"cheap" compression drivers suitable for a classic 3-way horn system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
are there any good inexpensive 1 inch format phenolic diaphragm horn drivers to make classic 3-way horn setups with typical 400Hz woofer-mid crossover? There doesn't seem to be anything in-between the 250X and K55-V (?) A small cone on horn could work but have to keep up with ~103-105dB 2 pi.

Atlas and the K55-V replacement are too expensive for cheap builds. Here's a driver I picked up for about $30 - rather limited in upper range, but loud and pretty clean with H2 ~61dB down at 500Hz/100dB or higher. PRV's little driver probably would not do a full horn system. Altec's 511 makes a pretty good midrange horn - I rather have it that way than as 2 way

6ZyBn9X.gif

a workable compression driver would be for a general 3-way (sans sub) horn project - not necessarily for me. A normal Unity horn would be good but require bi-amping to keep up with a typical bass horn. (I have one of Danley''s prototypes and its brilliant and coherent) - dunno if a cone driver such as B&C 6MD38 on a tractrix horn would cut it for sensitivity either.

(511 with phenolic 1" driver make decent midhorns (other than some "clanggggg")

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.