Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source Monkey Box
Open Source Monkey Box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2020, 04:56 PM   #1131
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Ah feet... ten thousand theories out there. Just try a few things to see what works for you. It might not really matter that much.
Old 15th September 2020, 09:56 PM   #1132
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Backs and bracing in! Well, still have some work to do on the backs for screws.

Matthias—I may have asked at some point...didn't make a note if so—What's the story with pyramid foam on the back panel? Yes? No? Cut the pyramids off? I don't mind adjusting later—just curious how you think I should start.

I will do the foam before exterior finishing...

Open Source Monkey Box-osmc-baffle_05-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSMC-Baffle_05.jpg (615.3 KB, 651 views)
Old 16th September 2020, 01:14 AM   #1133
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Actually a couple of additional questions Matthias—Re: the back foam question above—found an earlier post where you stated no foam on the back panel.

- Screw spacing on the back panel? Opinions? Was thinking around 153mm head to head (6" spacing). I have some very nice German 1/8" foam tape for sealing, has the right amount of give. The back panel has zero flex being full thickness material.

- Where does the bass port measurement start? Overall length? Inside cabinet measurement? Was going to start with the longer dimension of 11cm noted in your paper.

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2020, 05:26 AM   #1134
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Back panel foam: I ended up with a bit of foam on behind the woofer. Just try and see how you like the sound. Too much damping, and the bass is too lean. Too little damping, and the lower mids get affected by the internal resonances.

Screw distance: sounds good to me.

Port length is overall length. Again, try and see how you like it best. Longer port gives deeper bass, shorter port gives more punch.
Old 16th September 2020, 01:05 PM   #1135
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Yeah! Thanks.
Old 19th September 2020, 02:53 AM   #1136
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
OMG.

In all likelihood these will be playing music this weekend!

10 coats of finish. Hmmm.... I never take notes, which is terrible—so this is always somewhat of an experiment—but suffice to it to say they are coming out great. The surface has that high-end hand rubbed look—with some depth in person. I wouldn't want glossy cabinets no matter what—personal opinion—and the white was to appease the "designer" family. In hard light you can still see the wood grain and even, thin brush strokes. I didn't try to make the layers of Russian ply go away completely on the rounded corners....

Making the speakOn cables now—other than that—it's a little steel wool after 24hrs, and installation of drivers! Really can't wait. (I didn't make the grills yet—probably should soon or they will never happen—glad I put magnets in place for the future though)

Thanks Matthias!!!!!!!!

Open Source Monkey Box-osmc-finish_01-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_01.jpg (453.6 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_02.jpg (551.9 KB, 234 views)
Old 19th September 2020, 10:43 AM   #1137
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Gorgeous work!

Old 19th September 2020, 02:30 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Thanks P.A.!

Tweeter teaser! Plus a question—noob style—but you never know. See spade attachment point for the Volt mid. I'm assuming I'll just solder the the neg directly? Prior to install of course, making sure to not mess with the connection that's there? It's been painted red by Volt—red means "stop"—that threw me for a second, haha—or maybe there's something I'm missing?

Edit:::::!!!!::::

FACE PALM! Haha. I knew something was "wrong"... I looked at the opposite side of the driver! OKAY—def noob moment. Ignore me plz. I'm WAY TOO excited to get these playing. LOL.

Open Source Monkey Box-osmc-finish_03-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_03.jpg (318.5 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg OSMC-Volt_01.jpg (684.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by pfarrell; 19th September 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 20th September 2020, 03:02 AM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Default NO WORDS

What does it mean when a single OSMC speaker—in this case the left channel (had to test it right? even with the right not finished)—sounds BETTER as mono, than your previous pair of dual 2x 4" single driver speakers, that were made with love on the East coast of USA?

Or, my new favorite quote from Jim (6L6)— "Build your last speaker first"? Haha. Since this was the first time I built speakers.

Seriously I think I should just send Matthias a blank check.

My wife has dubbed them "The Stormtroopers". Pretty much all in the family are happy to make room for these—the joy they brought tonight with the windows open, hearing the music outside, then I'd enter the room! Holy F@#!. BIG thanks to Matthias and all those that contributed. Not sure I will sleep much tonight in anticipation of listening tomorrow. Haven't even put the SP-10MK2 to the test—the DAC sounded so seriously good—and it PALES in comparison to the vinyl. More serious listening to come....

On a design note: I will be ripping the tops of my angled crossover "plinths" flat and making 1/4" clear plexi covers for them. One of them I had to move around a bit since it was picking up AC! Everything was powered down and the left sounded like it was "on", only audible in a quiet room, ear to drivers... all of them...

Also—will shoot some "pro" images soon.

Just WOW.

Open Source Monkey Box-osmc-finish_04-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_04.jpg (371.0 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_05.jpg (383.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_06.jpg (635.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg OSMC-Finish_07.jpg (587.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 20th September 2020, 08:53 AM   #1140
diyAudio Member

Open Source Monkey Box
Wow! I have never seen such beautiful Stormtroopers!!!

It feels great to see how others put life to the OSMC design, and it's ever better if they like the result. Great work, pfarrell!

The AC pickup in your xover is interesting. I never observed this (with the OSMC or any other speaker). Does it change if you rotate the xovers (and hence the inductors) by 90°? Does it happen with both xovers if they are placed at the same spot? What might cause the strong AC fields in your home?

Open Source Monkey BoxHide this!Advertise here!