Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY High End Studio Monitors
DIY High End Studio Monitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2018, 12:28 AM   #11
Jag768 is offline Jag768  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Music View Post
My current monitors are Eve SC208
I Want better monitors from all points of view
I like Barefoot mm27, but Kii Three have better sound, more controlled, more detailed in Mid + more controlled Low end
I do not have the money to buy a new pair.
I find it easy to build something like Dutch & Dutch 8C

Has anybody tried this?
I have made a 10inch version inspired by the 8C
Cardioid monitor

Using plaster for the waveguides
DIY Waveguide
Old 10th September 2018, 12:49 AM   #12
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

IMO, first you need to know if you want a clone of those speaker or you are looking for a good (better than what you have) DIY monitor, I haven't read about Barefoots but Kii is totally different story, it uses DSPs to control delay between drivers and also driver placements (2 on rear and on each sides) to control directivity (Cardioid pattern) that 's why it can sound good in different rooms, it has 6 channel dsp and 6 amps on each speaker that's also how it gets high spl and flat respond.
But if you want a good sounding monitor, you should look for something with reasonable sensitivity and very flat frequency respond (speaker shouldn't have any character), since you have experience with filters and EQs I would say go with DSP.
I suggest to do more research (to know what you are looking for, good sounding is not enough) on this and then more experienced guys will help you through.

Last edited by Aatto; 10th September 2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10th September 2018, 03:01 AM   #13
Alex Music is offline Alex Music  Romania
diyAudio Member

About the enclosure, Kii Three are 3D Printed?

What do you think about the 3d print case?
Old 10th September 2018, 05:05 AM   #14
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Music View Post
About the enclosure, Kii Three are 3D Printed?
Not 3D printed. "The enclosure is constructed in two halves from injection-moulded polyurethane structural ‘foam’ with integral internal bracing and fittings."

Here's the source of the quote above: Kii Audio Three |

jeff
Old 10th September 2018, 05:17 AM   #15
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Alex, are you sure of the drivers used?
Old 10th September 2018, 08:14 AM   #16
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want to build a pair of very good studio monitors, something like:
Quote:
I have access to expensive monitors and I have experience...
I'm not a beginner ...
Everybody wants very good speakers but they are expensive, so lot of people think that DIYing them can save tons of money. This can be true, but (and is a big but) only if the design is good. You don't state what is your experience, but from the question I bet you have never designed a speaker before. While you can design a pretty decent speaker without measurement (if you have access to drivers FR and impedance), designing a hi-end speaker involves measurements and the knowledge on how to interpret the results. Starting with a non-conventional 3-way is IMHO foolish. The best you can do is to find a reputable design that you like and build it.
Quote:
I want monitors with DSP because I do not listen in the anecoic room.
That's not a reason for having DSP. You can design a passive speaker for normal room placement too.

Ralf
Old 10th September 2018, 11:02 AM   #17
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Take a look at these for amplifiction Hypex Electronics B.V.
Old 10th September 2018, 11:20 AM   #18
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,
One thing about Fusion range from Hypex they do have dsp onboard (which is nice) but if you already have dedicated gear or plan to use a computer based solution, as far as i understand you can't bypass the AD/DA within the amp or rely on the one used by Hypex ( which should be good as i don't see them don't giving nice things to a ncore amp).
Deal breaker for a very clean signal path if you are in the situation given above though.

About diy a studio Monitor, Plasnu advice is wise ( he knows what he is talking about as he run a studio). If you want to use them in a near future just go shopping something better than yours and which is known to work as expected.

If you have time and wish to invest in measurement gear, learn how to use it and how to interpret the measurement, have skills in woodworking and be prepared to do test and prototype, learn about what you want to put emphasize on what you find interesting in the reference you gave and know about your room and how to get the best of it... go that route!
But it won't be as easy as selecting some drivers and build a loosy box and then process it.

If you don't... go shopping for something already proven. You'll save money and time.

Last edited by krivium; 10th September 2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10th September 2018, 11:41 AM   #19
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivium View Post
Hi,
One thing about Fusion range from Hypex they do have dsp onboard (which is nice) but if you already have dedicated gear or plan to use a computer based solution, as far as i understand you can't bypass the AD/DA within the amp or rely on the one used by Hypex ( which should be good as i don't see them don't giving nice things to a ncore amp).
Deal breaker for a very clean signal path if you are in the situation given above though.

The Fusionsamps do have digital input through AES, S/PDIF and TosLink, so there's no need to worry about an extra analog to digital conversion.
Old 10th September 2018, 12:02 PM   #20
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

If you rely on this generation of converters (and want to use the internal dsp).
In studio, gear change as fast as in audiophile or keeners world. What was used 5 years ago may be changed for 'supposed better' tech this year.
One last thing about this imposed choice (which may not be obvious for non pro users) is the lack of wordclock input.
You could still rely on selfclocking of spdif (toslink being spdif) or aes but in complex digital environment (implying a digital desk, a daw, effects or other digital treatments) it is common to have a clock generator using wordclock to distribute it independently of audio stream.

Details i know.
That said i don't question quality of Hypex range of products.

Last edited by krivium; 10th September 2018 at 12:10 PM.

DIY High End Studio MonitorsHide this!Advertise here!