Making a cabinet for a coaxial-driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

What software can I calculate/play around with the Eminence Beta 10CX plus ASD1001S driver in a sealed cabinet? I'm planning to build a Tham12 and then have two smaller satellite speakers. The cabinet should be as small as possible and will be crossed with the sub around 110-120hz.

Good efficiency is important since the system will be battery-driven.
I was thinking of making it 15 liters to make transportation easier - I'll see if I can make two Beta 10CX fit perfectly on top of the Tham12 or something.

Amp and batteries are in a seperate box. They're all supposed to be stackable - Since the Tham will have small wheels on it, I'll be able to drag everything a long like a big suitcase :)

Hi Grymer if you use a Tham12 for sub i got best sound results crossing it at 85Hz. at 36db octave.. I like the tham 12 very much

For Real? I’ve used other th designs and they could easily go higher. Cubo = 110hz. And anyways - These only go to 50hz (already falling steep) so that is only a range of perhaps 50-95 you have. I’d like a bit more. Also. The beta 10cx in a closed cabinet won’t be very useful below 100hz anyway...

But I’m happy you like it. Mine is going to be on its own, indoors most of the time. In apartments and so on. It’s for uni-parties ;) ;)

with the tham indoors and in a corner the bass extends well below 50 Hz I use a low shelf at 35. it all depends on the type of music you will be playing . most music has no content below 40 Hz. Even with the tham playing such a short bandwidth it certainty lets is presence be known and it just sounds so much better that way . cross them over too high and they start to mess with the midrange clarity.

with the tham indoors and in a corner the bass extends well below 50 Hz I use a low shelf at 35. it all depends on the type of music you will be playing . most music has no content below 40 Hz. Even with the tham playing such a short bandwidth it certainty lets is presence be known and it just sounds so much better that way . cross them over too high and they start to mess with the midrange clarity.

Thanks for your input. I'll do calibrations (Both indoor and outdoor). And I'll make a single setting that is as perfect as it gets. When doing the calibrations I'll measure how low I can get it to play when cornor placed. The thing is - I have to set up psycho-acoustics, which simulates frequencies below it's cut-off. And if I set the psycho-acoustics too low, then it won't have much influence outside.

And also. I do not believe it will go as low as 40hz. Even corner-placed. I think I'll get 50hz decent when corner-placed. 45hz will be -6dB at least.

Low-cut will be around 45hz to 50hz. But obviously. If my measurements says that they actually resonate a lot of low frequencies, I'll reconsider :)

As for the cubo . yes it will play that bit higher but for some reason when listening to them they seem to be very one note bass. . The tham however sounds fast , articulate , and very enjoyable. I have only used them indoors so cant comment on how they perform in free space . what driver are you using in the tham's

Efficiency ,Cabinet size and usable bandwidth. A compromise needs to be made . At some point it looks like you are going to have to give some of your cake away and not eat it.

ps MTH 30 goes lower, higher, and louder than the Tham or Cubo the problem for you is the larger size . you could go for a tuned reflex it will definitely play nicer higher up but then it will be lower efficency thing is will your 10 inch mid keep up with a Tham or Cubo anyway..

As for the cubo . yes it will play that bit higher but for some reason when listening to them they seem to be very one note bass. . The tham however sounds fast , articulate , and very enjoyable. I have only used them indoors so cant comment on how they perform in free space . what driver are you using in the tham's

12FH500. I'll be using psycho-acoustics to simulate 40-50hz. The system is for loud-party-music, so the use of a horn is obvious, and when the music is loud, you'll still have the 40-50hz simulated, so it'll be alright.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.