Best 8" midbass

I am looking for very good 8 inch midbass to high sensitivity two way hifi speaker. I don´t need low bass extension, because of subwoofer. Instead I would like to get cleanest possible midrange. My starting point is 18sound 8MB500 and 8NMB420. Is there better choices?

There was an Airborne 8" carbon fiber that ticks all of your bells and whistles. Highish sensitivity, well damped cone with minimal breakup, and a low Qts for your typical pro alignment. I used it with the SS 9500 in a 2-way, and the mids were very good. Xover was about 1.8k, but higher is possible with it having real!y good topend extension. I'm not sure it's still available.

Wolf

AE TD8M will probably be your best bet. Xmax is kind of low though. Will depend on you crossover point and output needs.

B&C markets their 8MBX51 specifically for this application. A report on the 6MBX44 was very positive.

Ciare makes good products and showed the best measurements in a roundup of 3" voicecoil Italian 10" midbasses.

BMS makes top notch products all the way around and their motors show exceptional performance even at high levels.

Oberton measured very well in a German magazine several years ago.

Implementation will be much more important than the drivers you ultimately choose.

How much sensitivity do you need/want?

B&C 8PE21
Faital 8PR155

One attribute I noticed from many midrange that get praised is their low Le. All mentioned above have highish Le, maybe except for TD8M.

A midrange I have been interested is 18Sound 10NDA610, which of course is 10" not 8", but is described as designed for midrange from the ground up and has super low Le.

I think all PA drivers have good enough sensitivity. I have feeling that low Le may be connected to low distortion, but I have no idea is it true. My original tought was that speaker would be somehow usable without sub. If I leave that, drivers called midrange could be better choise to clean midrange. Sounds like 3 way. :) I don´t know. Imagination runs fast and back and forth.

Last edited:
A midrange I have been interested is 18Sound 10NDA610, .. is described as designed for midrange from the ground up and has super low Le.

Troels Gravansen The Midrange Driver of his "Loudspeaker"

'The midrange driver caused the most trouble, in particular the 10NDA610 because of its intrinsic frequency response on the intended baffle. Having the midrange shelving up some 5 dB around 650 Hz was trouble and making it roll-off 4th order at 1300 Hz from a driver that easily does up to 4.5 kHz, takes the full Monty! It took me a long time to take my eyes off the 10NDA610 midrange driver, because it can do wonderful things, but I was never happy with the crossover complexity to make the driver do what I wanted. After a couple of weeks of listening to the 10NDA610 driver, I felt sure about what this driver could do and time was ripe to try out alternatives. Hence, a 2nd driver was tested, the 18 Sound 10NW650. This is more of a mid-bass driver than a dedicated midrange driver but with a smooth-as-can-be frequency response. Easy implementation. The 10NW650, which is really meant for another project, didn't disappoint and made a smooth midrange very well integrated with the horn, but also lacking a certain vivid quality of the 10NDA610. Was I seduced by the 10NDA610? Maybe. I needed more alternatives and ordered a pair of 10NMBA520 dedicated midrange drivers, a sibling to the 10NDA610. The 10NMBA520 features a smaller voice coil, lower Fs, goes a bit deeper and you can never know what happens to performance from even small changes like these. The 10NMBA520 turned out to just what I had been looking for - and wanted to hear. Smooth frequency response, easy crossover and the sound similar to its sibling. "

Wow very nice.Any experience with it? It could be a wonderfull match to audax tw34 tweeter

No experience. It really needs a fairly steep crossover for its low-pass BELOW 2.3 kHz. It would make an excellent driver in combination with a modest waveguide (about 8") + tweeter with a crossover near 1.5 kHz.

How much sensitivity do you need/want?

B&C 8PE21
Faital 8PR155

One attribute I noticed from many midrange that get praised is their low Le. All mentioned above have highish Le, maybe except for TD8M.

A midrange I have been interested is 18Sound 10NDA610, which of course is 10" not 8", but is described as designed for midrange from the ground up and has super low Le.

The PM220-8 has about the lowest Le you can find for a driver of this size.. BUT the dominate non-linear distortion characteristic is still force vs. excursion and suspension vs. excursion:

Test Bench: Dayton Audio PM220-8 Wideband Neodymium 8” Woofer | audioXpress

My original tought was that speaker would be somehow usable without sub. If I leave that, drivers called midrange could be better choise to clean midrange. Sounds like 3 way. :) I don´t know. Imagination runs fast and back and forth.

-remember, you have baffle-step "loss" to factor-in with any design ..and unless the "sub"woofer extends up to 500 hz (or more depending on baffle size/width) you'll wind-up loosing a fair bit of gain.

The solution of course is another more efficient midbass IN-ADDITION to the other midbass/midrange driver (with a wider-band crossover near 200-300 hz). A "2.5" design WITH a subwoofer.

I'd probably use the Faital Pro 8FE 200 *4* ohm with it connected in series to (from) the PM220-8.

The PM220-8 has about the lowest Le you can find for a driver of this size.. BUT the dominate non-linear distortion characteristic is still force vs. excursion and suspension vs. excursion:

Test Bench: Dayton Audio PM220-8 Wideband Neodymium 8” Woofer | audioXpress

Not really. In fact it has a high Le (all in mH):
PM220: 0.8
8PE21: 0.5
Faital 8PR210: 0.46
Faital 8PR155: 0.41
18Sound 8NMB420: 0.35
P.Audio SN8-250N: 0.26
Beyma 8MI100: 0.2
TD8M: 0.15
10NDA610: 0.06 with AIC engaged

This is by no means trying to say the PM220 isn't great. Never heard it, and on paper looks great on a number of parameters. But my point was about Le and how low values correlate with what many regard as great midrange drivers:
B&W FST: 0.18
Lowthers DX3: 0.035
Tang Band W8-1772: 0.009

Troels Gravansen The Midrange Driver of his "Loudspeaker"

'The midrange driver caused the most trouble, in particular the 10NDA610 because of its intrinsic frequency response on the intended baffle. Having the midrange shelving up some 5 dB around 650 Hz was trouble and making it roll-off 4th order at 1300 Hz from a driver that easily does up to 4.5 kHz, takes the full Monty! It took me a long time to take my eyes off the 10NDA610 midrange driver, because it can do wonderful things, but I was never happy with the crossover complexity to make the driver do what I wanted. After a couple of weeks of listening to the 10NDA610 driver, I felt sure about what this driver could do and time was ripe to try out alternatives. Hence, a 2nd driver was tested, the 18 Sound 10NW650. This is more of a mid-bass driver than a dedicated midrange driver but with a smooth-as-can-be frequency response. Easy implementation. The 10NW650, which is really meant for another project, didn't disappoint and made a smooth midrange very well integrated with the horn, but also lacking a certain vivid quality of the 10NDA610. Was I seduced by the 10NDA610? Maybe. I needed more alternatives and ordered a pair of 10NMBA520 dedicated midrange drivers, a sibling to the 10NDA610. The 10NMBA520 features a smaller voice coil, lower Fs, goes a bit deeper and you can never know what happens to performance from even small changes like these. The 10NMBA520 turned out to just what I had been looking for - and wanted to hear. Smooth frequency response, easy crossover and the sound similar to its sibling. "

Thank you LineSource. I had not come across this piece from Troels. What's you take on it? In the context of my design: active system, digital xo, 350 to 2000Hz. It seems Troels headaches were with making a passive filter that worked as intended rather than the driver itself.

BTW, the very flat impedance of the 10NDA610 makes it a very easy load on the amp too.

Not really. In fact it has a high Le (all in mH):
PM220: 0.8
8PE21: 0.5
Faital 8PR210: 0.46
Faital 8PR155: 0.41
18Sound 8NMB420: 0.35
P.Audio SN8-250N: 0.26
Beyma 8MI100: 0.2
TD8M: 0.15
10NDA610: 0.06 with AIC engaged

This is by no means trying to say the PM220 isn't great. Never heard it, and on paper looks great on a number of parameters. But my point was about Le and how low values correlate with what many regard as great midrange drivers:
B&W FST: 0.18
Lowthers DX3: 0.035
Tang Band W8-1772: 0.009
A single Le figure is almost meaningless since Le is highly lossy in dynamic speaker motors. You need to look at the impedance curve, which will also inherently show the ratio of Le and Re which is what matters. If you have a 32ohm nominal speaker, obviously Le can be 4 times higher than in a 8ohm nominal speaker and have the same overall effect on performance.

PM220 Zmin: 7.2ohm
PM220 Z(1kHz): 8.1ohm (+12%)
PM220 Z(5kHz): 9.8ohm (+36%)

W8-1772 Zmin: 8.5ohm
W8-1772 (1kHz): 9ohm (+6%)
W8-1772 (5kHz): 9.4ohm (+11%)

Not too shabby performance from the PM220 considering that most 8" woofers are 200% Zmin by 2-4kHz.

Also don't forget that Le almost doesn't matter in an underhung design. The analogy of Le(x) distortion in an underhung motor is Bl(x).

Last edited:
8" midbass is also my possesion right now, intended to cover around 100-300Hz in my 4way active. from above listed drivers, i can only find in local store for B&C 8MBX51, but unfortunately no response from the seller

Another candidate that might be good option is Scanspeak 22w/8534 which Troels used in his 3way project and available here locally

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery.htm
any input about this SS driver?