Nearfield Monitors with 5 or 6.5" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
morel ultimate uw 1058

A cabinet design with 20-21 Liters (0.7-0.75cuft) completely empty, ends up close to 17 Liters (0.6cuft) after adding the speakers + crossover parts + bracing + port tube. Internal sound absorption material like fiberglass and wool will increase the effective volume.
LineSource:Thank you for the input to correcting my idea.

Is 62Hz low enough to integrated to a mono subwoofer, i.e. a 2.1 system. This could be a flexible solution.
As Bigun suggested i have an UW1058, now very expensive with neodym, in sealed cabinet (48 Liter) with partnership to sold monitor.
New way could evened with SB17. :)

Attachments

• PIC_0051.JPG
    PIC_0051.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 271
  • morel_uw_1058.pdf
    199 KB · Views: 28
Hey guys,

@Patrick Bateman : Yes you are probably right :( less fun, a sure result, probably less costly ...... But less pleasure too.

@Bangla : Thank. I will need some times to go in ... I've got another huge project ... building two boxes around 170 Liters for two pairs of beyma SM112N. I need to learn about vent calculation ... hard time for me ... But that's another story ...

Well I'm on rabbitz design ! I have a few question about it :

- Any data about the air self ? Resistance ?
- Any advice about the inside ? matter and quantitiy needed ?
- Any good reseller of the drivers in Europe ?

Thank you !

Last edited:
Well I'm on rabbitz design ! I have a few question about it :

- Any data about the air self ? Resistance ?
- Any advice about the inside ? matter and quantitiy needed ?
- Any good reseller of the drivers in Europe ?

Thank you !

The Soprano is not my design but I have suggested it as it is a great little speaker that is suitable for near field. The design is by Jeff Bagby.

I'm not sure I understand your questions but will give some information. The midwoofer holes need to be chamfered on the inside to help with air flow as these are a small driver. For damping I glue 6mm felt (such as ironing board underlay) inside for the top, bottom and side panels. Damping (I used Jantzen 014-0410) is then used behind the drivers in an L-shape as shown in the link below.
Kit in Australia - Page 3 - diyAudio
Wadding

As the speaker has small panels there is no bracing required but I have cleats on the back to allow for a removable back panel as well as it adds mass to the end of the top, bottom and side panels.

I've added some links and pictures for reference.

http://www.diyspeakerforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/56956-sopranos-jeff-bagby-build-log

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/soprano-pair/

I've added a drawing of mine for reference which is different to Jeff's speaker which is 165W x 267H x 203D made from 18mm mdf. Please note that the woofer rebate is deeper than the driver due to the thick gasket and on later builds I've rebated to 7mm.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Soprano_back.jpg
    Soprano_back.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 184
  • Soprano_front.jpg
    Soprano_front.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Soprano_inside.jpg
    Soprano_inside.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Soprano_xo.jpg
    Soprano_xo.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Soprano_SB12NRX254_SB26STCN_REV1.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 71
Since box size seems as important as sound quality to you....
A 6" SB17MFC35-8 midwoofer in a sealed cabinet constructed of 0.75" plywood with 0.6cuft TOTAL EMPTY VOLUME would not need bracing and produces -F3=64.5Hz before room gain.
======
Many hi-end monitors use rounds/bevels edge treatment to reduce baffle edge distortion. Sound quality is important to professionals.

Attachments

• rounds bevels.jpg
    rounds bevels.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 134
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.