eminence -alpha- 8A as mid bass in 3 way active speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
Is it foolish of me to consider a pro-audio 8inch speaker as mid- bass to be used in a 3 way active tower speaker build .The towers will use 3way 24db active linkwitz riley crossover with their individual amps and power supply. I am considering two 8inch subwoofer in a ported enclosure to match the sensitivity level of the eminence 8A mid bass speakers in a 5-7L sealed enclosure and the lower side crossover to the subs will around 200hz or lower and I plan on using the XT25TG30-04 as tweeter crossed over at 2- 2.5khz . Primary reason of using the pa speaker as mid bass is accurate reproduction of guitar and kick drums ....

what do u guys thinks ??

I have a similar gut feeling that PA speakers have a better reproduction of kick drums. It's not in the speaker drivers itself - it's because PA setups don't suffer from booming bass, because they are used in larger venues and they just have less low bass. If you want to mimic that sound in your home, you have to use bass traps or (less obtrusive) a DSP to fight room modes.

There is nothing wrong with using PA drivers for home audio. In this case the 8" mid and 1" tweeter will not work together nicely, because they do not have a similar dispersion pattern at the crossover frequency of 2 kHz. I would advise to use a waveguide loaded tweeter, so the dispersions can match. Alternatively, you could use a smaller (4" - 5") mid.

There is nothing wrong with using PA drivers for home audio. In this case the 8" mid and 1" tweeter will not work together nicely, because they do not have a similar dispersion pattern at the crossover frequency of 2 kHz. I would advise to use a waveguide loaded tweeter, so the dispersions can match.

Good catch about the dispersion mis-match in the crossover region.

What are your suggestions for a waveguide-loaded tweeter that will keep up with a prosound midbass?

Compression drivers must be mated to horn, which typically have a narrower dispersion than waveguides. Do you want a wide or narrow dispersion?

The minimum waveguide / horn size is fixed, it should be approximately the same as the size of the midrange driver to match directivity. For a given dimension, a wide dispersion can be held down to a lower frequency. Therefore with wide dispersion the dispersion can be held constant over a larger frequency range.

Of course compression drivers can be louder than dome tweeters, though a 1" waveguide loaded metal dome can still keep up with 2x 8" bass drivers. 8" waveguides are hard to find. You could tear down a second hand Behringer B2031 for example.

Hi phoenix87,
I have the Eminence Alpha-8a mid-woofer and the Peerless India TL26SG tweeter on a open baffle, driven in an active setup. The Alpha is high passed at 100 HZ,and the xover to the tweeter is at 1600 Hz.
There's a subwoofer that handles upto 100 Hz.
This setup is the best I have experienced for now in my small room.

Hi phoenix87,
I have the Eminence Alpha-8a mid-woofer and the Peerless India TL26SG tweeter on a open baffle, driven in an active setup. The Alpha is high passed at 100 HZ,and the xover to the tweeter is at 1600 Hz.
There's a subwoofer that handles upto 100 Hz.
This setup is the best I have experienced for now in my small room.
Thanks for the input , I guess I am on the same track as you...if I may how much did the alpha-8A cost and where did source them from ?

OB photo

Here's the photo of my current OB, with an experimental 5.25 inch mid (not connected currently).

Attachments

• ob-1.jpg
    ob-1.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 203
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.