Open Source Monkey Box

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I undercut the countersink on my VM752 since I felt it needed to be mounted "firmly" to carry the weight/screw. It will countersink some just from the torque. If you have any material left over you can experiment.
Don, thats exactly what I did now. For the case that it doesn't work out I also have screw rosettes.
I also have 1mm foam-mats for mounting the speakers.
Thanks for the hint with the cables for the VM.

Boris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some progress...

Installing the VM was no fun at all. One of the holes in the baffle was a little off, less than a millimeter, but enough to make it impossible to get a screw in the thread. Apart from that, I noticed that the threads in the VM were all a bit stiff, so I re-cut them all.
The faint-hearted should stop reading from here… I was still not able to get this one screw in its hole, so I took the VM and drilled out all the threads. Now everything fits but I had to put washers and nyloc-nuts behind the VM, which was a bit fiddly.
I made countersinks in the front, but finally decided to install the driver with the rosettes, because it looked much better for me (my wife agreed, but I don’t think she cares much for these details).
For the other drivers I also got these drive-in-nuts, which Matthias recommended and used, but I was to scary to use them. So I fastened thethem with nylock-nuts.

Boris

front01.jpg
damping01.jpg

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Matthias,
Getting close, next weekend should be first full sound effect
Down to the last detail. I need to know how you recommend the pyramid foam be done on my "tower" speakers. There is a back view on post #1352. I have your build guide. Thanks in advance. Also, any guidance on foam on the back panel would be nice. Ports are pretty close to middle of bass speaker vertically.

Thank you,
Don

I need to know how you recommend the pyramid foam be done on my "tower" speakers.
There is no simple answer to that. The Melamine foam is very effective, so too much of this stuff will "suck out the life" of the sound. I'd say go with as little as you can, and use it in the right spots. I'd start by one (or two?) layers at the top and at the bottom to attenuate the vertical mode of the "tower" as much as possible. Then some (thin?) layers on (some parts of) the side/rear walls. Just try what works for you and how your ears like it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Received the aluminium profiles for my speaker stands yesterday. Assembling was fun.
I already put the x-over on three separate boards, but now I will try to put them on one board (without desoldring everything), which fits inside the stands.
The coils have to snuggle up a bit but I like this solution better than the separate boxes.

IMG_20220204_171604.jpg

IMG_20220205_155512.jpg

IMG_20220205_155514.jpg

IMG_20220205_155547.jpg

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Received the aluminium profiles for my speaker stands yesterday. Assembling was fun.
I already put the x-over on three separate boards, but now I will try to put them on one board (without desoldring everything), which fits inside the stands.
The coils have to snuggle up a bit but I like this solution better than the separate boxes.

View attachment 1022289

View attachment 1022290

View attachment 1022291

View attachment 1022292
hi Planet, where did you get the aluminum profiles?

I haven't been getting the watched thread updates from the new site... I think I have it sorted now....plus, been busy.
Some AWESOME progress happening here!
A friend had me put on Dark Side of the Moon the other day, vinyl. Suffice it to say I thought I'd heard all the bass that could be heard from these speaks. We were both pretty shocked—there are some LOW tones on that record. Fantastic!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
First light!
I couldn’t wait anymore and connected the speakers provisional for a first listening test yesterday (the x-over is still not in its final place).
Of course it’s much too early to make any serious descriptions of the sound, nothing is run in etc.
But there are some distinct qualities I noticed right from the start: the bass is tight, articulate and pretty deep, the overall resolution and particularly the resolution of the midrange is top-notch. I heard some details I never heard before.
Fortunately the overall character is similar to my former speakers, except that it makes everything much better. So I don’t have too much struggle to change my listening habits.

I had some problems finding the right positioning in my room. I’m listening in the far-field and the room has some asymmetries near the speaker positions. Voices, which should have been in the middle between the speakers, appear always a bit to the right side. I had this problem with my former speakers too and it took me some time to figure out how to place them best. I was hoping that the waveguides would help getting the room a bit more out of the equation. I ended up by a heavily toed in position, with the speaker-axis crossing at my listening position.
But as I said, that was all a quickie- as soon as the x-overs are in its place, I will let them run in properly and then comes the final optimization & positioning.

What really speaks for these speakers: intended as a first sound-check, I wanted to play a lot of very different tracks that I know very well, but every time I started a track I was immediately captured by the music and didn’t want to skip the track and just kept on following the music…

Reactions: 1 user