Open Source "Tower XL"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aatto,

Very good that you have taken a decision, now we can continue with the design.
We can focus first at the CD –driver and add other options later.
AMT with horn like Beyma TPL-150H and some Mundorfs with horn are very interesting also, and the dome with waveguide of course.
From my side I will fully support all, if there is interest in.

Last edited:
Aatto,

Very good that you have taken a decision, now we can continue with the design.
We can focus first at the CD –driver and add other options later.
AMT with horn like Beyma TPL-150H and some Mundorfs with horn are very interesting also, and the dome with waveguide of course.
From my side I will fully support all, if there is interest in.

Paul, I appreciate your support, I compared the HF10AK and HF107 datasheets, and as far as my knowledge goes both drivers share a lot of similarities, the diaphragm shape is dome vs annular tho, which I do not know the difference ( i mean sound quality wise ).

with STH100 in mind we can finalize the test cabinet :)

I compared the HF10AK and HF107 datasheets, and as far as my knowledge goes both drivers share a lot of similarities, the diaphragm shape is dome vs annular tho, which I do not know the difference ( i mean sound quality wise ).
I am totally not experienced in this. At first sight and if I understand it well, the annular tweeter is a super tweeter that has an improved high frequency response.
Here you find the patent of such super tweeter, US20050238197A1 - Super tweeter
- Google Patents
Maybe others know more about this...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
still couldn't find other retailer than that ;)

seas_h1025_27tf1.jpg

Seas Prestige 27TF1 (H1025)
With the help of the chassis overview page you find more than 5000 loudspeaker chassis.

=> more loudspeakers of this brand.

open a bigger photo

Seas Prestige 27TF1 (H1025) order no. seas-H1025-06 EUR 44,50
excl. VAT: € 37.39 / $ 42.63
26 mm tweeter with high quality cone.
power handling (continuous/programme) = 60/150 W
frequency range = 1800-22000 Hz
resonance frequency fs = 900 Hz
impedance R = 6 Ohm
sound pressure level SPL = 92 dB (2,83V; 1m)
DC resistance Re = 4,8 Ohm
force factor BL = 3,8 N/A
voice coil inductance L = 0,05 mH
effective piston radiating area Sd = 7,6 cm2
effective mechanical mass incl. air load mms = 0,29 g
voice coil diameter = 26 mm
mounting diameter d = 75 mm
overall diameter d = 103,8 mm
mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 24 mm
show kits to this chassis hide kits
The cabinet volume calculations are executed considering an external resistance of 0.3 Ohm. We are using, if no other data is known or available, the information supplied by the manufacturer.

Please note: the frequency response doesn't say much about the cut-off frequency inside the cabinet! Therefore, we mostly give you 2 examples with dimensioning considerations and an indication, how low the loudspeaker will reproduce.
Home

© Copyright 2015 Iris Strassacker; All rights reserved. - errors and omissions excepted

More info: Test Seas Noferro 900 (H 1025-06) – Heissmann Acoustics

Last edited:
I am totally not experienced in this. At first sight and if I understand it well, the annular tweeter is a super tweeter that has an improved high frequency response.
Here you find the patent of such super tweeter, US20050238197A1 - Super tweeter
- Google Patents
Maybe others know more about this...

thanks Paul, it makes sense.
however, looking at the FR curve of the HF10AK, seems like it has more relaxed extended range above 20k, comapred to HF107 that start to fall off, which is not a biggie at all.
I would like to see if anyone esle has any comments about HF10AK vs HF107 before I order :)

however, looking at the FR curve of the HF10AK, seems like it has more relaxed extended range above 20k, comapred to HF107 that start to fall off, which is not a biggie at all.

Remark that the resonance frequency of the HF10AK is lower and also the frequency range is 0.8 - 20 kHz and 1.3 - 20 kHz for the HF107. Recommended crossover freaquency is the same at 1.3 kHz.
Indeed, it should be interesting if someone could tell more about the sound quality.

Edit: Looking to the SPL around 10 kHz of both, the HF107 is more difficult tp equalize with a passive filter I expect.

Last edited:
Have you considered cutting the top cabinet edges above the woofer with a 1.5" radius quarter round router bit? You could also round the edges below the 15" woofer to maintain this style-point. On an 18" wide cabinet the STH100 and TD8M are small enough to allow this round-over. Earl Geddes SUMMA horn tweeter speaker cabinets all have large radius edge quarter rounds.

Attachments

• 1.5in quarter round.jpg
    1.5in quarter round.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Have you considered cutting the top cabinet edges above the woofer with a 1.5" radius quarter round router bit? You could also round the edges below the 15" woofer to maintain this style-point. On an 18" wide cabinet the STH100 and TD8M are small enough to allow this round-over. Earl Geddes SUMMA horn tweeter speaker cabinets all have large radius edge quarter rounds.

That's a great idea, the bits certainly aren't inexpensive, but that size of round-over should make a noticeable improvement in diffraction mitigation.

Cheers,
Gable

How easy it is to do on kitchen table? That kind of bit needs some monster router.

You should be able to use a standard ~2.25hp/12a router. You would want to do so incrementally, ie: slowly work down to the full ~1.5" round-over, in multiple passes. You will be taking off only small amounts of material with each pass, which puts less load on the router, and makes it much safer/easier to handle.

I've made the mistake of trying to use a large round-over bit in one pass. It bites into the material, makes a mess and tries to jerk itself out of your hands.

No fun, dangerous and typically makes a mess of your material. :D

Cheers,
Gable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.