Designing a closed cabinet for the Eminence Beta 12CX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I'm building a 12v system. High sensitivity is therefore a must. These will be used along with a tham12.

I'm not sure whether I should actually go for 2x beta-12cx or 2x beta-10cx. I do know that the 2x beta-12cx can outpút more than the Tham12 can, but the sensitivity is 2dB difference, which is basically free dB in a 12v sound system. I have two ASD1001 laying around that'll be used along with the beta driver.

So before making a decision, I'm going to have a look at how much each option will weigh, and see if it is worth getting the heavier and better option.

I can see that they recommend a 26L cabinet as minimum, but do you think I can go smaller than this to save weight? Will it have a negative impact on the sound? And should I get dampening material even though it is closed?

about a cubic foot is normal for one 12 - 450uF and 20 liters might work but makes the CX work harder and go lower. I couldn't get copy and past to work in XP/Paint or would have provided more details. IIRC, Beta12cx is a bit louder in the midrange than Beta10cx

aBtMN5h.jpg

Last edited:
about a cubic foot is normal for one 12 - 450uF and 20 liters might work but makes the CX work harder and go lower. I couldn't get copy and past to work in XP/Paint or would have provided more details. IIRC, Beta12cx is a bit louder in the midrange than Beta10cx

aBtMN5h.jpg

It will be high-passed so it won't matter how low it goes. The Tham will handle everything below atleast 100hz. The plan is to make a portable party machine for living-rooms. The Tham12 will always be cornor placed or placed against a wall outside

Last edited:
No - I'm sorry I had to mention the graphs - but I get dizzy very easily at my advanced age - and I do want to follow your thread! :)

If making a cab that is 22,26 liters (12" + ASD1001 is about 2,2L) gives me following numbers

• Beta 12CX: 3,54 kg
  • ASD1001: 0,9 kg
  • Cabinet: 2.94 kg
  • Total: 7,38 kg

Cab that is 16,5L (10" + ASD1001 is about 1,4L)

• Beta 10CX: 3,31 kg
  • ASD1001: 0,9 kg
  • Cabinet: 2,7 kg
  • Total 6,9 kg

Yeah. 2dB difference and total weight is only 0,8 kg more (for two speakers) - I'm almost entirely sure I'll go with the Beta-CX12, but I'll think about it for the next days!

Another thing:

A friend of mine from Soundboks adviced me to use Populus wood. It weights like 65% of Birch plywood. Since the Tham12 cabinet is well braced I might actually go 15mm populus instead of 12mm birch. Weight difference:

• Faital Pro 12FH500: 3,9 kg
  • Tham12 using Populus 15mm: 11,2 kg
  • Tham12 using Birch 12mm: 13,5 kg

So total is either 15,1 kg or 17,4 kg

A lighter Tham12 would be delightful :D

You are looking for efficiency and the shorter voice coil means less mass to energize. Bass output is probably about equal because of the bigger diaphragm. I would go with the 10 for hifi applications but that's a different set of choices. Sounds like a fun project.
I see the xlim is higher on the 12 so go big!

Last edited:
rMrfaHR.png

U1QJHP7.png

KB7OkYF.png

Designing the speaker and placing them in a livingroom REALLY got me excited!!! :D :D :D

The tham12 will have feet, which help stacking during transportation. The tham12 will be used as a nightstand whilst not used since student-apartments are TINY. The coaxial cabs are about 22,4L giving the driver around 20L.

The tham12 is around 15kg. Det cabs are around 7,5kg each and my battery and amp will weight around 3-4kg. Plus cables and extras - The total weight will be 35kg. Which is quite a lot, but I only plan to carry it into the bus or over small steps. Other times it will be dragged along on its wheels.

AMP: Sure 2x300w
DSP: ADAU1701
BATTERY: Panasonic 18650 cells. I'm making a 48V battery. Maybe I'll make it 45V to ensure no damage to the Sure amp board. So perhaps 12s3p or 13s3p (Basically 12 in series and 3 parallel)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.