Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

PMC BB5 passive crossover schematic info wanted
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2018, 12:15 PM   #1
darkmatter is offline darkmatter  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question PMC BB5 passive crossover schematic info wanted

I am looking for any details or information concerning the crossover schematic for the PMC BB5 passive monitor speaker system.

Obviously this will have to be from someone who has reverse engineered or traced the crossover circuit, as such information is copyrighted.

A layout of the components would be a great help.

Pics of the speaker here

PM or post if you can help

Thanks

Last edited by darkmatter; 7th September 2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update
Old 6th September 2018, 12:25 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think you will find that information has copyright.
Old 6th September 2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Besides copyright you would need the PMC mid dome which is not actually for sale.
Old 6th September 2018, 08:19 PM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, XO map drawn by PMC will be copyright, but maybe someone has reverse engineered the XO. It is at least worth some theoretical value and would be interesting to see.

dave
Old 7th September 2018, 12:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Yes, XO map drawn by PMC will be copyright, but maybe someone has reverse engineered the XO. It is at least worth some theoretical value and would be interesting to see.

dave
Thanks planet10, I will only be seeking information that has been reverse engineered or traced, I do not want to fall foul of any copyright infringement.

The information is for guidance only, as I want to find out the bandpass topology used for the midrange, I think it has 4th order electrical slopes.

Thanks,

DM
Old 7th September 2018, 01:46 PM   #6
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ah, we are unlocked again.

We did a huge and largely pointless thread on the similar Wilmslow Audio Prestige.

FLOOR-STANDING Loudspeakers

It's actually a difficult speaker. But uses 12" Volt bass and 3" Volt dome mid. 750Hz and 3kHz XO, I'd guess.

I have a typical circuit from that thread below. It actually modelled horribly. The dome mid doesn't play nicely with the bass slopes on simple filter. I'd never be tempted by a speaker of this type given a regular cone mid or two works so well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilmslow Audio Presige juancho version 16 ohms.JPG (46.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 9th September 2018, 12:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Ah, we are unlocked again.

We did a huge and largely pointless thread on the similar Wilmslow Audio Prestige.

FLOOR-STANDING Loudspeakers

It's actually a difficult speaker. But uses 12" Volt bass and 3" Volt dome mid. 750Hz and 3kHz XO, I'd guess.

I have a typical circuit from that thread below. It actually modelled horribly. The dome mid doesn't play nicely with the bass slopes on simple filter. I'd never be tempted by a speaker of this type given a regular cone mid or two works so well.
Indeed the curcuit design using the VM752 mid was way out in my view, the WM752 unit needs 3rd or 4th order electrical slopes as a minimum. The ATC mid used in the schematic you posted is a completely different unit in all respects. I will revisit the thread for reference only.

Last edited by darkmatter; 9th September 2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 20th September 2018, 03:02 PM   #8
cyte is offline cyte  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The schematic and PCB are proprietary and copyrighted.

PMC state in their marketing that their 3-way passive crossovers are 4th order Linkwitz-Riley.
That's really all you need to know.

PMC BB5 passive crossover schematic info wantedHide this!Advertise here!