Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3 way active system "hole in a center" imaging problem ... help
3 way active system "hole in a center" imaging problem ... help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No 1 check the Polarity.
No 2 recheck the polarity
If you are worried about the corner loading then temporarily relocate the speakers to check.
If anything has reversed the phase on any of the drivers then you will never get it to sound right! Don't waste your's or anybody else's time until you are sure they are correct.
Old 19th September 2018, 09:53 PM   #12
spendormania is offline spendormania  Germany
diyAudio Member

@ Dannyjmf:

Check this one out, especially 0:13.

YouTube
Old 19th September 2018, 11:35 PM   #13
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

About 10 years ago, I bought a mint Sony/MCA broadcasting console from a closing studio for almost nothing. The studio owner said the console sounds horrible and no one wants to use it for more than 10 years. Well, I found that it was because about a half of the patch bay polarity (hot and cold) was wrongly connected.

Check polarity first.
Old 20th September 2018, 01:01 AM   #14
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Put the speakers right next to each other. Connect one amp channel to both speakers in parallel.
Play something at a nice level for your face a foot away from the drivers dead center.
Head at woof level, you should hear the bass dead nuts between the drivers. Repeat with mids and highs.

If all center exactly, relative polarity is correct, if not you know where to look.

Jn
Ah, just noticed active. Play a mono signal then. Balance is not a real problem, adjust levels for a centered image.

Last edited by jneutron; 20th September 2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 20th September 2018, 10:00 AM   #15
dannyjmf is offline dannyjmf  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone ... problem solved

Really is the wiring culprit ... my midrange wiring inside the enclosure was accidentally reversed for the right side speaker

Again sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for all the helps ... See you all soon
Old 20th September 2018, 10:20 AM   #16
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Nice you identified and solved the issue!
I must say not everybody does identify that kind of phase issue, i ve heard system in so called 'professional' environnement which had same problem and nobody seems to care about (experience more or less similar from Plasnu's example).
The comment from Xoc1 should not be taken as harsh sounding cause for professional (he is one) it is very obvious that this kind of issue come 99% from miswiring.
This is much less obvious for someone with less experience.
Anyway now you experienced it you'll recognise it each time you'll encounter. It drive me crazy when i am at a liveact ( it happen more often than never...) and experience this, it's difficult to explain the engineer you identified a problem which he have not...

Last edited by krivium; 20th September 2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 20th September 2018, 10:49 AM   #17
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

"Wrong polarity" in one driver of a 2-or 3-way speaker is not always easy to solve. One should measure each speaker's response and check impulse/step. It depends on crossover, which way is the intended polarity - it might be reversed, usually the mid in a 3-way!

I am familiar with this issue too! I have "corrected" some speaker wirings before I understood the complexity...

Last edited by Juhazi; 20th September 2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 20th September 2018, 10:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

ya it is my first biggest venture into triamp sytem ... previously was on biamp system till i get bored finally gave in to try something new ... but being lazy due to the need for building the enclouse ... so happen to have a friend of mine want to scrap this pair of speaker due to their original drivers were damaged and internal passive crossover were burned ... at the plus side of no need to build an enclosure from scratch but i still have to enlarge the hole for my new midrange and recut terminals for active 3 ways ...

FYI these drivers were not the original ones for these enclosure ...

Below the photos can be seen from the first to the last one ... the original drivers ... terminal add on for triamping (below is the original terminal) ... cutouts modified for new drivers ... modified system
Old 20th September 2018, 11:01 AM   #19
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Dannyjmf, could you detail the filter you used?
Do you have measurement gear ( measurement microphone and soundcard with preamp)?
Old 20th September 2018, 11:05 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

12db oct LR filter for each driver ...

nope i dont have any measurement equipment ... but only using WINISD tone generator ...

I am still a Degree Year student that cant afford to spend on too much ...

3 way active system "hole in a center" imaging problem ... helpHide this!Advertise here!