Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source speaker project - Part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Design Goal
Classic -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80 18 17.82%
Classic -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+), Cabinet Size 80-110 10 9.90%
Classic XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+ 12 11.88%
Tower -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80 13 12.87%
Tower -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+) , Cabinet Size 80-110 21 20.79%
Tower XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+ 27 26.73%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th September 2018, 12:20 PM   #41
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
I would say it seems this qualifies for a Tower XL and a Classic style Amp friendly compact design...?

Maybe if we can keep it to less than 150 liters, and pending on the design some of the Tower Bass Friendly crowd will also be happy?
I doubt it. Very large tower speakers are limited to people with large rooms and no issues with the presence of very large boxes in those rooms. With a few exceptions this is likely to mean a man cave/room rather than a shared living space. One or two DIYers might have this luxury but it will be a small number.

A link to a similar(ish) group project I posted a couple of times earlier also ended up voting for a very large speaker. It didn't seem to get designed or built even though the OP bought the drivers. People voting on polls like this are expressing an interest and it is the same interest that determines what gets reviewed in audiophile, car,... magazines: big high performance stuff that appeals to enthusiasts but will get bought by very few.
Old 13th September 2018, 01:50 PM   #42
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would say it seems this qualifies for a Tower XL and a Classic style Amp friendly compact design...?

Maybe if we can keep it to less than 150 liters, and pending on the design some of the Tower Bass Friendly crowd will also be happy?
The vote will tell us what type of speaker most people want to see developed here. That will help the design team to make the their choices in order to design something that will appeal to many builders. However, I would be surprised if the whole design team would fall in love with the speaker type that received the most votes, and no one is obliged to follow the outcome of the vote. Part of the design team might even go on and design something else.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:27 PM   #43
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
I doubt it. Very large tower speakers are limited to people with large rooms and no issues with the presence of very large boxes in those rooms. With a few exceptions this is likely to mean a man cave/room rather than a shared living space. One or two DIYers might have this luxury but it will be a small number.
Mine are going in the living room. My kids and wife are excited, they think big speaker look cool and they get to listen to them too. The brain washing was not difficult.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:53 PM   #44
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordikai View Post
Mine are going in the living room. My kids and wife are excited, they think big speaker look cool and they get to listen to them too. The brain washing was not difficult.
How long will it last?
Old 13th September 2018, 03:22 PM   #45
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My kids and wife are excited, they think big speaker look cool and they get to listen to them too. The brain washing was not difficult.
How did you do that? Was it expensive?
Old 13th September 2018, 03:46 PM   #46
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
that s some skill alright glad to have you on board.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:04 PM   #47
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Quote:
I doubt it. Very large tower speakers are limited to people with large rooms and no issues with the presence of very large boxes in those rooms. With a few exceptions this is likely to mean a man cave/room rather than a shared living space. One or two DIYers might have this luxury but it will be a small number...
if we can meet the criteria and still manage to make it within a smaller form factor I do not see the point of going larger of course, not sure how would that happen tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
The vote will tell us what type of speaker most people want to see developed here. That will help the design team to make the their choices in order to design something that will appeal to many builders. However, I would be surprised if the whole design team would fall in love with the speaker type that received the most votes, and no one is obliged to follow the outcome of the vote. Part of the design team might even go on and design something else.
Agreed,
Old 13th September 2018, 04:38 PM   #48
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
How long will it last?
Mine is an all out, long term strategy. I spent years making the wall where the speakers go a messy eyesore. The new giant speakers and cleaned up area will be vast improvement. I have also been doing unsolicited kind acts, yesterday a pair of new shoes for one child, a LEGO set for the other and some wool fabric for my wife.

The real reason is that I'm very tolerant of my wife's hobbies which are many. Right now we have large buckets of indigo dye in the kitchen and three sewing machines in the family room, giant bundles of flax by the garage door.
We're a chaotic household, but fun and busy.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:07 PM   #49
invaderzim is offline invaderzim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
<snip> People voting on polls like this are expressing an interest and it is the same interest that determines what gets reviewed in audiophile, car,... magazines: big high performance stuff that appeals to enthusiasts but will get bought by very few.
That is the problem with polls and surveys for product design. What interests and excites people isn't always what they buy.

The classic example of this for me is Scion cars. They made quirky little reasonably priced cars that sold pretty well. When they updated them they listened to their customers who said more power and more room would be nice. That ended up with the cars being more like everything else on the road so the customers that bought them because they were less expensive and quirky weren't interested.

The other issue is how many people that like one of the design choices are in the market for speakers in the short term. How many of those will still be in the market once the price is attached? I voted for the first option but since I'm not looking to replace my main speakers these would be a fun sort of project to probably use in another room so the price could get out of range pretty fast.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:09 PM   #50
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I doubt it. Very large tower speakers are limited to people with large rooms and no issues with the presence of very large boxes in those rooms. With a few exceptions this is likely to mean a man cave/room rather than a shared living space...
Yes, but my personal suggestion was to build the smallest AND the largest design with the most votes, it is not that much more work to do two designs when you got the ball rolling.

Open source speaker project - Part IIHide this!Advertise here!