Open source speaker project - Part II

Design Goal

• Classic -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Classic -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+), Cabinet Size 80-110

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Classic XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Tower -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Tower -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+) , Cabinet Size 80-110

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Tower XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In order to "build the speaker" you need to know what to build (box dimensions, which drivers, filter circuits, etc.). To figure that out, the designers need to measure drivers, build prototypes, and tweak the design. This was something that was mentioned a few times in part I of the thread. It would be wrong to let the designers invest a lot of their time for the design, and then even ask them to pay for the whole thing.

I guess it would be fair if everyone interested in the Open Source Speaker would provide a little bit of his cash and make himself a proud sponsor of the design (be it the Monkey Coffin of the XL Tower).

In any case, this is certainly not the first "open source project" that hits the point where money is needed. I have no experience with this, but I am sure there are good ways to make this work. I remember someone offered help to raise funds, but I cannot find that post anymore. Maybe I am searching for the wrong terms. Was that in part I or part II?

This might explain some of my bafflement with this/these projects. You are proposing to perform a few rough calculations before buying some drivers, measuring, building prototype speaker, measuring, modifying speaker, measuring,... You don't intend to spend a significant amount of group effort and time in evaluating the options and optimising the design first on paper as I, and possibly others, had assumed?

I had also assumed that after the design looked good on paper one or two might buy and build the speakers for themselves enabling further refinement to take place. This is why I have only been interested in being involved in designs for which I believe there is a demand unlike the high sensitivity designs currently being discussed for which I think there is low demand. But then it only needs one to be sufficiently happy to buy the parts, build, measure and tweak in order to complete the project.

This might explain some of my bafflement with this/these projects. You are proposing to perform a few rough calculations before buying some drivers, measuring, building prototype speaker, measuring, modifying speaker, measuring,... You don't intend to spend a significant amount of group effort and time in evaluating the options and optimising the design first on paper as I, and possibly others, had assumed?

I had also assumed that after the design looked good on paper one or two might buy and build the speakers for themselves enabling further refinement to take place. This is why I have only been interested in being involved in designs for which I believe there is a demand unlike the high sensitivity designs currently being discussed for which I think there is low demand. But then it only needs one to be sufficiently happy to buy the parts, build, measure and tweak in order to complete the project.

Stop trolling please.

we had different options in the poll, not just high sensitivity ones !
Andy you are not helping. you can change your tone if you think there s a better way to approach.

Perhaps a group design will prove to be a mission impossible, in our case. We will stay tuned and hope for the best. I don't see a purpose of getting emotions in the way of a progress. Andy has raised some very good points but there appears to be a lack of understanding in that sense.

I dont know, maybe it's ok to help pay materials for prototype boxes and xo parts. Just to get it all ironed out 100%. It does cost a lot of time and money.

But it does not sound right to me to get people to pay for the complete build including drivers. I think the prototype builders should keep the speakers, or sell them for a fair price, whatever they want.

Edit:
And if there is money left over after the project, all of it should be donated to Diyaudio.

Last edited:
Here's a post from the Monkey Coffin thread:

It has been interesting to observe this projects evolution.... group and individual decisions co-mingled.... many excellent observations and contributions. But for the sake of, well, practicality, and, god do I say it, profit, I am also developing a commercial version, more or less of what this thread has been chasing.

Up front, NO, I am not directly using any of the information developed on the tread.

It will be fun to watch where the Monkey Box thread goes and the results of same! Good luck!

On the one hand, it is encouraging that others like what we are doing, but also raises a concern. While John Busch does not seem to "steal" the Monkey Coffing design ideas for his own commercial profit, others might actually go this route.

Would it make sense to put the open source speaker designs (Monkey Coffin, Tower XL) under some open source license? I think there are licenses for documentation projects out there that might be suitable for our purposes. This should help to avoid pirating our open source design for commercial profit without giving proper credit to what we are doing here.

yes ! that is a big concern, it is absolutely absurd that someone get advantage of these projects, this is against the whole goal and purpose of open source projects, and I would be furious. TBH I never thought of that because I wouldn't think someone would do this.
maybe someone with legal experience can help us out here. maybe start a new thread for that matter ?

yes ! that is a big concern, it is absolutely absurd that someone get advantage of these projects, this is against the whole goal and purpose of open source projects, and I would be furious. TBH I never thought of that because I wouldn't think someone would do this.
maybe someone with legal experience can help us out here. maybe start a new thread for that matter ?

haha. How likely is it someone is going to make any real money out of this open source project? I'd so close to zero.

I added the following note to the first post of the Monkey Coffin thread:

Important note 31 Oct. 2019: DIYers may profit from this open-source project for their own private purposes, for example by building and enjoying a copy of the Open Source Monkey Coffin speaker. Please do not use the information developed in this open source project on a larger scale (for example by selling speakers based on the Open Source Monkey Coffin design or substantial parts of it) without written permission.

I hope that helps to get the idea across.

Important note 31 Oct. 2019: DIYers may profit from this open-source project for their own private purposes, for example by building and enjoying a copy of the Open Source Monkey Coffin speaker. Please do not use the information developed in this open source project on a larger scale (for example by selling speakers based on the Open Source Monkey Coffin design or substantial parts of it) without written permission.

I think this is fine.

That's good. I may add the same thing to XL if you don't mind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.