DIY High End Studio Monitors

There are several reasons that NS10s are still ubiquitous in recording and mixing field.

Actually, one of the main reasons why NS10 is so ubiquitous for last 40-50 years is because it is ubiquitous. We all know the behavior of NS10 so well, that we can tell the signature of unknown control room and the other variables (amp, mixer etc) through it.

We all know the sound signature of NS10, so guessing how the music will sound with the other environment/speaker is easier. We call it translation. Actually good translation factor is one of the main reason that NS10 has gotten huge popularity, I believe. If the music sounds great on NS10, we can be confident that the master tape is enough commercial quality to send to the mastering studio for the final touch.

Also for pop music mixing, vocal and bass balance is by far the most important and the most difficult task, and I don’t really know any other speaker that can tell us the correct balance of them. I think the limited frequency response of NS10s really shines here.

The other very successful nearfield monitors like Genelec 1031 and Barefoot MM27 have more resolution, better frequency / phase response, but NS10 still do better for translation and vocal/bass level confirmation, I think, and probably many people think the same.

I don’t really know why near field monitors has become popular than much larger Altec 604 kind speakers that was popular in 60s, but I guess it is because the consumer speakers became smaller, and, car audio, boombox and walkman became popular. Also, due to multi track recording, the mixing and recording process is much more complicated and time consuming, so the engineer has to spend much longer time in front of the speakers while avoiding ear fatigue. It is not uncommon spending more than 12 hors for mixing one song, so that mixing engineers usually playback music extremely quietly except when he has to check noise or bass response etc. for a very short term.

Large monitors are not used much today, so we are joking that those monsters are there just to impress the studio’s client, musician’s friend or ignorant record company’s A&R playing back the music super loudly.

i like Ben more..
Thanks much. The feeling is mutual.

It was no tease to say monitors are as much geared to inter-changabilty as to HQ per se. Recording engineers - many of them prolly with defective HF hearing - intuitively know just how to work with a "standard" speaker with, say, poor low bass.

Anybody notice the great uniformity of almost all aspects of console design and even little mic mixers? Actually, many of those consoles are as poorly designed as some nuclear power plant control rooms I'm acquainted with.*

Yes, from a human-factors perspective, appropriate uniformity can be beneficial... up to a point.

I try never to tease, be sarcastic, or troll. Anybody with half a brain would understand there's no sure way for a web reader to separate straight from sarcastic writing. And likewise for trolling. For a few years, I taught a University of Toronto course for professional tech writers.

B.
* sorry, no names, DAMHIK

Last edited:
Hi Zvu,
In fact i confess that like Brett i thought you were actually serious and didn't spot the sarcasm. I was a bit astounded at first then i told myself there may have been a sense lost in translation.
Now it is clear. ;)

If nobody likes it (D&D and Kii3) how come so much guys buy it and put them in home as mains or in studios ? That was the part i thought was obvious. It was about post 27 and i don't think i can learn from a guy that can write this and mean it because he is so obviously wrong:

Whenever I've heard a studio monitor (including visits to my local fancy pro emporium), I've thought they (moderate sized two-way boxes) were unimpressive. Not sure why. No low bass. No hot highs. Very blah. And not esp clean either.

Let me put it this way: if they were set up at a typical audio show with the usual crowd favourites nearby, nobody would be impressed.

Certainly, these boxes are designed with certain virtues that I don't value or even recognize. Like being able to be dropped from 4 foot height or play loud or sound just like other two-way studio monitor boxes that everybody else uses too. But home audio is not their market.

Likely somebody will post that I don't know a good speaker when I hear one.*

B.
*or maybe too many years listening to good speakers

Let's not forget that nobody talked about two way monitors before him in this thread and AlexMusic wants to make 3 way. He just writes what he wants and was of no help to anyone.

...Ben have strong opinions and this is expected from someone with such a long experience in the audio.
The way he explain them is a bit on the rough side and i suppose he like to tease just a bit too... ;)

Years of experience in the audio doesn't mean that he knows what he's talking about. He could just be wrong for very long time. I don't mind being rough when someone is right. Geddes is a good example. He can be rough but he's usually right, which i can't say about Ben - or at least the posts i ran into in the threads i'm interested in.

That being said i like Ben more and more as i read him ( no sarcasm intended i'm sincere) and there is a lot to learn from the guy! (Yes motion feedback is GOOD!).
You just have to adjust about the way he interact... and his own preference. ;)

I have no feelings about him and i really don't have to adjust to anything he does or says. His preference is his own thing but when he starts like he did in lots of threads, that his preference is the only right preference, i react as i did.

I try never to tease, be sarcastic, or troll. Anybody with half a brain would understand there's no sure way for a web reader to separate straight from sarcastic writing. And likewise for trolling. For a few years, I taught a University of Toronto course for professional tech writers.

B.
* sorry, no names, DAMHIK

Maybe trying to use the other half of the brain would help ? You're welcome.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
How does this sound to everybody? What have I missed or messed up?
It does sound quite good to me. I don't think you messed up anything and this is why i told (as others did too) there will be much chance of satisfaction to go shopping something already availlable.

If you plan to build something for monitoring purpose you should start by defining the needs of spl at sweet spot, the use intended (monitor, mix or mastering) and everything you listed.
Without this copying a commercial design without understanding the designer goal is taking the risk of high failure.

Plasnu this is a great simple explanation about nearfield. My own preference are more for Auratone but other nearfield are ok too (depend of style, lot of hip hop session i was involved as assistant was done on K-rock at the time and results were great, lot of rock and electronic was done on Tannoy with same outcome).

In the end i think you nailed it when you said the thing is to be used/accustomed to a monitor and this only come with practice, mistakes and someone to tell you what they were (i ALWAYS gone to mastering session and talked a lot with the engineer which corrected my works. It was tuff most of the time (for my ego) but i learned a lot this way).

Large monitors are not used much today, so we are joking that those monsters are there just to impress the studio’s client, musician’s friend or ignorant record company’s A&R playing back the music super loudly.
From my experience it was the same in the facility i used to work in. Thus said some (not all) studio mains i've heard (the couple acoustics/monitors) where great and really usefull (Hidley/kinoshita RM7/8, some Tannoy DMT15II in smaller room, Exigy in room designed for them). But i've heard big Genelec, Atc and some Kinoshita RM-4, Focal which were just awfull.

Zvu,
how come so much guys buy it and put them in home as mains or in studios ?
Because of trend/fashion. I've not heard the nearfield in question so i can't speak for them but when i left studio world the brand 'in vogue' was Adam... They never made it for me and i've heard almost all their range.

They were slowly replacing the 'good' monitors used (like 1031 or Quested vs2108 or Meyer HD1 or NHT A20) in almost all the place i worked. I never understood why...

For the rest, well... i share some view with Ben and not some others. We already had some opinion divergence and i know he thought about ideas which was exchanged (as i did) and it made us both go forward i think (at least it made for me). Could be the same here.

Back to topic,
Alex Music could you give a list of your expactations as Hammersandwich stated it could be of help for the one who want to.

Well, I tried to build a Kii Three Clone two years ago using the Seas Coax L12RE/XFC and 4 Reckhorn D165.

Here are some pictures:

kii-three_652453.jpg

kii-three_652454.jpg

kii-klon_655733.jpg

kii-three-klon_665734.jpg

The main goal was to figure out if the cardioid bass works and it does. So, if you have time enough and some experience in loudspeaker measurements and woodwork — just give it a try.

Using some digital amplifier boards, the original Tweeter and a good midrange plus MiniDSPs OpenDRC DA8 and the problems are not so big as it seems.

Last edited:
Great! The theory behind Kii's cardioid bass is different from ME Geithain's? I'm very interested.

Just think "dipole", "ambience" and DSP; don't think "point source", diffraction, comb filtering, passive crossover, and small box. Good to see more dipole-like designs that put music into your room instead of broadcasting from a point in space.

While lots of us swear by DSPs, the Kii-3 comes with default pre-figured DSP. No speaker is likely to meet today's DIY quality expectations without that kind of adjustability.

B.

Last edited:
The 901K does only have one woofer.

The way they did it is with an open back cab that is partially blocked by their plate amp leaving two wide rectangular slots which are carefully and frequency specifically damped with foam to achieve the cardioid response.
At least that is my understanding of how they work.

This approach needs a lot of experimentation I guess but from an engineering point of view it is a more elegant solution that the brute force DSP method which requires two extra drivers and amp channels just to reduce the sound coming from the main woofer.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Spendormania and Jag768, guys you've done some VERY impressive efforts!! :up:

Spendormania have you had the chance to compare them to original (or ever heard one and have some memory about them)?

Jag768 are this plot from the waveguide design you show in your other thread?

Charles, :D sure we agree share some things in common... modular, nearfield,Tannoy i'm sure we have a lot of lp in common too... :D

Well, I tried to build a Kii Three Clone two years ago using the Seas Coax L12RE/XFC and 4 Reckhorn D165.

Here are some pictures...

interesting project and nice build, I was thinking about doing the same with DA classic subs, I would end up w up to 800$ just for woofers and DSPs, well, a bit more than I would spend on a experience, do you have a thread for your Kii clone ? i would like to read more about your experience.

Wisdom of the Crowd
"Controlled Directivity is important" is a major theme of this monitor thread

Genius #1
Kii and Dutch&Dutch8C use extensive DSP and include rear Cardiod woofers. Dutch&Dutch8C measurement data shows very good directivity down to 100-200Hz.

Genius #2
20" x 16" 3-way Synergy horn measurement data shows good directivity down to 200Hz with simple DSP or passive Xover.

======
Are there any successful Synergy Horn High End Studio Monitors?

SEOS Synergy

If nobody likes it (D&D and Kii3) how come so much guys buy it and put them in home as mains or in studios ?

Hi,
Zvu,

Because of trend/fashion. I've not heard the nearfield in question so i can't speak for them but when i left studio world the brand 'in vogue' was Adam... They never made it for me and i've heard almost all their range.
They were slowly replacing the 'good' monitors used (like 1031 or Quested vs2108 or Meyer HD1 or NHT A20) in almost all the place i worked. I never understood why...

For the rest, well... i share some view with Ben and not some others. We already had some opinion divergence and i know he thought about ideas which was exchanged (as i did) and it made us both go forward i think (at least it made for me). Could be the same here.

I've listened KiiThree and there is nothing fashionable about its sound other than neutrality at its best. But let us presume that i am biased because of its fashionable Moulinex bread maker appearance. Siegfried Linkwitz, may his soul rest in peace, wrote quoted text and remember - that's the guy who listened OB for most part of his life designed by himself:

February 2017 - Today I had the opportunity to listen to the Kii 3 using some of my usual test and demo tracks. The location was a professional mixing studio room with very dry acoustics. I would estimate RT60 to be around 200 ms. The speakers were set up on metal stands in the middle of the large room, essentially in free-field conditions.
Listening from the equilateral triangle sweet spot the speakers immediately impressed me with their smoothness, clarity and neutrality of timbre. The phantom image was precisely detailed. It had depth and width but little height. It was somewhat like listening to an acoustic scene through a window in a wall at the speaker distance, where the speaker separation and the speaker box height defined the window size. The sweet spot was tight and lateral movement of the head quickly pulled the phantom scene to the nearer speaker. But this was in a very dry and acoustically dead room. Listening from a greater distance and also off axis, the speakers preserved their neutrality, smoothness and clarity but the phantom window boundaries disappeared, making the acoustic scene realistic in the studio.
The low end was tight and articulate, and extended quite deep. But the lowest notes could not quite keep up with the higher frequency range at very high volume levels. That is not surprising, given the physical limitations of the drivers and again the dry room.
The whole experience made me aware again of the importance of the reverberant field in the listening room. For sure it has to be spectrally neutral, which the Kii 3 speakers guarantee to a high degree, because of their wide polar pattern. But the room also has to be sufficiently live so that the ear-brain-perceptual apparatus can draw confirming information from the reverberant field about the spatial data in the direct loudspeaker signals to support the phantom scene illusion. A dry room is apparently a useful work environment, but I normally do not experience sounds in such environment. I prefer a room with RT60 around 450 ms.
The Kii 3 is an impressive speaker, technically and sound wise, in an extremely compact and versatile package. It probably gives the most accurate conversion of electrical input to a defined acoustic field output of any speaker I know of. For my taste, it needs a lively room and then I would cross it over at 80 Hz to a pair of large dipole subwoofers. Could that be the ultimate?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Zvu,
I'm not questioning the quality of Kii as i didn't heard them. I suppose they are good at what they do because there is a very broad acceptation of them from (very) differents people in rec industry. The 'good', or at least usable tools, pass the test of time in recording industry so time will tell what status they will have ( trendy things or solid usefull tools which will go up in price in 20years to the point people get mortgage to own one pair with blown membrane -(Neumann not the submarine) U-47 anyone? ) ;)

My remark was just about the fact that proaudio is in any way a field which is sometimes not rational and some 'strange' things (for me) happen there too.

Interisting you talk about the look, i suppose this was one of the reason Adam had such success ( with their 'darth wader ' /stealth jet fighter appearence...and the fact they used ribbon at the same time people rediscovered the ribbon microphone virtue in digital environnement. A trend at the time.) Ns10 does have the same iconic and easily identifiable appearence.

Very interesting quote from S.Linkwitz, thank you.

Last edited: