Suggested speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nottobeburned,
My apologies the model I was looking at was DS-825. Which appear to be dual tweeters of different sizes. Just be careful buying second hand stuff like that unless you can audition before making the purchase. It happened to me a few years back with a pair of Pioneer CS-77's. The only good thing that came out of that transaction is that it lead me to this forum and a new hobby.:D As for the Pioneer speakers, I re-purposed the cabinets into a completely new design. Attached is photo of the project mentioned.

Best,
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 121
Forget buying second hand. Find a great DIY design (plenty around), buy new drivers, build a cabinet (can be rough - will still sound good -who cares for looks for a first attempt, can always rebuild later) and your friends will wonder how the hell it sounds so good for roughshod DIY speaker :)

If all you have is an SR1000, then go for a high sensitivity (>91 dB) design.

Getting serious!

Okay my friends, I have a table saw in the garage and an electronics background. I have just ordered a copy of The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. Should I also purchase Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden?
I remember a very good friend of mine was building speaker enclosures for his JBL’s. He used nice wood Mahogany maybe, he was very proud and they looked really good, you know, not that pressboard, black spray painted junk! Anyways, I’m committed any advice will be joyously received! I’m also going to build my own wood cover for my Marantz SR 1000. I can’t find a replacement, which is also made of press board...
P.S. Am I still in the right Forum?

Okay my friends, I have a table saw in the garage and an electronics background. I have just ordered a copy of The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. Should I also purchase Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden?
I remember a very good friend of mine was building speaker enclosures for his JBL’s. He used nice wood Mahogany maybe, he was very proud and they looked really good, you know, not that pressboard, black spray painted junk! Anyways, I’m committed any advice will be joyously received! I’m also going to build my own wood cover for my Marantz SR 1000. I can’t find a replacement, which is also made of press board...
P.S. Am I still in the right Forum?

Ok - so you are keen to learn and that is what DIY is about.

However - you have to be warned that your first design will be frustrating and costly. You may also be disappointed.

Here's how I would approach this.

1. List you speaker goals
2. Search for existing proven designs that meet those goals
3. Decide whether you want to go it alone or build one of those designs.

If the fun of learning exceeds the frustration, time and cost (ordering more crossover components, replacing badly chosen drivers are the key ones here), then go for "go it alone". There are never any guarantees, but by going it alone - there is an increased risk of a "dead end" design. One you are never happy with.

Otherwise, build a proven design to reduce the cost / risk factor. You'll still learn heaps and if the designer is still around, likely to help you with any questions (or others who have built and overcome possibly the same challenges).

So... what are your goals?

Those speakers are all wrong ! They employ woofers that are too big, and no DSP ain't going to fix the problems that a wrong bass unit's going to show.
Tweeter and horn are wrong, as a horn is not suited to home listening i.e. reproduction of music. Rock itself does not lead to critical listening for eventual fails in the playback system because the studio recordings are somehow artificial and more processed than a natural "catch" of a sound.

Those speakers are all wrong ! They employ woofers that are too big, and no DSP ain't going to fix the problems that a wrong bass unit's going to show.
Tweeter and horn are wrong, as a horn is not suited to home listening i.e. reproduction of music. Rock itself does not lead to critical listening for eventual fails in the playback system because the studio recordings are somehow artificial and more processed than a natural "catch" of a sound.

Maybe, maybe not.

What high-efficiency speaker would you suggest for a first-timer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.