Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Dave Berriman DBS6 information wanted
Dave Berriman DBS6 information wanted
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2018, 10:20 PM   #1
tikiroo is offline tikiroo  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Dave Berriman DBS6 information wanted

My brother has obtained a pair of Dave Berriman DBS6 bookshelf speakers. They use a proprietary 8" woofer and a Morel MDT30 tweeter. The design for these was originally published in Hifi News and Record Review. We have a scan of the article but it's unreadable, including the date of the magazine. It looks like February 1992 but could be anything really.

If anyone knows the issue these were published in, that would be very helpful. Also details of the crossover, as there a couple of strange things going on that look as though whoever built it originally wired it up incorrectly. Ultimately we will do some measurements and do a design from scratch but a good starting point would be useful.

Thanks for any info that anyone might have
Old 21st December 2018, 01:06 PM   #2
halftone is offline halftone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Belatedly... but I built a pair of DBS6 when published, February 1992. I still use them. They're good, untiiring, capable of decent imaging and nicely balanced sound. A little laid back, not forward or shouty at all. They reveal cable and amplifier quality. I've had them hooked up to a Bryston 4B and the bass is fabulous. However they reveal the grain and glare of the 4B too.

Something is not quite right around the upper mid, which I think is a result of asking too much of the woofer near the rather low crossover frequency of 2KHz. Berriman just used a single inductor on the woofer circuit. I think that was optimistic.

They should have aged well if not abused, since the inverted woofer surround is rot proof and crossover caps are polypropylene. You can still get repair kits for the MDT30, although I've not needed them.

The high pass section is 12dB/octave, with a Zobel filter to reduce what Berriman described as some 'treble thinness'. I think he may have overdone it a bit and knocked a bit of air out of the sound, and for the last 15 years I've been thinking about bypassing it, or increasing the resistor value to reduce the effect. However laziness has won, and being basically happy with the sound.

The crossover should be pretty simple and tidy unless it's been messed with. Unfortunately Berriman only published a schematic, not the component values, which were what came with the kit, prebuilt onto hardwired boards. The tweeter should be connected with inverted polarity.

I have a photocopy of the 2 HFN&RR articles from Feb and March 1992 and can scan to a PDF if it helps. Mail tonysleep-at-halftone-co-uk
Old 22nd December 2018, 07:02 AM   #3
tikiroo is offline tikiroo  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply . My brother ended up emailing Dave Berriman and actually got a reply. From the email:

"You are correct that the sound of the standard crossover was slightly dull. The mic. I used then (before Clio) had rising treble and I over did the Zobel a little to compensate (should have trusted my ears more!). Once I started using Clio and the Clio Mic. I realised the error. Customers seemed very happy though!

I have looked through my old notes and measurements, and suggest you try 4.7 ohms for both the Zobel resistor (instead of 1 ohm) and 4.7 ohms for the series input resistor (instead of 6.8 ohms). This will lift the extreme top end, and the overall treble level.

If too much, increase one or both the resistors. If still too dull, try 3.3 ohms for one or both"

Thanks for the offer of the scans, I'll send an email.
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:26 PM   #4
halftone is offline halftone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that! Intriguing that Berriman himself came to think the same about the Zobel network. Right, that's motivated me to experiment now, only 24 years late.. I shall buy some resistors!

I've received your mail and sent a PDF. If you don't get it let me know, it may be a little large to survive Hotmail, but I can Dropbox it.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:22 PM   #5
Letunis is offline Letunis
diyAudio Member

Default Dave Berriman DSB6 info

Hi , everyone I'm new to the forum.
I stumbled on this site by chance in search for information on the DSB6 speakers I built in 1992 , I thought I had kept the plans safe but alas not to be found , if any one has a copy of the articles from HFN it would be very much appreiciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave Berriman DBS6 information wantedHide this!Advertise here!