Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Enclosure for 2 Faital Pro 15PR400
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2018, 02:30 PM   #1
deank is offline deank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure for 2 Faital Pro 15PR400

After attempting to get a good in-room response using Beyma 18p80nd (in 180l) actively up to 200hz I have come to the conclusion that I will get a better response (that sonically matches the B&C8ndl51 and Beyma TPL150 (without waveguide) using the Faital 15PR400 (all system to be driven actively). Although at present my funds are limited my intention long-term is to use 2 15" woofers per side. Room is 9mx5m and I listen to quite a lot of modern music that contains a lot of bass information (eg Lorde, Katy Perry - system is used by whole family). I have struggled to find information relating to using 2 bass drivers and few of the on-line calculators allow these calculations. I think I'll be happy with an F3 of 30Hz and probably an enclosure volume of around 360 litres. Can any of the experts on here guide me to enclosure design (?1 compartment per bass driver or both units sharing the same space) and whether I should be using 1 port or 2. When I have performed the calculations using a sealed box of 360 litres and a single driver I get an F3 of 80hz - which obviously means I need a ported enclosure.
Thankyou.
Old 30th August 2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

WinISD or Unibox (both free) will calculate multiple drivers.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Unibox appears to be read only - needs a password?
WinISD doesn't seem to work.
Old 30th August 2018, 10:44 PM   #4
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
Unibox appears to be read only - needs a password?
Did you enable the macros?
Quote:
WinISD doesn't seem to work.
Can't help as I don't use it.
Old 31st August 2018, 03:16 AM   #5
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think I'll be happy with an F3 of 30Hz and probably an enclosure volume of around 360 litres. Can any of the experts on here guide me to enclosure design [...] When I have performed the calculations using a sealed box of 360 litres and a single driver I get an F3 of 80hz - which obviously means I need a ported enclosure.
Thankyou.
No expert, but:

You can simply calculate F3 for a single driver in a 180 litre box. It won't change much when you double up.

Quote:
1 compartment per bass driver or both units sharing the same space)
Pro and high power applications often use 1 compartment per bass driver so that a failure of one component doesn't cause any knock-on effects.

For home use, I doubt that's likely; I use dual 15s in a common compartment.

Quote:
and whether I should be using 1 port or 2.
*Shrug* I don't think it matters much - I'd go by looks / price / availability. The only (sound quality) reason I can think of for using >1 port is symmetry. With a single port, the stiffness of the airload the driver 'sees' will be different on one side than the other.

Again: no expert, so sorry if I have phrased this incorrectly. I also dunno whether this asymmetry has ever been demonstrated as making an audible difference.

Something else to consider (sorry if you're way ahead of me on this):

Having 2 sources will have different room interaction depending on how they are oriented e.g. a pair of large woofers stacked vertically will have different floor bounce to a single woofer. That's something else to model, if you want to get the model 'perfect'.

Personally, for the range 30-200Hz, unless the application dictated otherwise, I'd be tempted to:

-use a single compartment
-use opposed (vibration cancelling) mounting
-run the drivers 1.5 way (eg front driver 30-200Hz, rear driver 30-100Hz)

Last edited by hollowboy; 31st August 2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Structure. I had two ideas showing as connected when they were not.
Old 31st August 2018, 03:41 AM   #6
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(all system to be driven actively)
Have you experimented with sealing the Beyma 18P80Nd 180l box and using active equalization with a higher power amplifier? A Linkwitz transform is one simple equalization filter. More extensive DSP_box or multi-band equalizator can also smooth some room effects. A sealed box woofer will have superior transients over a ported box, but requires much higher power to achieve low frequency bass.
Old 31st August 2018, 03:57 AM   #7
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

deank - You also need room treatment to complement the EQ.
Old 31st August 2018, 04:40 AM   #8
Wayne1 is offline Wayne1  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to review what Tony Gee did with the 15PR400 in his design of Calpamos.

I have heard those in his listening room. I was very impressed with the dynamics and extension. I absolutely loved what he did with the crossover and the mid/highs with the Faital HF201 (somewhat off topic)
Old 31st August 2018, 07:22 AM   #9
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
You might want to review what Tony Gee did with the 15PR400 in his design of Calpamos.
Then it would have sounded even better with a decent, ie non diffraction slot flare.
Old 31st August 2018, 04:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks all.
Saw Tony Gees design rationale with the woofer and his words seemed to resonate with my findings of the Beyma woofer - great at high volume but kind of indistinct and one note at lower volumes. I think some of the harmonics also played havoc with the midrange.
The Beyma was sealed and driven with 500 watts via a Marchand XM9.
I think the room probably does need work and its got a suspended floor.
Think Iíll try 200L ported, single driver and go from there. If I need to double up Iíll add a second driver at the back - I am presuming the tuning remains the same even with a second driver?

Enclosure for 2 Faital Pro 15PR400Hide this!Advertise here!