DIY High End Studio Monitors

Interesting Notion... Except for the small and annoying factoid that the KEF Unique coax is actually a fairly Poor Coax.
It simply doesn't work very well at all (spare me the Righteous indignations :D
Likely do as well if not better with some Car Audio Coax

Interesting Notion... Except for the small and annoying factoid that the KEF Unique coax is actually a fairly Poor Coax.
It simply doesn't work very well at all (spare me the Righteous indignations :D
Likely do as well if not better with some Car Audio Coax

What do you consider it does relatively poorly compared to other coaxials?

I'm also interested in response for this question ? I have some listening and measuring experience with Kef coaxials so it would be of great value to me to see if my initial impressions matches someone else's.

Although i do think Kef coaxials are extremely good, i've spotted something that may or may not be potentially audible - not necessarily noticeable without A/B testing.

Equator D8 MK2
What speaker does it have?

I'm fairly sure that all Equator monitors have custom in-house drivers. The ring/'waveguide' around the tweeter doesn't match anything I've seen anywhere else. I have the original D5's which aren't bad, but I can't help but think that the tweeter arrangement is more subject to diffraction effects than the recent Kef drivers.

I am mulling over a 3-way desktop monitor project, and so far using the co-ax from a Kef Q100/Q150 is sounding like the best idea. Pair it with an Anarchy woofer and a pair of passive radiators and it looks like about as good as you can do in ~0.6 cu ft net volume (8"x12"x24" exterior dimensions). Or, I may just admit I have no time and look at something like a KH 120 and a sub.

Hi, I need speakers for the force canceling subwoofer. I want 8-inch speakers that are not very expensive and go down to 30Hz. My enclosure has 18 liters.

I stopped on these two models:
SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-8
Dayton audio rss210ho-8

Dayton looks a bit better in the low end..., but how does the distortions look at? Has anyone tried these speakers? Which is better? I will amplify them with a 500W @ 4Ohm Pascal module.

Hi,
I kept researching, but still do not understand if I can build a full cardioid speaker with low latencies.

We researched sources like these but we did not find concrete answers, just generalities.

Cardioid bass
Do-It-Yourself Cardioid Sub
A Practical Guide To Good Bass: Part 3, Flown & Gradient Arrays - Page 4 of 10 - ProSoundWeb
etc

I want to build a compact speaker like D&D 8c or Kii Three, but full cardioid and with low latency .

I think in the following way:

On baffle (frontal) I have:
- tweeter in 6,5"waveguide (1,6KHz-20KHz)
- 6,5" driver for mid frequency (200Hz-1,6KHz) - passive cardioid (like D&D 8c / Amphion Xenon)
- 7" woofer for bass (200Hz-50Hz) - in closed box
On the sides I have:
- 2 X 10" subwoofers (200Hz-25Hz)- in force cancelling design. - in reverse phase, to create the cardioid pattern up to 200Hz.

4-way amplification + DSP

What do you think, will the design work?

On the sides I have:
- 2 X 10" subwoofers (200Hz-25Hz)- in force cancelling design. - in reverse phase, to create the cardioid pattern up to 200Hz.

What do you think, will the design work?

This makes no sense.

If they are force cancelling they are not out of phase. Either way this won't give you the cardioid response you seek unless used in conjunction with the 7" woofer. If this is the case the 2 X 10" drivers are unnecessary overkill, they only need to cancel the rear output of the 7" driver on the front.

The Kii three has 6 drivers, 6 amps, and 6way DSP module as described by Kii audio. So the design is controlled in software. Depending on your ability to do something similar in DSP software, many physical designs could accomplish this. Going from 7" to dual 10" does look like going from a 25 liter box to like 125? It is possible to do stuff in DSP and amplification for a smaller box but that requires serious wattage and loss in efficiency. Have to model this with correct T/S parameters.