Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY High End Studio Monitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2018, 12:51 PM   #21
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivium View Post
If you rely on this generation of converters (and want to use the internal dsp).
In studio, gear change as fast as in audiophile or keeners world. What was used 5 years ago may be changed for 'supposed better' tech this year.
One last thing about this imposed choice (which may not be obvious for non pro users) is the lack of wordclock input.
You could still rely on selfclocking of spdif (toslink being spdif) or aes but in complex digital environment (implying a digital desk, a daw, effects or other digital treatments) it is common to have a clock generator using wordclock to distribute it independently of audio stream.

That said i don't question quality of Hypex range of products.
When a new Hypex module or other options comes out you could always swap it for the old one
You got me on the Wordclock though.

For the OP I'm sure that you can learn something here Pushing the limits of small speakers - The Reference Mini build thread
Old 10th September 2018, 01:40 PM   #22
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

I don't try to got ya (gotcha)!
I faced the issue when i made my gear choice (i run a digital home studio for years).
And i was excited about having multiple ncore in convenient package when i first saw the fusion preliminary papers but had desillusion when seeing the principle of operation and thought 'why they don't just add a switch or relay to bypass the whole dsp thing?'.
But that is what market want i suppose.
I hope they choosen a modular implementation yes. that could be smartest choice for future upgrade.
Old 10th September 2018, 03:10 PM   #23
Alex Music is online now Alex Music  Romania
diyAudio Member

For low end I chose the driver:
8"
Dayton RSS210HO-4
or
Peerless SLS-P830667
or
6.5"
Peerless_SBS-160F35AL01-04

For High frequencies:

seas H1499-06 27TBCD/GB-DXT

For mid:

SATORI MR16P-4
or
Dayton PA130-8

depends of the design...
Old 10th September 2018, 03:21 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

About enclosure design:

Dutch&Dutch 8C it is very interesting and easy to make

Another interesting design for low end is Elac Adante
in my case, 2 Woofers of 6.6" + 2 8" passive radiators placed on the back panel.
Old 10th September 2018, 07:00 PM   #25
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are wanting to use the low-end like the Adante, then the PRs need to be on the front to operate up to 200Hz. FWIW, I felt their low-end was a bit lean.

Wolf
Old 10th September 2018, 07:37 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I want crossover at 100Hz / 2-3KHz
Old 10th September 2018, 08:13 PM   #27
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Whenever I've heard a studio monitor (including visits to my local fancy pro emporium), I've thought they (moderate sized two-way boxes) were unimpressive. Not sure why. No low bass. No hot highs. Very blah. And not esp clean either.

Let me put it this way: if they were set up at a typical audio show with the usual crowd favourites nearby, nobody would be impressed.

Certainly, these boxes are designed with certain virtues that I don't value or even recognize. Like being able to be dropped from 4 foot height or play loud or sound just like other two-way studio monitor boxes that everybody else uses too. But home audio is not their market.

Likely somebody will post that I don't know a good speaker when I hear one.*

B.
*or maybe too many years listening to good speakers

Last edited by bentoronto; 10th September 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10th September 2018, 08:44 PM   #28
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Ben,
Maybe because you mixed nearfield monitor and studio monitor.
Both have their virtue in case of pro environnement and display an interest given you use them for what they are supposed to do... Problem being what you see in studio desk's bargraph is not what is used all the time and for every step in the production:

Active vrs passive

Ben, some of this guys even use the same type of speaker as you! Go figure... and he is a talented one! ( just check the credits... self explanatory! )
Barry Diament Audio

Last edited by krivium; 10th September 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10th September 2018, 08:52 PM   #29
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivium View Post
Ben, some of this guys even use the same type of speaker as you!
(Near) full-range electrostatic? Wouldn't that just be fabulous... if any studio (besides the one in the link with Magnepan planers) ever had the good judgment to use ESLs.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 10th September 2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10th September 2018, 08:56 PM   #30
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wonder if there is a case for two sets. A good high performance set of monitors for accurate mixing and a pair of dodgy dorm quality speakers so you know how your mix will sound to most of your customers ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

DIY High End Studio MonitorsHide this!Advertise here!