Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Midrange Advice
Midrange Advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2018, 04:57 PM   #1
outfoxhyperion is offline outfoxhyperion
diyAudio Member

Default Midrange Advice

Hey everybody,
I'm looking into building my first 3-way system, and I'd like some advice if you'd give it. I've pretty much settled on the Dayton DS270-8 as the bass driver, and I'm thinking I may to with a ribbon in kind of a supertweeter roll. What I'm really not sure on is what direction I want to go with the midrange. Ideally, I'd like the midrange to cover the vast majority of the vocal range, but crossing around 800-1000 Hz is what I've pretty much decided is realistic. Don't really want to go higher than that due to the cone breakup that starts around 1k for the woofer. I'm leaning toward the Dayton RS52AN-8 as the mid, but I have zero experience with dome midranges so I wanted to get some thoughts from those who have experience with three-way designs.

If you have specific suggestions, here's what I'm looking at in terms of design criteria:
Under $45 per driver, at least 50W power handling for the desired frequency band, and preferably with reliable FRD/ZMA data for crossover design.

Thanks everybody!
Old 9th August 2018, 06:03 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Historically, for highest speech intelligibility, 125-5000 Hz and for best overall music reproduction [HIFI], 50-11000 Hz, choosing 300 or 500 Hz [depending on bass extension] -5 kHz compression horn as the best overall compromise based on acoustic power distribution.

Well beyond many DIYer's budget, so normally a 4-8" 'FR' driver is used.

GM
Old 9th August 2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Borus is offline Borus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nice in mid-range

Nice in mid-range reaches vary high may need some attenuation but would work great with a ribbon tweeter. It's a full-range brother of your pick for woofer range is from 90-1500Hz it sounds great look it up in the full-range forum
Dayton Audio PA130-8 5" Full Range PA Driver

Last edited by Borus; 9th August 2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: paste error
Old 9th August 2018, 07:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've seen those in action over on FR, XRK did the Daytonator mods with them Fortunately, I'd be able to avoid that breakup region crossing somewhere around 4500. The problem I see there is that directivity starts becoming a problem there, losing off-axis response. As far as attenuation, shouldn't be a problem, that 10" woofer is rated at 90.7 dB and the PA130 is only 88.2
Old 9th August 2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Michael Chua is offline Michael Chua  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton RS52AN

I used the RS52AN with the smaller RS180. It should not be a problem with the DS270 crossing at about 700-800Hz.

Mike
Old 9th August 2018, 08:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Wow Mike, that's an impressive build, and exactly the kind of analysis I was looking for on that mid, objective AND subjective. I like the baffleless concept, I may do something similar when I put together this build. The limiting factor I think will be that I'm looking at a 4+ cuft tower for the woofers that I don't want to be much wider than the woofers themselves, so mid and tweeter placement would likely end up too high on top of them. Otherwise, I'll just end up with BSC in the crossover.
I think I failed to mention it, but the plan is for these to be L/R in HT as much as they get used for stereo music. I intend to make them entirely passive and run them off of an AB amp, so no DSP is planned for these.
Old 9th August 2018, 08:37 PM   #7
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

BMR driver for the midrange.

The BMR Philharmonitor
Old 9th August 2018, 08:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I thought about doing BMRs for the midrange, but the issue is power handling and sensitivity. I am planning on doing a center channel to complement these as well, though, so it may end up being BMRs there.

Also: the HT usage is one of the reasons I'm concerned about directivity, I don't have a "listening position" I have a listening area. It's therefore important to me that everywhere on the couch sounds good.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:22 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you figured out what the DI needs to be?

GM
Old 9th August 2018, 09:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry, GM, not familiar with the term.

Midrange AdviceHide this!Advertise here!