JBL L56 in need of refoam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The foam goes on the back of the cone.
Refoaming can be a poo of a job.
Find someone that will do the job correctly and be glad to pay them to do the job right.

Search, speaker repairers, refoamers, repairers.

Better if you find someone that only does driver repairs.
Chances are they will (hopefully) do a better job.

Thanks guys, I checked that ebay seller out and I'll probably order some surrounds from him tomorrow. I'm mostly just excited to get these in usable condition, as I've never auditioned any JBL speakers, with the exception of their cheap Bluetooth speakers that we used to sell at RadioShack. It seems that the L56s aren't hailed as the greats that some of their other models are, but even so. It looked like the crossovers were all in good condition, no blown caps that I could see, and the veneer on them is in pretty darn good condition. I took a few pictures, they should show up below:

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

One secret to removing old loudspeaker glue is to spray it with gumout carburetor cleaner. It dissolves the old glue quickly and evaporates. However you really don't want to breath the stuff so it is fume hood or outdoors with a carbon filter face mask.

It does allow you to remove the dust cap without damaging it if you are careful. That way you can shim the voice coil to keep it centered. Although care while reforming often avoids the need to shim.

Trick for keeping everything aligned properly as you work - 1.5v AA battery across the terminals. One way moves the cone out, the other moves it in. Really useful for applying even pressure to the surround as it dries, or lifting the cone away so you can apply glue.

Chris

I'm definitely going to try the gumout trick, even if not on the dust cap on the remains of the surround. Do you think it would be possible to reuse the dustcap in that case?

Chris, thanks for the advice, seems a solid way to provide clamping force. And with how many batteries I've got lying around, shouldn't have any trouble sourcing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.