Binding posts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lots of good stuff here:
Connectors

The red and black removeable rubber plugs are some EU regulation to discourage people from plugging speakers into the mains. Such people deserve to die, IMO. Darwin, an' all that. :rolleyes:

Just avoid those old spring clips. Terrible things. :eek:

Not a bad idea to solder banana plugs, IMO. If you can.

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff here:
Connectors

The red and black removeable rubber plugs are some EU regulation to discourage people from plugging speakers into the mains. Such people deserve to die, IMO. Darwin, an' all that. :rolleyes:

Just avoid those old spring clips. Terrible things. :eek:

Not a bad idea to solder banana plugs, IMO. If you can.

Banana plugs is the way I’m going, I want to use an aluminium face plate so need some with a form isolator. Those WBT connectors look nice but seriously..at that price I don’t see me using those. The monacor look reasonable and after a search on eBay I came across some Jantzen binding posts that I like the look of.

Jantzen Premium Binding Posts / Speaker Terminals M9/26 Satin Nikel - 1 pair | eBay

A project I used to be involved in, had a pair of Dynavox banana plug terminals. They were cheap and solid enough.

Attachments

• Dynavox terminal plugs.JPG
    Dynavox terminal plugs.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Peerless SS speaker.JPG
    Peerless SS speaker.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 236
Most of this audio stuff, Wilmslow included, IS Monacor.

I used to buy these sort of 4mm banana plugs and sockets at Maplin, but they are now defunct.

They are industry standard in many applications, especially power supplies and measuring probes on multimeters. You will find them very cheaply if you search for 4mm banana socket. Maybe a pound each. Usually plastic sleeved, so electrically isolated from the mounting plate.

There's no mileage in gold plated or such nonsense. The metal plug contacts the metal socket, that's it. They are actually quite a good connector for high current.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.