Tri amp - which way to go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I am currently building a tri amp system which is a mtmww. I have a passive MTM crossover sorted and it sounds good.

Do you think i should drive the MTM with one channel and existing passive and then drive each woofer with its own active channel? or should i ditch the passive and drive 1 channel for tweeter, 1 for mid and 1 for bass?

Cheers Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I recently converted from passive LR2 XO driven by a diy GM70 SE amp into my 3 way speaker system to fully active with a dedicated amplifier channel for each driver. I thought it was pretty good passive, but much better now with fully active set up driven by diy LR4 3 way line level XO into 3 channels of diy SE power amps. (The system is a high efficiency set up with horns on mids and highs) Rather a lot of electronics as you might guess.

Was definitely worth it IMO.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My wife often asks me to turn the volume down and I'm in the man cave which is located under the living room. She and our pet rabbits have variable attitudes wrt what I am listening to at any given time.. LOL

Quite a lot of tweaking involved so far and I am currently working on the design of a parametric room EQ for the system.

I thought I would use the same xo points as in the old system and ended up with everything different.

A mini-dsp should be very flexible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.