15" Midbass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I personally like the 15p80fe a lot (there is also the ND version if you want lighter weight)
Have had it in dual 15 configuration with 8" midhorn and 1" comp in a PA top. (fixed installation)
Crossed at 60hz to 18" subs.
It really kicks but and very tight sounding (see the low QTS this driver has)
If you can horn load it you can have very tight sounding results.

Then I had a look at the radian driver I didn't now of.... damn that really looks like a great driver. Even better then the 15p80fe.
Qts is lower, Bl is 34! VAS not to high, Xmax is more then enough.
I don't have experience with this driver tough.

So my choice would be:

-If affordable go for the radian
-On the second place I would place the 15p80fe

It will be a very clean and tight sound (no booming).
If possible put them in a horn large enough. Personally I like the dry sound of a good midbass horn but it's a matter of taste, but if you want clean tight bass that's the way to go I think.

Hifi or PA? Do you have space or weight constraints?

A loud 15" midbass unit asks for a front loaded horn.

I will use them for pa and i dont mind if the build gonna be heavy or very big...
Those 4 drivers are they with the biggest sensitivity & AES-RMS power.
So if i use 2 of them i will go hornloaded design as Nova SIGMA S3 & for highs will use 2 BMS 4595HE coupled P Audio PC-90 on JBL 2386 or JBL 2366A horn. If not horloaded cabinets i will use 4 of them as bassreflex midbass for better sound quality.

Now my question is which of them will reach highest sound pressure without big distortion in the midrage.

Beyma 15p80feN 101 sensitivity (excellent) lower distortion than the other 3 i think but it is 800 AES watt, 7.5 xmax (52 mm x damage), Bl factor 22.1, moving mass low of 88 gr, Efficiency 5% (Very good), fs 32 Hz.

RCF MB15N405 sensitivity 100 (very good), 1100 watt AES (very good), BL 23.50, fs 46, efficency 4.10 % (good), xmax 7 (x damage 53mm), moving mass 98 gr

SICA 15 S 4 PL sensitivity 98 (good), 1200 watt AES (very good), BL 23.85,

fs 38, xmax 8.5, efficency 2.5% (not good), mms 134 gr (some heavy)

RADIAN 2216 NEO sensitivity 101 (excellent but not in anechoic chamber the mesurment), 1400 watt AES (excellent), BL 34.23 (excellent control of cone & fast moving), xmax 21.3 (for sure the best bass of 4), fs 37

All of them 4" voice coils.

Last edited:
where do you want to cross them to the high section?

A straight horn will go the highest but for 60hz this will probably be to long so you gotta fold it.
The beyma is best value for money and also very good in a horn.
15mb700 is also quite good.

If the specs for the radian are real..... then this driver is the best you can get

For midbass clarity and low distortion a (good) horn is the best you can get I think.

where do you want to cross them to the high section?

A straight horn will go the highest but for 60hz this will probably be to long so you gotta fold it.
The beyma is best value for money and also very good in a horn.
15mb700 is also quite good.

If the specs for the radian are real..... then this driver is the best you can get

For midbass clarity and low distortion a (good) horn is the best you can get I think.

i will cross those drivers to 700 - 1000 hz high. But i really wonder for midbass & loudness of midrage sound does really be difference Radians 600 more watt AES than Beymas 800 watt AES or those 600 more watt will distrotion midrage so doesnt matter? Beyma from 45 hz to 700 - 800 hz handles peak power 136 db (simple bass reflex design) from 100 hz to 1600 khz handles 139 - 140 db. Does really Radians driver or RCF handles more sound pressure than 139 - 140 db from 100 hz and up ? I have already 2 Beyma 15P80Fe and 2 Beyma CP800Ti with 2 JBL 2386 horns, they are extream loud i play them from 80 - 100 hz and up with crossover 1600 khz, Beyma CP800Ti from 1600 khz and up in JBL 2386 horn handles 146 - 147 db peak (breaks my ears even from 12 meters).With very nice clarity in a program power and even some more. But if there is something louder i would to know.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Those 600w extra would get you almost 3db more output..... but then again power compression....

They both have 4" voice coil. don't bother about the power spec too much.
Look at Xmax (and the beyma also specifies Xdamage)
I wonder if the radian specs are really that good (they seem to good to be true)

If you want stupid loud => put it in a horn. Massive impact and you will not reach xmax before you reach the power limit. (for short bursts like kick etc you can put 1600w or even more on it as long as Xdamage is not reached and the long term power doesn't go over 800w)

About power..... I once drove a crest 8001 into clipping on a dummyload and used an Analog meter with a big cap to make it really slow to show the average power.

Using just normal music it got 50-100watts maximum
You can compress ofcourse....I would rather have 20db of headroom on a live PA, At that point it becomes scary..
I think the AES Rating is also based on this using pink noise....
Many of the older speakers where rated using continous sinewave power....
The truth is a 4" coil will always we a 4" coil and cooling mechanisms are indeed better then they used to be but getting rid of the heat is tough and laws physics don't change...

So back on topic. Stupid loud and clean midbass => horn load it.
Horn loaded you can get 105db sensitivity (maybe a little more with this driver also).
Maximum Continous SPL will be around 134db and maximum SPL is 137db
This is for one speaker. Two of those will get you 140db continous and 143db peak
The only downside is.....700Hz on a 15" front loaded horn... that would be difficult.
200 or maybe 300Hz is possible. Maybe using a straight horn but that would be huge to transport.
Also Using those Loudness levels and using it for PA it is better to put something in between to cover the midrange say from 200-3000 (I prefer even higher, makes the tweeter sound more detailed).
I am actually planning to do something with the 15p80fe in a folded horn to cover 50-200.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.