Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2018, 07:28 PM   #11
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Yes, I've been looking at some Faital woofers. They are pricy though. A decent matching mid also drains the wallet rather quickly, not to mention a good quality tweeter. Wow, I seem like "mr. Optimistic" himself all of a sudden...
Old 20th September 2018, 07:36 PM   #12
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Aatto,

The sims, all B4 alignments.

BMS 15N630
Cabinet = 125 L and tuned at 39 Hz, F3 = 40 Hz and sensitivity = 96 dB half space

Faital Pro 15FH520
Cabinet = 130 L and tuned at 39 Hz, F3 = 39 Hz and sensitivity = 96.5 dB half space

Eminence Kappa 15FLA
Cabinet = 145 L and tuned at 39 Hz, F3 = 40 Hz and sensitivity = 97.4 dB half space

The Eminence Kappa needs more volume, because of lower Qts and higher Vas. Highest sensitivity, 91.4 dB full space ... almost the 92dB full space.

The Faital has a high Qms = 10.25, interesting...

Last edited by Paul Vancluysen; 20th September 2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:43 PM   #13
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
So Eminence Kappa 15FLA is the winner so far.
this FaitalPro 15PR400 also looks good but need larger cabinet, Humble Homemade Hifi used it in Calpanos (200 liter tuned to 37Hz -3db. better priced than FaitalPro 15FH520.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:50 PM   #14
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
Achieving a high efficiency 8 ohm speaker with low extension is the main factor here and all falls under woofer's territory, so I suggest to start with possible woofer candidates.
I would suggest a poll is in order to see how many users will accept a 15" woofer > especially when a pair of 12" woofs would also ( more than ) deliver the SPL & extension requirements.

A pair of 12" woofers can offer more design flexibility ( ie; TMWW, > even a 3.5 arrangement ) and give a nicer looking tower ( IMHO )

Old 21st September 2018, 03:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
totally agree about the looks and the fact that if we can achieve that with smaller woofer there's no need for a huge 15 incher, but finding a woofer even within 15 inch range to meet needed specs is not easy, 16 ohm woofer for a TMWW also not easy to come by, so what do you suggest ?
Old 21st September 2018, 03:17 PM   #16
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlK View Post
I would suggest a poll is in order to see how many users will accept a 15" woofer > especially when a pair of 12" woofs would also ( more than ) deliver the SPL & extension requirements.

A pair of 12" woofers can offer more design flexibility ( ie; TMWW, > even a 3.5 arrangement ) and give a nicer looking tower ( IMHO )
We've had that discussion before. I fully agree with your, except that using two woofers means you'll have to find suitable 16 Ohm drivers. The choice is rather limited compared to the 8 Ohm world.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Aatto, mbrennwa,

Right, I forgot you're currently set on a minimum 8 ohm impedance.

For my own purposes, I always allow 4 ohms as the minimum impedance.

You may find that others may accept that lower impedance choice ( POLL ? ), once they understand the trade-off realities ( when pursuing sensitivity ).

Last edited by EarlK; 21st September 2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:47 PM   #18
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlK View Post
You may find that others may accept that lower impedance choice ( POLL ? ), once they understand the trade-off realities ( when pursuing sensitivity ).
That was already covered in the poll of the "part II thread".
Old 21st September 2018, 04:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Really?

I guess I missed some implied meanings that were baked into that poll (since there's no specific mention about impedance limits in any of the polling questions that I can see).

I now wonder how many others may be in the same boat (regarding confusion over "what's an allowable impedance curve").

Old 21st September 2018, 04:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Most of the specs are covered in the first post of this thread but please let me know if I missed something or if it is vague

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!