Open source speaker project - Part II

Design Goal

• Classic -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Classic -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+), Cabinet Size 80-110

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Classic XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Tower -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Tower -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+) , Cabinet Size 80-110

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Tower XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok back to thread, any suggestion on woofer anybody ? i went through some and couldn't find anything better than that B&C 15BG100, it would be nice if it was cheaper and also more sensitive :D , we can always go half space , BMS 12N630 is such a interesting woofer but not gonna get close to 90+db fullspace, unless experts have some tricks up their sleeves :D

EDIT: scratch my calculation for LaVoce WAN154.01, i made a mistake, it cann't tune that low.

Last edited:
also these:
EMINENCE KAPPA-15LFA - 99dB
fs 39 Hz
Re 5.4 ohms
Le 1.27mH
Qes .41
Qms 6.08
Qts .38
Vas 159 Liters/5.6cu. ft.
Xmax 5.5mm

Ciare FXE15-4 - 97dB
fs 40.6 Hz
Re 5.89 ohms
Qes .42
Qms 12.29
Qts .4
Vas 131.01 Liters/4.63 cu. ft.
Xmax 9.75mm

RADIAN 2216 - 96.5dB
Fs 44 Hz
Re 5.4 ohms
Le .96 mH
Qts .548
Qms 21.5
Qes .562
Vas 108 Liters / 7.34 cu. ft.

Take a look at Faital PRO 15Pr400.

Tony Gee used those in his Calpanos

I have heard those speakers and think they are quite excellent.

I believe he is working on a 3 way but with using an 18" for bass. Perhaps a bit too large and expensive for this project.

very interesting. I did a quick cal, and it shows it can be tuned to 42Hz in a 130-150 liter (-3db f3) , but that Calpamos is tuned to 33, didn't have time to do a simulation but a cheap online simulation (speakerbuilderpro) in a 120 liter box tuned to 33Hz shows a smooth roll off and not a peak :) will do a simulation later ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• asfasf.JPG
    asfasf.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 441
I was just making a joke,
Yes that was clear even without the smiley and so I responded in kind even if it wasn't appreciated by all.

Aatto said:
you could guide the project a little since you have the experience. this is not helpful,
I have been providing some input to guide the project but it has been largely, although not wholly, ignored. No problems since I am still interested in how this group project progresses and why.

Aatto said:
if this project doesn't get anywhere or never get finished, yes that would be a shame, but at least we tried !
Trying and failing is useful if you learn from the experience and use that experience later otherwise it is likely to have been largely a waste of time.

I have been providing some input to guide the project but it has been largely, although not wholly, ignored. No problems since I am still interested in how this group project progresses and why.

Trying and failing is useful if you learn from the experience and use that experience later otherwise it is likely to have been largely a waste of time.

yes and novice people like me will defiantly appreciate it. I understand if you feel "a waste of time" but maybe others (again like me) will learn a thing or two even from chit chats.
I would not take it personally if a suggestion or two been ignored, as you said this is a group project with million opinions and different ways to approach.
will be glad to have you on board.

very interesting. I did a quick cal, and it shows it can be tuned to 42Hz in a 130-150 liter (-3db f3) , but that Calpamos is tuned to 33, didn't have time to do a simulation but a cheap online simulation (speakerbuilderpro) in a 120 liter box tuned to 33Hz shows a smooth roll off and not a peak :) will do a simulation later ;)

704504d1537416397-source-speaker-project-ii-asfasf-jpg

The Calpamos is 200 litres. Works for sure. There are a couple of reviews by users and they are very impressed.

we need volunteers then.
I m very eager to start a speaker project myself now that I have a bit of free time, I was waiting to see how this goes but unfortunately, living in a small apartment, I have no need for a high sensitivity speaker or have room for a huge tower. otherwise I would do that.
So... any suggestions?

Last edited:
that's big question and huge setback, I assumed whoever wants to build the speaker will participate in prototypes and measurements. what do you suggest ?

In order to "build the speaker" you need to know what to build (box dimensions, which drivers, filter circuits, etc.). To figure that out, the designers need to measure drivers, build prototypes, and tweak the design. This was something that was mentioned a few times in part I of the thread. It would be wrong to let the designers invest a lot of their time for the design, and then even ask them to pay for the whole thing.

I guess it would be fair if everyone interested in the Open Source Speaker would provide a little bit of his cash and make himself a proud sponsor of the design (be it the Monkey Coffin of the XL Tower).

In any case, this is certainly not the first "open source project" that hits the point where money is needed. I have no experience with this, but I am sure there are good ways to make this work. I remember someone offered help to raise funds, but I cannot find that post anymore. Maybe I am searching for the wrong terms. Was that in part I or part II?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.