Mad Scientist Noise Cancellation - Bass noise leakage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Krivium,

thank you for your detailed responses. It makes so much more sense to me now.

I've looked into making a floating floor, and that should be very doable.

I would rather not have to build over top of the existing barrier on the walls (100% decoupled, room-in-a-room style), but I'm open it if I continue to have issues after doing a false floor and active noise cancellation.

esl 63,

That is a very interesting thread.

The part about the digisonics installation for THX was pretty much exactly my situation. Do you know where I can find out more about what they did?

Would you expect the system you built to remove super quiet noise? or would I get too much feedback?

I used the bag end E-trap, but it was not up to the task...

It's from some AC units that I refuse to turn off.

I know it is wasteful, but I can't think if I'm in a room over 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

In the winter the noise should be much less of an issue, but I really don't know if the furnace will deposit any noise in my area either...

My 1st thought is to deaden the walls of the AC duct and / or add an atrium to the duct.

My 2nd, and possibly better thought: is the noise level linked to how hard the AC is working? If so, a good (and less wasteful) solution could be to find ways to live with less AC.

You know how cats and dogs will sprawl on cold tiles when it is hot? Is there any way you could so something like that - e.g. sit with your bare feet on some bare (cool) concrete, so that you don't need to run the AC so hard?

The following is me quoting (with slight edits) from an article I saw by chance years ago:

The trick is to use your freezer to time-shift the cold, as it were. In the evening, freeze a half-dozen or so plastic yogurt containers with water.

When the day begins to heat up, go get a frozen yogurt container, by now frozen solid. If you have a concrete floor, as I do, take off your shoes, put the yogurt container between your sock feet, and carry on typing or whatever it is you're doing.

The ice will cool the floor, and the floor will cool your feet. True, the air around you will also be a bit cooler, but what will really keep you comfortable are your big feet. They're terrific heat exchangers, by design - it's part of what they're supposed to do, in nature - you know, that place where there aren't any shoes (even on horses).

In an hour or two, switch to the next block of ice, putting the now liquid water in the used container into the fridge or down the drain. Don't put it in the freezer during the day unless you're really lazy. It's best to wait until night to start the freezing part of the cycle again because your freezer is a heat pump, and the more you make it work during the day, the hotter your place is going to get.

Now, you may not have a concrete floor, of course. You might be cursed with unhygienic carpeting. In which case you need a slate of marble or ceramic tile or stone or metal (aluminum's a great heat conductor so you could use a fairly thin piece of aluminum) to put the ice block (still inside its small plastic tub) and your sock feet on.​

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
I could but...it'll not be easy as we live in different places and build technique and materials needed may be different and not automatically exchangeable.
Some materials will be specifics to soundproofing some won't nescesseraly.

First your question is to broad imho, you should be more specific in what you are interested in (including a description of what you plan to use the room for, why, etc, etc,...) .

For sound proofing/insulation you could probably find a lot of information at John Sayers's forum.

Another thing, could you make a sketchup rendering of the existing build and your room, it'll be much easier to point important things? This is a lot of work ( i know, been there) but it'll make everything a lot easier once done.

Your own case is very interesting and will probably be one of the first thread in the new subforum section dedicated to acoustic which will be soon opened in here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.