Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 01:21 PM   #281
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vancluysen View Post
Some thought:

Choosing the TD8M midrange, what will be the alternative 8 inch midrange choice? IMO, we have to try to make the same driver configuration for the two options if possible. Otherwise we will make two different speakers in some way.

Some AE driver dimensions can be found here, Index of /pdfs
as of now AE website has 10x TD8M ready to ship in stock. we will see how my experience goes w AE.
Old Today, 01:36 PM   #282
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
claiming it is too expensive seems a tad odd.
That was my thought as well when I suggested the Satori TW29BN-B-8 before Aatto said it was too expensive.

I believe we've allocated a somewhat large proportion of the target driver price to the woofer and midrange, which is why we are trying to keep the tweeter price in check.
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #283
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes Paul, the Faital drivers exhibit some resonant behaviour around ca 20hz, this is most likely because of the parameters and the loading is below fs, it is not a problem for me at all when this behaviour is pushed so low in the spectrum, because I can barely hear 20hz at all, let alone if there is an issue with delay or not.
20hz wavelength is about 17 meters or so, and ~30ms delay is less than one wavelength (ca 50ms?) at 20hz. Not trying to bagatellize the issue, but this is exactly the reason I wanted to push resonant behaviour below 30hz, because it will most likely be inaudible. It is also below tuning frequency, I seriously doubt you can perceive it in real life.

The AE TD15X has low group delay because it can not work efficiently in the box and struggles against the design. Personally I blame the low mechanical resistance, but all the parameters work together. The mechanical resistance is part of why you get such low fs, but it demands a much bigger box to be effective. The AE TD15M might be a better choice for this, as I can not understand who will feed this speaker with several hundred watts of power, there should be no need for the high xmax the TD15X provides, and the high xmax value is also wasted, because the box is not optimal for the TD15X.

Edit:
Shortening the port to 33cm works out nicely for the TD15X, but then it goes flat to 40hz and there's no sound under 30hz probably.

Last edited by KaffiMann; Today at 02:06 PM.
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #284
diyAudio Member

I meant to say High mechanical resistance.
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #285
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Kaffimann,

I can follow your way of thinking, you like to make a low loss tuning at low frequency. You have a point that the Rms of the TD15X is higher, almost a factor 2.
Do you have experience with the sound of such system, I mean the one like with the Faital?
Have you checked if the F6 and F10 of your and my simulations are about the same? Just to evaluate my Leap BR simulation. It is rather difficult to have a good view on the cabinet and port loss settings in Leap.
Old Today, 05:08 PM   #286
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

how about increasing the volume to 170?
Old Today, 07:01 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vancluysen View Post
Do you have experience with the sound of such system, I mean the one like with the Faital?...
This here is what I am listening to every single day. Not quite as good as the faital, but comparable.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is what it measures like using only 5 bands of EQ and no xo, both left and right channels in-room.
Click the image to open in full size.

THD + N is measured at 1.5%/ca 13.5hz, which is the highest number before the spl rolls off.
You can have a look in my dusty thread.
Old Today, 07:45 PM   #288
EuroChamp is online now EuroChamp
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

this thread is very interesting for me - thank you all for your time and effort.

I am in a very similar situation: I want to build a 3-way with 15"/8"/tweeter. It should have 8 Ohm minimum and excellent sensivity - for my tube amp. SQ is my primary concern. The design is almost complete (in my brain). But the bass chassis is not finally selected.
The vented woofer should get approx. 120l (more is possible but not welcome).

I have to agree, the Faital PRO 15FH500-8 is one of the most interesting. And I want to bring the 18-Sound 15LW1500 into play, it calculates almost identical. And the Faital Pro 15PR400.
All three do fit in your project.

There are some good woofers out there, but eighter they need a very large cabinet, or sensivity is too low, or they do not play deep enough - you certainly know that.

reg.,
Bernhard

Last edited by EuroChamp; Today at 07:54 PM.
Old Today, 08:04 PM   #289
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
This here is what I am listening to every single day. Not quite as good as the faital, but comparable.
Nice! Almost the same BR system as the one we have in mind now.
Did you try also a higher tuning frequency with that speaker to compare with, more B4?

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!