Low budget and easy method for DIY waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something i would like to share with the rest of the (DIYaudio) world, is a way of making (round) waveguides.

First model was a 250Hz tractrix midhorn.
attachment.php

And more recently an oblate spherical like 10inch hf waveguide.
attachment.php

The material i use is plaster. It takes about 2 weeks to dry, depending on the thickness of course.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It helps to make the horn mouth out of plywood, otherwise it tends to break when you remove the back plate. For my current waveguide, i use a 45degree router bit for a 90degree opening.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Proef_opstelling_2_big.jpg
    Proef_opstelling_2_big.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 1,876
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 1,816
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 1,808
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 1,840
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 1,799
Reactions: 2 users
Looks nice! I like that it is well matched / finished, without being crazy fussy. What driver do you use, and what range is covered by that horn?

Nice. Again, what is the HF driver? It looks like a 1" dome tweeter.

The first photograph is from my previous set (although i still have it in storage). It used a focal midrange to cover 250 - 5000Hz. It was a really massive and very heavy horn.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The 10" waveguide is used in my current set. It's the third version actually. You can read about it here. I changed from a B&C de250 compression driver on a dayton horn, to a DIY waveguide, to the Dayton rst-28 on a DIY waveguide (current version). Dispersion is quite even over its operating range, and about 90 degrees (-6dB).

:up:
Very clever. Thank you.
Do you have info about how you finish them? Is there any care to be taken for them lasting long time?
I treat the plaster with an antiabsorbant layer first before putting on paint. Its the same what you use to treat walls which are plastered.

And the screws in the 3rd picture serve to support the plaster and reduce movement / cracks between plaster and baffle.

Attachments

• Hoorn4.jpg
    Hoorn4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,672
  • Hoorn2.jpg
    Hoorn2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,668
  • Hoornzijkant2.jpg
    Hoornzijkant2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,687
The first photograph is from my previous set (although i still have it in storage). It used a focal midrange to cover 250 - 5000Hz. It was a really massive and very heavy horn.

702824d1536658275-low-budget-easy-method-diy-waveguide-hoornzijkant2-jpg

702825d1536658275-low-budget-easy-method-diy-waveguide-hoorn2-jpg

702826d1536658275-low-budget-easy-method-diy-waveguide-hoorn4-jpg

The 10" waveguide is used in my current set. It's the third version actually. You can read about it here. I changed from a B&C de250 compression driver on a dayton horn, to a DIY waveguide, to the Dayton rst-28 on a DIY waveguide (current version). Dispersion is quite even over its operating range, and about 90 degrees (-6dB).

I treat the plaster with an antiabsorbant layer first before putting on paint. Its the same what you use to treat walls which are plastered.

And the screws in the 3rd picture serve to support the plaster and reduce movement / cracks between plaster and baffle.

this is beautiful!!!! and excellent engineering

I'm also interested in knowing this! :)
I tried an electrical 2nd order high pass @900 hz, that was too low, resulting in excessive distortion. 1200hz was fine, probably 1100hz 4th order as well.

The Dayton tweeter is currently use, the rst28, can handle 900hz without too much distortion (of course this depends on how loud you play, but I'm not running a pa company).

Good stuff!

I had some issues with plaster and cement in the past (cracks, dents, etc). Has anyone tried a sand/epoxy mixture? I once used a layer of this stuff on the inside of a loudspeaker box. It is more durable, but it stinks.

Any experience with making smaller waveguides?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.