Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2018, 08:39 PM   #111
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

If it is possible to meet the design goals using bass reflex rather than TL (or pseudo-MLTL), I would be inclined to say it would be better to stick with bass reflex. I think this because, if I remember correctly, it is also a design goal that this speaker be intended for someone newer to speaker building to pick up and build, and bass reflex is a more common, easier design to build and understand for the new DIYer, particularly if pseudo-MLTL is as picky and finicky as I've read that TL designs are with respect to stuffing.

Just my thoughts as a newer DIYer myself, but I would be more inclined to pick up a project that is simpler to get right at this point. Keep it simple!
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:06 PM   #112
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

My opinion is also to choose for a concept that is well known for most of us, not too complex, low risk. TL is more difficult to optimize and less people are experienced in it.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:25 PM   #113
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

agreed, as much as i like to try a TL but it calls for more prototyping and it wouldn't be easy, we can try a TL after we done with bass reflex it would be a good study and also much easier since we already steps ahead.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:28 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDSANSUI View Post
Hi Paul,

Brian suggestion is not exactly a standard TL, it's more simple to simulated and to build as BR. Easy to simulate with Hornresp, he also has a worksheet in excell file. If this particualr design is welcome, he might help to optimize a proposal with the AE TD15X driver, so you and the others can compare the solutions. He use to help a lot in this forum.
off topic.
just thought of something, I have a WAW(FAST) w SBA woofer, maybe I can start a thread to design a TL or pseudo-MLTL around that, but for now i have to wait and see how this goes.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:42 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

You can help "Open Source Monkey Box" here: GoFundMe
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:44 PM   #116
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

done. 25 CHF
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:03 AM   #117
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
you cann't have higher SPL than the driver itself, your result have 99db for 18Sound driver while the driver itself has only 97.
Sorry to disagree but a clarification is needed, the sentence above is wrong because technically is possible to achieve higher efficiency based on two things:
  • Space radiation
  • Enclosure type
Specifically for the 18Sound 15W750 simulation, the datasheet value was measured at free space (4pi) using 125L sealed box while the simulation was done using half-space (2pi) and bass reflex.
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:56 AM   #118
Paul Vancluysen is offline Paul Vancluysen  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry to disagree but a clarification is needed, the sentence above is wrong because technically is possible to achieve higher efficiency based on two things:
  • Space radiation
  • Enclosure type
Specifically for the 18Sound 15W750 simulation, the datasheet value was measured at free space (4pi) using 125L sealed box while the simulation was done using half-space (2pi) and bass reflex.
The 18Sound 15W750 has a sensitivity of 99.5dB in half space if calulated out of the TSP parameters.
It is B4 basrelflex for Vb = 175 L and tuned at fB = 42 Hz, then F3 = 42 Hz.
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:14 PM   #119
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
Quote:
done. 25 CHF
Great, thanks!
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:50 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
  • Space radiation
  • Enclosure type
ok, thought we r done w this, we are not talking "technically", yes technically we can go active and achieve 100db from a 90db driver ! while at it we can also use dsp and eq and get the flattest respond too but it is not about this project and I assumed we are talking within this project and same goes with 18Sound driver, one would assume you are talking full space unless mentioned other wise, and if this helps and makes thing go faster yes you were right, technically that MAYBE possible and yes we can achieve 99db half space from a driver w 97db full space hope we can let go and move on now.

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!