DIY High End Studio Monitors

Hello !

I want to build a pair of very good studio monitors, something like:

Barefoot Sound
Kii Three
Dutch & Dutch 8C

I need a little help. I have many questions. For the begin , let identify the drivers. (Sory for my bad english)

Kii Three:
Low = Peerless_SBS-160F35AL01-04
Mid = Dayton PA130-8
Hi = seas H1499-06 27TBCD/GB-DXT

Barefoot mm 35:
Low = Peerless xxls series
Mid = VIFA NE149W-08
Hi = ScanSpeak Iluminator R3004/602010

Barefoot Footprint01:
Low = Peerless SLS-P830667
Mid = Dayton Audio RS100-4
Hi = PEERLESS XT25SC90-04

Dutch & Dutch
Low = ?
Mid = SEAS Prestige L22RN4X/P
Hi = SEAS Prestige 22TAF/G

Amplifiers:
Barefoot = Hypex Ncore
Kit Three = Hypex Ncore
Dutch & Dutch 8C = Pascal

I have been using Barefoot MM27 and the other pro monitors for 30+ years, and for monitoring purpose, I strongly believe it's very hard to make a better "studio monitor" than the reputable commercial monitors for many reasons. Unless you want to make it just for fun or experiment, buying good commercial monitors saves a lot of time and money.

I'm curious what is your current reference monitor, and what is wrong with it.

My current monitors are Eve SC208 I Want better monitors from all points of view I like Barefoot mm27, but Kii Three have better sound, more controlled, more detailed in Mid + more controlled Low end I do not have the money to buy a new pair. I find it easy to build something like Dutch & Dutch 8C Has anybody tried this?

You can probably make a better sounding speaker than SC208, but how you will know it's a good monitor without having reference monitor next to it?

Your goal is somewhat unclear, so I may misunderstand it. You want to make a studio reference monitor, not an audiofool home speaker, right?

Yep, Kii is really really good, I'm impressed with their demo. I have a strong impression that they are usable in the studio environment.

I'm sorry, but you do not help me. I have access to expensive monitors and I have experience... I'm not a beginner ... Why do you think I can not ? I want monitors with DSP because I do not listen in the anecoic room. I need to control the speaker parameters, to adapt it to my room. Their components cost only a fraction of their price...

Sorry, but I'm trying help you not to waste your time and money. I'm 100% confident that you need a reliable monitor before you DIY a reference monitor. Why? Tons of the reasons, but first of all, you will never know if your monitor is good or bad, and it will just confuse you.

I'm not talking about anecoic room here, non-studio room is far less than ideal anyway, and DSP can't help much, and it will also confuse you.

Most important thing about the studio monitor is, using it for a long term until your ears are accustomed to it. Your brain has built in DSP.

My current monitors are Eve SC208 I Want better monitors from all points of view I like Barefoot mm27, but Kii Three have better sound, more controlled, more detailed in Mid + more controlled Low end I do not have the money to buy a new pair. I find it easy to build something like Dutch & Dutch 8C Has anybody tried this?
I have made a 10inch version inspired by the 8C :) Cardioid monitor Using plaster for the waveguides DIY Waveguide

IMO, first you need to know if you want a clone of those speaker or you are looking for a good (better than what you have) DIY monitor, I haven't read about Barefoots but Kii is totally different story, it uses DSPs to control delay between drivers and also driver placements (2 on rear and on each sides) to control directivity (Cardioid pattern) that 's why it can sound good in different rooms, it has 6 channel dsp and 6 amps on each speaker that's also how it gets high spl and flat respond.

But if you want a good sounding monitor, you should look for something with reasonable sensitivity and very flat frequency respond (speaker shouldn't have any character), since you have experience with filters and EQs I would say go with DSP.

I suggest to do more research (to know what you are looking for, good sounding is not enough) on this and then more experienced guys will help you through.

Last edited:
I want to build a pair of very good studio monitors, something like:
I have access to expensive monitors and I have experience...
I'm not a beginner ...
Everybody wants very good speakers but they are expensive, so lot of people think that DIYing them can save tons of money. This can be true, but (and is a big but) only if the design is good. You don't state what is your experience, but from the question I bet you have never designed a speaker before. While you can design a pretty decent speaker without measurement (if you have access to drivers FR and impedance), designing a hi-end speaker involves measurements and the knowledge on how to interpret the results. Starting with a non-conventional 3-way is IMHO foolish. The best you can do is to find a reputable design that you like and build it.
I want monitors with DSP because I do not listen in the anecoic room.
That's not a reason for having DSP. You can design a passive speaker for normal room placement too.

Ralf

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
One thing about Fusion range from Hypex they do have dsp onboard (which is nice) but if you already have dedicated gear or plan to use a computer based solution, as far as i understand you can't bypass the AD/DA within the amp or rely on the one used by Hypex ( which should be good as i don't see them don't giving nice things to a ncore amp). Deal breaker for a very clean signal path if you are in the situation given above though.

About diy a studio Monitor, Plasnu advice is wise ( he knows what he is talking about as he run a studio). If you want to use them in a near future just go shopping something better than yours and which is known to work as expected.

If you have time and wish to invest in measurement gear, learn how to use it and how to interpret the measurement, have skills in woodworking and be prepared to do test and prototype, learn about what you want to put emphasize on what you find interesting in the reference you gave and know about your room and how to get the best of it... go that route! But it won't be as easy as selecting some drivers and build a loosy box and then process it.

If you don't... go shopping for something already proven. You'll save money and time.

Last edited:
Hi,
One thing about Fusion range from Hypex they do have dsp onboard (which is nice) but if you already have dedicated gear or plan to use a computer based solution, as far as i understand you can't bypass the AD/DA within the amp or rely on the one used by Hypex ( which should be good as i don't see them don't giving nice things to a ncore amp). Deal breaker for a very clean signal path if you are in the situation given above though.
The Fusionsamps do have digital input through AES, S/PDIF and TosLink, so there's no need to worry about an extra analog to digital conversion.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you rely on this generation of converters (and want to use the internal dsp).
In studio, gear change as fast as in audiophile or keeners world. What was used 5 years ago may be changed for 'supposed better' tech this year.

One last thing about this imposed choice (which may not be obvious for non pro users) is the lack of wordclock input.

You could still rely on selfclocking of spdif (toslink being spdif) or aes but in complex digital environment (implying a digital desk, a daw, effects or other digital treatments) it is common to have a clock generator using wordclock to distribute it independently of audio stream.

Details i know.
That said i don't question quality of Hypex range of products.

Last edited: