Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Various loudspeaker design suggestions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2018, 07:43 AM   #1
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Various loudspeaker design suggestions

[Moderator Note] No project may use the name of "diyAudio" without the express written consent of the site's owner. The following texts have been edited to reflect that fact.

There was a comment in the diyaudio.com speaker another thread for a sticky for various speaker designs covering several categories. I thought it was a good idea to help builders find a suitable project without having to navigate a multitude of threads and posts. If the moderators think this is a waste, then please delete this thread.

All I propose is a category in the title and a pdf or link to the design and maybe a simple comment. If the design is not thought to be deserving, then the moderators can delete it. A pdf or a diyaudio.com link is preferred as external links can be broken and we end up with limited details.

I thought it would be a good idea to keep the chat to a minimum so the bulk of the thread is the various designs so navigating is quick.
Old 6th August 2018, 10:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Low cost small 4" 2-way SB Acoustics (Soprano by Jeff Bagby)

To kick off this thread I'm suggesting a small 2-way vented design by Jeff Bagby. Works well in small to medium rooms and great for HT use with a subwoofer. A great speaker for an introduction into the hobby with a good bang for buck as well as plenty of uses.

This is 1 of 2 loudspeakers that I've built from another designer (as a sanity check) and it's a keeper. My enclosure is slightly different and the crossover had a small change with the 15uF cap changed to 6.8uF to make the mids a bit more forward to suit my equipment, room and tastes.

Tweeter SB26STCN-C000-4
Midwoofer SB12NRX25-4
4.7 litres vented
F3=59Hz, F6=53Hz, D35x104 port
4 ohm speaker
Crossover 2 caps, 2 inductors, 2 resistors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soprano_SBA.jpg (82.1 KB, 632 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sopranos-Write-up-A.pdf (749.0 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by rabbitz; 6th August 2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 6th August 2018, 09:41 PM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Modestly priced FR speaker

Probaby one of the most popular diy FR builds over the last half decade is the Frugel-Horn Mk3. Now expanded into a family these are chameleons, as their sound can be changed by just using a different FR driver. A wide range of 3” to 6.5” drivers are supported.

I’ll supply a 1st link*:
The Frugel-Horn Family

Click the image to open in full size.

Most popular are Fostex FF85wk, Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 (FH-Lite), FE126En, Alpair 7.3, Pluvia 7 (FH3) and Alpair 10.3/10p, FF165wk (FHXL).

*(A search on the term “Frugal-Horn” in the forum search turns up 97 threads with this in the title including build guides with pictures, and there are more threads with different spelling, “FrugelHorn”, “Frugal-Horn”, “FrugalHorn”, “Frugals”.)

dave
Old 7th August 2018, 09:53 PM   #4
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Bit of chat from me, then back on-topic as rabbitz suggested he wanted.

The Sopranos is an excellent little design, IMO.

Two flattish drivers and low inductance on the bass making filtering easy.

4” SB12NRX25-4 :: SB Acoustics
SB26STCN-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

I include the simple Jeff Bagby Sopranos crossover, first below.

Fullrangers a la planet10, well, I want to hear them. A lot to like, especially the use of cones into high frequencies. I quite like the idea of a dome supertweeter with small fullrangers, but that is for the future. Say, above 7kHz where dispersion starts to take a beating.

Back on-topic. The design I am most enthusiastic about currently is by our own Michael Chua, he calls it the Starling:
Seas ER18RNX with 27TDFC

Mostly people notch that SEAS midbass around 4kHz. Michael does something entirely novel. A passive RL bafflestep and impedance correction along with a textbook filter. You've got to model it to see what is great about the impedance and driver control. And, TBH, I might do an entirely different tweeter section, even a different tweeter.

But I've tried this bass circuit, second and third below, and it really does have "buttery smoothness"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeff_Bagby_Sopranos.JPG (29.7 KB, 507 views)
File Type: png Michael Chua Starling.PNG (17.2 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg Starling Michael Chua.JPG (13.7 KB, 514 views)

Last edited by system7; 7th August 2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Fixed Link and included image of interesting speaker.
Old 8th August 2018, 05:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default 3-Way Classic (SEAS) by Troelsgravesen

There are a lot of older members who will remember 3-Way bookshelf speakers from the 1970s such as the JBL L100 and Yamaha NS-1000M.

This 3-Way Classic captures the essence of this era and has had plenty of favourable mentions in this forum so deserves a place here.

Tweeter SEAS 27TFFC
Mid SEAS MCA12RC
Woofer SEAS CA22RNX

37 litres with F3=43Hz
90dB SPL 2.8V

Since there is no pdf, a link is provided and hope it stays alive for years to come.
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

The designer makes a note about not using a stand with a front panel which also indicates it's not designed for a floorstander.

There are later versions but these do not show crossover values but can be bought as a kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3WClassic_RK.jpg (77.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 8th August 2018, 06:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Elsinore MTMMM large floorstander by Joe Rasmussen

This speaker has had a large following since it's inception in 2007 and at this date up to Mk6. A very clever design and may be the only speaker you will ever need if you desire a large presentation with an easy to drive load at 8 ohm.

It's a very large speaker at 1150mm high x 280mm wide x 380mm deep and is an expensive build.

Link to the design pages:
Elsinore Speakers DIY

Link to the diyAudio thread (long):
The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Tweeter Scan Speak D2608-913000
Midwoofers SB17NRXC35-8

In room response 25Hz-20kHz
2PI frequency response 50Hz-20kHz ±2dB
SPL 90dB+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elsinore_JR.jpg (16.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 8th August 2018, 06:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm hoping others will come in and add loudspeaker designs so we get an good example of different categories such as: OB, Horn, Studio Monitor, Computer Speaker, Subwoofer, High End 2-Way and 3-Way, Budget Speaker etc. If adding a link from diyAudio or elsewhere, where possible, please link to the final design to save builders time and ensure they have the correct details.

I'm adding some links to some good sites with respected designs to help new builders.

Troelsgravesen
DIY-Loudspeakers

Zaph Audio
Zaph|Audio

Frugal-Phile (planet10)
Frugal-phile DIY Audio Community Site

Humble Homemade HiFi (Tony Gee)
Humble Homemade Hifi - Archive

There was a post in another thread which pointed to some suitable projects at diyAudio.
diyaudio.com speakers ?
Old 8th August 2018, 07:18 AM   #8
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

There are many high-class passive multi-way designs at HTGuide forum
A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs.

Official Wavecor Ardent Reference Thread - How we realized the Dream
Isiris evolution to Osiris Jr? Summary of Isiris build and new update

Curt Campbell and Jim Holz desings are nice too Speaker Design Works
Old 9th August 2018, 08:18 AM   #9
pguerin is offline pguerin  France
diyAudio Member

Lots of designs on Paul Carmody's web site :

undefinition

I like very much this one, The Tarkus :

Tarkus - undefinition
Old 9th August 2018, 10:10 AM   #10
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the vast majority are spoiled by being ported.

Perhaps a separate listing of sealed alternatives would be welcome by those like myself who dislike the one-note bass and smeared timing that seems to afflict most ported designs.

Various loudspeaker design suggestionsHide this!Advertise here!