SBAcosutics NRX2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like the engineers added ~2.9 grams of Mms which increases the Qts from 0.34 to 0.41, with the goal of getting slightly lower -F3 ported bass in a larger box volume(version2 0.7Qts requires 1cuft vs. 0.8cuft original) than the original, and accepted the slightly lower sensitivity.

Version 2 has T/S parameters which produce slightly deeper bass in a ported 1cuft Qts=0.7 cabinet.

Attachments

• SB17 verson2.JPG
    SB17 verson2.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 453
A few Satori speakers have a "measured flow" silicone/glue ring added to the rear cone near the outer surround to reduce cone breakup. The SPL curves for the SB17NRX2C35-8 show cone breakup similar to the SB17NRXC35-8. We would expect reduced upper frequency cone breakup if the extra 2.9grams of Mms in the SB17NRX2C35-8 was from a similar silicone/glue ring added to the SB17NRX rear cone near the outer surround.

Silicone/glue/goo on the SB17NRX cone to reduce breakup has not been openly reported by SBAcoustics.

Attachments

• mr19 glue ring.JPG
    mr19 glue ring.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 454
The NRX series have always had much higher bass distortion than the NAC series too.
Based on the audioexcite measurements? Jury's still out on that one imo because audioexcite swept the NRX from 100Hz and the NAC from 200Hz. Other than higher 2nd order on the NRX which may well be an artifact from starting the sweep at higher excursion, they are basically the same.

The NRX seem to have a resonance issue at 1-2kHz, just like the Satori drivers which imo rules it out for 2-way operation.

It looks like the engineers added ~2.9 grams of Mms which increases the Qts from 0.34 to 0.41, with the goal of getting slightly lower -F3 ported bass in a larger box volume(version2 0.7Qts requires 1cuft vs. 0.8cuft original) than the original, and accepted the slightly lower sensitivity.

Version 2 has T/S parameters which produce slightly deeper bass in a ported 1cuft Qts=0.7 cabinet.

ok, but fs of the 2 version is higher: 35 vs 32 (standard nrx version)
also, qts=0.41 but is too high for reflex box.
i think that nrx standard has quicker bass and goes low like nrx2 with a smaller volume.
nxr standard has also an higher qms
i continue not uderstanding the meaning of nrx2 version, i'm not realy expert :eek:

...in the SB17NRX2C35-8 was from a similar silicone/glue ring added to the SB17NRX rear cone near the outer surround.

Silicone/glue/goo on the SB17NRX cone to reduce breakup has not been openly reported by SBAcoustics.
ok, but are you sure about this?
when could i find some photos ?
than you

I happen to have measurements of SB17NRXC8 (not V2) in a 17 L closed box (23 x 37 cm front baffle).

Attached are raw and filtered freq responses. Also as a system with the mating tweeter (SEAS NoFerro650 with Visaton R148 WG).

Works well in a 2-way IMO, using steep LR4 filters and a peak notch.

Attachments

• SB17NRXC8 raw.JPG
    SB17NRXC8 raw.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 296
  • SB17NRXC8 LP.JPG
    SB17NRXC8 LP.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 293
  • SB17NRXC8 SEAS650 WG.JPG
    SB17NRXC8 SEAS650 WG.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 289
  • SB17 SEAS WG  GD Phase.JPG
    SB17 SEAS WG GD Phase.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 255
  • SB17 SEAS Imp.JPG
    SB17 SEAS Imp.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 250
Based on the audioexcite measurements? Jury's still out on that one imo because audioexcite swept the NRX from 100Hz and the NAC from 200Hz. Other than higher 2nd order on the NRX which may well be an artifact from starting the sweep at higher excursion, they are basically the same.

The NRX seem to have a resonance issue at 1-2kHz, just like the Satori drivers which imo rules it out for 2-way operation.

Yes the higher second order. There is no sweep used when using STEPS. It performs discrete sine pulses separated by silence for it's measurements.

Yes the higher second order. There is no sweep used when using STEPS. It performs discrete sine pulses separated by silence for it's measurements.
Ahh, right you are. I wasn't familiar with how that worked. I assumed ARTA had some kind of swept sine function. After playing around with it, it doesn't seem possible to make it step fast enough to get any appreciable crosstalk between frequency measurements.

I wonder why the higher 2nd order then? Maybe audioexcite had a faulty SB17 with a sagged suspension or wrongly magnetised motor. Or maybe the spider/surround have non-symmetrical Kms (old revision part?). I doubt the motor is different - I don't see any reason why SB would continue to use different parts for different SB17 models other than the cone. The cone itself will not affect bass distortion as it is well and truely a perfect piston at such low frequencies.

Last edited:
I wonder why the higher 2nd order then? Maybe audioexcite had a faulty SB17 with a sagged suspension or wrongly magnetised motor. Or maybe the spider/surround have non-symmetrical Kms (old revision part?). I doubt the motor is different - I don't see any reason why SB would continue to use different parts for different SB17 models other than the cone. The cone itself will not affect bass distortion as it is well and truely a perfect piston at such low frequencies.

Yes it's a puzzle to me too. Although Goran measured two drivers and they both had extremely good consistency.

If this is an issue with the NRX then maybe they will have fixed it in the NRX2 version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.