Open source speaker project - Part II

Design Goal

• Classic -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Classic -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+), Cabinet Size 80-110

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Classic XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Tower -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Tower -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+) , Cabinet Size 80-110

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Tower XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Given our earlier discussion about cone mass vs. sound I am not sure what you are after here.
I was asking if the intention was to design a high end speaker to complement high end amplifier designs or to design a high fidelity speaker. Your opening post in your new thread combined with your answers and non-answers here suggest a lack of commitment to either camp. I suspect I may be asking about a distinction you do not make or recognise which is fair enough.

Ah, ok, I see. I am not commited to a any of those "camps". I find it difficult to understand the terms "high end" and "high fidelity" in an engineering context. I have read those terms so many times in marketing and advertisement texts that they have lost any meaning to me.

My idea is to design a speaker that reproduces the music signal as good as possible (maybe that's what "high fidelity" meant before I got brainwashed). This speaker is allowed to cost a little bit of money (maybe a lot of money by some standards), but the money should be spent for good technical reasons (maybe the money thing relates to the "end" in "high end"? I don't know).

There is a very wide range of speakers designs because people have differing requirements: budget, low frequency extension, SPL, size, shape, looks, high fidelity or high end, etc... A design obviously cannot satisfy all these equally and so for a group project the relative importance of these for a particular design needs to be agreed by all those that are onboard. This can only be done with any reliability by writing it down and getting group agreement. If you don't do this as the design progresses people that have invested significant time and effort will get seriously upset when what they expected the design to be is in conflict with what others that have invested significant time and effort expected the design to be.

at this point almost all of the mentioned requirement have been established by the poll, we know budget (max 1000$ for drivers has been agreed, for a pair), low frequency extension (F3 of 35 to 40), SPL (92db+), size (100 to 150 liter), shape (tower),... as for looks the dominate factor would be the woofer(s) one big woofer or any other combinations, and high end vs hifi ? TBH IMHO i do not see how that would be a factor, based on budget if you have to choose I do not think we are going to have High end drivers if that's what you mean.

and as we all agreed, this numbers are not fixed and can be change (not drastically) toward another factor by designers.

Aatto: It can be done with the right driver if it's a 15" or 18", but cost is also important to take into account. Active woofer would be outside the limits of what the poll has decided.

A 15" on the front baffle is probably the lesser evil here, it would ease work with box simulation and xo significantly.
As a side note I think it's a bit unpractical to focus more on f3 than f6, I would rather have a slow roll off than sharp, for numerous reasons, but the limit of 35-40hz should pose no problem.

I went through some 15" and couldn't find any interesting options, any suggestions ?

Really? Did you run any through any of the box model programs? They're are a fair number of woofers that will fit the bill but they do eat up a lot of the budget. I don't see two woofers working and keeping the impedance up and staying within budget, not a lot of options for 16ohm woofers.

I'll come up with a list tonight, and then Andy191 can come in and say this is premature and with need to outline what we want to build, again. :)
Premature? There is nothing premature about these threads which have dragged on for weeks and weeks without designs starting. A few weeks ago I tried to get some input from others on something close to the runner-up design but without success and so I started an alternative side project for my free time (which is coming along nicely). If we can drag out the chat for a further couple of months, perhaps two more polls?, I might be in a position to get actively involved rather than just chatting in my tea breaks. We will see.

so .. apparently now we get hammered for taking us too long to get to this point.
i m glad that you have your project going on and would be more glad if instead of bashing every post because it doesn't go the way it should or as fast as it should IYO, you could guide the project a little since you have the experience. this is not helpful, if this project doesn't get anywhere or never get finished, yes that would be a shame, but at least we tried !
sorry, had to say this.

Last edited:
Premature? There is nothing premature about these threads which have dragged on for weeks and weeks without designs starting. A few weeks ago I tried to get some input from others on something close to the runner-up design but without success and so I started an alternative side project for my free time (which is coming along nicely). If we can drag out the chat for a further couple of months, perhaps two more polls?, I might be in a position to get actively involved rather than just chatting in my tea breaks. We will see.

I was just making a joke, I think your input has been as valuable as anyone's.
I'm with you that this has been a slow process. I think it's the nature of the beast though.

so .. apparently now we get hammered for taking us too long to get to this point.
i m glad that you have your project going on and would be more glad if instead of bashing every post because it doesn't go the way it should or as fast as it should IYO, you could guide the project a little since you have the experience. this is not helpful, if this project doesn't get anywhere or never get finished, yes that would be a shame, but at least we tried !
sorry, had to say this.

Please don't be frustrated, all things considered this thread has gone well.

sometimes is hard to converge things from people's opinion, but it can be done through some amount of polls and processing the data. The same question can be asked in a different ways.

People are much more comfortable to vote then to write or speak.

Promoting polls on facebook and other places can help to speed up things.

Not quite, i was expecting some way overboard 5-way ultimate ultra flat uber expensive above all no holds barred speaker...well, what a disapointment
My suggestion was ignored, no biggie

haha, you never know what we are cooking in secret.... but i m gonna keep it all to myself and never show it here :D

sorry bro, you could start another thread, I'd be interested.
Please don't be frustrated, all things considered this thread has gone well.
He s joking ;) and also I m all good, just don't understand the mind set ;)

Last edited:
sometimes is hard to converge things from people's opinion, but it can be done through some amount of polls and processing the data. The same question can be asked in a different ways.

People are much more comfortable to vote then to write or speak.

Promoting polls on facebook and other places can help to speed up things.

yes i agree, it is absolutely not an easy task, and also not possible to keep everybody happy :) and hopefully we will not need more polls ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.