Nearfield Monitors with 5 or 6.5" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nearfield Monitors with 5" woofer

Hello guys,

I would like to work on a small Nearfield monitors. Any help would be really appreciate. For first run and test I will use active crossover.

I would like a pair of nearfield with :
- 90 or 91 db / W / m
- woofer with a really big motor ;)
- woofer with Fs around 50 Hz
- woofer with a Xmax around 5mm
- lowe distorsion
- low budget, round 200€
- smalles size possible :D

Well a sort of jack all trade !

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:
For a Nearfield monitor sonic accuracy should be more important than high efficiency.
Consider this SB_Acoustics ported example.

=============The Devil is in the Details.
I would like to work on a small Nearfield monitors. For first run and test I will use active crossover.
??? Will you ALWAYS use DSP crossover -OR- must the design also work well with a passive crossover
??? Does your DSP include time delays to compensate for driver physical offset
??? A passive design will require a larger ported cabinet for bass goals than active with DSP bass boost

I would like a pair of nearfield with : - 90 or 91 db / W / m
??? 4-ohm or 8-ohm

- woofer with a really big motor
- woofer with Fs around 50 Hz
- woofer with a Xmax around 5mm
- low distorsion

- low budget, round 200€
??? For each speaker
??? Drivers only
??? Drivers + passive crossover
??? Drivers + passive crossover + cabinet

- smallest size possible
??? With DSP + bass boost
??? With passive crossover in ported cabinet

Attachments

• SB Acoustics monitor.jpg
    SB Acoustics monitor.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,027
Hello,

You are right. Thank you. I'm not clear at all !
- DSP include time delay and phase compensation.
- I prefer speakers who can work with passive crossover. For the first round i will use active crossover.
- I want to be able to migrate from an active crossover to a passive crossver without changing the speakers.
- I prefer to have a little large boxes and have some bass. The cabinet, with MDF, is not the costly part ....
- around 200€ drivers only, for the 4 drivers. Of course, if there is a sonic gape, for some bucks,
- Preference for 8 Ohms speakers

Thank you for this exemple. Can I presume the bass reflex ports is visible at 40Hz ?

Last edited:
I prefer to have a little large boxes and have some bass. The cabinet, with MDF, is not the costly part .... Can I presume the bass reflex ports is visible at 40Hz ?

The port is normally put on the rear panel behind the tweeter, or on the bottom of the front panel. Troels Gravansen monitor cabinet is one example.

Example: Volume vs F3 for SB17NRXC35-8
0.6ft^3 = F3 =48Hz
0.7ft^3 = F3 =45Hz
0.8ft^3 = F3 =42Hz
1.0ft^3 = F3 =38Hz

Attachments

• F3 x volume.jpg
    F3 x volume.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 628
  • Troels Gravansen Drawing.jpg
    Troels Gravansen Drawing.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 618
The tweeter in the pic in post #2 is SB26STAC-C000-4. The crossover is my design which has been posted here previously but I have no idea about the enclosure as I do not know where it came from or whether it uses that crossover.

I would not use it nearfield as I think it could go too low but could be modded (size and tuning) as well as if it was sealed instead of vented it should be OK for around 65Hz. The woofer could be changed to SB15MFC30-8 with minor crossover changes to give a smaller design.

For nearfield work I usually go for an F3 between 50-60Hz and all the ones I use range between 60-75Hz. For nearfield I use drivers 5" or smaller.

One of the speakers I use for nearfield is Jeff Bagby's Soprano but may be a bit small for what you are after.
Various loudspeaker design suggestions

Hello,

Thank you for your help !
@LineSource : thank you to have help me to clarify my needs ! Indeed it's the most important thing in a projet. Schematics are great and clear.
@Rabbitz : I will look after that.

Indeed after some reflexion :
- For near field and a small sized box, I would prefer a 5" wooffer. The 4" is interesting too, but a little more limited thant a 5".
- If I need bookshelf, or good surround, I will go with a 6,5"
- F3 around 55Hz seems good to me. I would prefer a speaker close to 90 dB/W/m. Of course I prefer to drop one dB and get a "better" result.

Thank you.

I am a great fan of the FaitalPro 5FE120 but it 'only' goes down to 63Hz.

Since you mentioned a price of below €200 I assume you are in Europe.
This is where things get weird because prices vary quite dramatically!

In the UK it costs about £21 or €23.50 from Blue Aran or Lean Business and about the same in France from toutlehautparleur.com.
However the prices I found in Germany range from €37 to €45.
In other words the same or more than what this Italian-made driver costs in the US!

an Oldie Davis 13KLV5(M)A

Hi gug,
may a bit idea to older speaker.

I like the Davis 5", it is real a very old chassis, it has 91dB/spl and goes to 57Hz in ~7liter vented volume and is linear to 4kHz.
Newer chassis you would difficult find all combined.
My tests are based on B. Timmermanns construction in late 90'is.
I have experimented with Expolinear RT-4Pro and finally a result what i like to
listen.:)
Many other options with own magic possible.
Davis Lautsprecher 13KLV5A | Lautsprecher Intertechnik - Shop

Attachments

• CAM00008.jpg
    CAM00008.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 393
PORTS SUCK! they also blow... whistle... huff and puff.... leak midrange harmonics.... generate phase shifts

TID....BIT.... Put a 6.5" SB17MFC35-8 midwoofer in a sealed 0.6cuft cabinet and you will experience excellent transients from 2,300Hz down to -F3=62Hz before room gain.

As part of your decision tree... Have you compared sealed vs. ported nearfield speakers?

Last edited:
SB17MFC

I have visit Zaph webpage to read about ZD5- sealed cabinet 0,5cuft has my attention.
You can see in my pic underneath Davis a old Seas W210NP in a sealed 1,2cuft (32Liter) cabinet, F3 ~ 60Hz.
Since i have sold it to a good Friend i was searching a speaker who would do a
good job like that one.
Thanks for info form SB17MFC, lineSource.
I agree your points with impressions, experience in listening to my Seas monitor.;)
The SB17MFC is a candidate since i read about Jeff Bagby's Tributes with balanced crossover.
Would it work in sealed cabinet too?:confused:

Jeff Bagby's Tributes Build
From meeting: YouTube

Regards

So you can go sealed or vented in 17 Liter cabinet.
1) A cabinet design with 20-21 Liters (0.7-0.75cuft) completely empty, ends up close to 17 Liters (0.6cuft) after adding the speakers + crossover parts + bracing + port tube. Internal sound absorption material like fiberglass and wool will increase the effective volume.

2) For greater usage flexibilty, you can include a port which is easy to plug, or easy to unscrew and remove.
--sealed 0.6ft^3 produces -F3 =62Hz
--Post #5 ported 0.6ft^3 produces -F3 =48Hz (2" internal diameter pipe, 11" long)
--studio monitors typically favor a front port for direct impact, home speakers typically favor a rear port for room intergration.

3) Bevels or Rounds... on top monitor cabinets. Reducing edge diffraction distortion is worth the effort to cut top edge bevels around the tweeter as in Post #5, or use a router to round the cabinet edges. A router with a 0.5" chuck can run a 1.5" radius quarter round bit. A 2xThick baffle is required.

Attachments

• rounds bevels.jpg
    rounds bevels.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 278
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.