Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source speaker project - Part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Design Goal
Classic -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80 18 17.82%
Classic -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+), Cabinet Size 80-110 10 9.90%
Classic XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+ 12 11.88%
Tower -Amp Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Higher Bass Ext (f3 40-45Hz), Cabinet Size 60-80 13 12.87%
Tower -Bass Friendly- Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Lower Sensitivity (88db+) , Cabinet Size 80-110 21 20.79%
Tower XL -Amp and Bass Friendly- Hi Sensitivity (92db+), Deep Bass (f3 35-40Hz), Cabinet size 100+ 27 26.73%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st September 2018, 05:58 AM   #131
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

If things do go forward (and they do), we'll need money to buy parts at some time. Any ideas or suggestions on how to manage that?
Old 21st September 2018, 02:08 PM   #132
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
If things do go forward (and they do), we'll need money to buy parts at some time. Any ideas or suggestions on how to manage that?
for drivers ? for in cabinet measurements ? can you please explain more.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:20 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Elite View Post
The Calpamos is 200 litres. Works for sure. There are a couple of reviews by users and they are very impressed.
yeah, It meets the criteria, I ll post it in other thread thanks.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:42 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
for drivers ? for in cabinet measurements ? can you please explain more.

For parts. We'll have to build prototypes at some point.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:55 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

that's big question and huge setback, I assumed whoever wants to build the speaker will participate in prototypes and measurements. what do you suggest ?
Old 21st September 2018, 02:59 PM   #136
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Boxes will have to be built before measuring the drivers, measuring the drivers has to be done to make the correct crossover network. Then there is fine tuning and various adjustments.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:08 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

we need volunteers then.
I m very eager to start a speaker project myself now that I have a bit of free time, I was waiting to see how this goes but unfortunately, living in a small apartment, I have no need for a high sensitivity speaker or have room for a huge tower. otherwise I would do that.
So... any suggestions?

Last edited by Aatto; 21st September 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:12 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
that's big question and huge setback, I assumed whoever wants to build the speaker will participate in prototypes and measurements. what do you suggest ?
In order to "build the speaker" you need to know what to build (box dimensions, which drivers, filter circuits, etc.). To figure that out, the designers need to measure drivers, build prototypes, and tweak the design. This was something that was mentioned a few times in part I of the thread. It would be wrong to let the designers invest a lot of their time for the design, and then even ask them to pay for the whole thing.

I guess it would be fair if everyone interested in the Open Source Speaker would provide a little bit of his cash and make himself a proud sponsor of the design (be it the Monkey Coffin of the XL Tower).

In any case, this is certainly not the first "open source project" that hits the point where money is needed. I have no experience with this, but I am sure there are good ways to make this work. I remember someone offered help to raise funds, but I cannot find that post anymore. Maybe I am searching for the wrong terms. Was that in part I or part II?
Old 21st September 2018, 03:17 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

absolutely, dude, I do not think anybody would expect that. that's wrong.
I m in for raising money, if we can figure out a way to make a fundraising, that would be great. even if only 50 people participate it wouldn't be so hard on anybody
Old 21st September 2018, 03:19 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

after we finish w the project we can do a raffle with people participated in fundraising and they can win the parts !

Open source speaker project - Part IIHide this!Advertise here!