is offline Drummer2005  United States
diyAudio Member

This will be the WTF tower! The Wife Tingle Factor tower!
�� Glenn.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:21 PM   #49
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Still here! Just have a lot on my plate right now...

What about using two Faital 12FH500? They can be had in 16ohm impedance, so may be possible to use in the same chamber because of parallel connection, and they seem well suited for this application?

Edit:
WTF....? Won't Tinkerbell Ffffffffffff.... forget? Or insert other suitable f-word.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 25th September 2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:50 PM   #50
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
+1 for AE TD6M and also I like lower XO point for woofer/mid anyways. the closest we got was the Eminence Kappa 15FLA. we do not have much options for woofer. they are just simply not many single driver out there w specs we need, so maybe we may have to look at this from another perspective, instead of looking for a driver to match our needs maybe we can find a way to get close to the goal with the drivers we have available. anyhow another driver would be FaitalPro 15PR400. needs quite large cabinet tho (~200 liters).
Hi Aatto,

Probably, one of the two drivers option below will achieve the targets for the LF driver, but I think they are available just here in Brazil, the costs wouldn't be a problem with the current ratio (4,20 R$/U$), but I don't know if this constrain is too much for a world wide project.

Snake HPX2150 (Price = ~U$180 )

Sensitivity: 99dB SPL
Fs: 41,00 Hz
Re: 4,7 ohms
Qms: 9,627
Qes: 0,245
Qts: 0,239
Vas: 150,8 L
Sd: 0,088 m
Xmax: 8,5 mm
Le: 1,08 mH
Bl: 20,157 T/m
No: 4,4%
Mms: 105,0 g
Pe: 800 W

Snake ESX155 (Price = ~U$160 )

Sensitivity: 97dB SPL
Fs: 35,00 Hz
Re: 5,0 ohms
Qms: 7,123
Qes: 0,362
Qts: 0,345
Vas: 193,0 L
Sd: 0,088 m
Xmax: 9,5 mm
Le: 0,92 mH
Bl: 18,5 T/m
No: 2,6%
Mms: 107,0 g
Pe: 600 W

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!