Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossover advice
Crossover advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2018, 10:25 PM   #21
hubi is offline hubi  Poland
diyAudio Member

I really appreciate your help! thanks a lot!

I maked your scheme and another one that you suggest before.
Attached Images
File Type: png mtm2.png (196.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: png mtm_V1.png (177.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 8th August 2018, 06:55 AM   #22
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The results you got there were so bad, that I think there is something you are doing wrong here. The second one is not too bad, the first one is just a mess because you haven't adjusted it for your particular woofer.

I looked up the Eton 5", which is a fairly well behaved 6 ohm driver with highish inductance and a bit of natural rolloff.
https://lautsprechershop.de/pdf/eton..._880_25hex.pdf

The Morel tweeter is just a regular sort of 6 ohm thing and needs no special attention.

Click the image to open in full size.

You said this is a custom design. Nothing wrong with it physically. I presume you have done something sensible with the bass loading. It's a reflex driver, QTs 0.4. Is it your filter?

You really shouldn't need anything beyond second order on the 5" bass and a crossover around 3kHz.

Since your modelling in vituixCAD is going so wrong, and I dislike that program as being unintuitive, maybe you should abandon it. Boxsim might give you a better time:

Software | Visaton

Boxsim Projektdatenbank

Import these bpj files for a quick start. Just find a similar project and import FRD and ZMA files.

Last edited by system7; 8th August 2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 8th August 2018, 08:28 AM   #23
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Since your modelling in vituixCAD is going so wrong, and I dislike that program as being unintuitive, maybe you should abandon it.
I would abandon you from this site.
Old 8th August 2018, 08:55 AM   #24
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmosto View Post
I would abandon you from this site.
You want to talk about speakers or me?

Your idea didn't look bad, but has been hopelessly badly implemented with that resistor on the bass, as you mentioned:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'll leave you on first base to fix this mess. I'm out.
Old 8th August 2018, 09:02 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot !
I think I'm going to buy this drivers and put then in my case.
Attached Images
File Type: png new-speaker.png (338.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 8th August 2018, 09:06 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

^That's is version 1.1. I really hope that you study version 2, whole program package and it's philosophical targets before advising anybody to abandon it to something obviously worse. I realize that beginners are very difficult students because they may know close to nothing about acoustics, electricity and speaker drivers. This kind of discussions might still be quite entertaining.
Old 8th August 2018, 11:04 AM   #27
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
You want to talk about speakers or me?

Your idea didn't look bad, but has been hopelessly badly implemented with that resistor on the bass, as you mentioned:

I'll leave you on first base to fix this mess. I'm out.
I really don't understand why are you spinning the story. What's your stake in this ?

Kimmosto didn't recommend series resistor on the midwoofer. Quite the opposite, he tried to convince Hubi to get rid of it.

I'm starting to feel like i'm on some sort of crusade here because i've said it more than once, but i'll say it again - VituixCAD is the most complete loudspeaker designing software available for free. It is second to none regarding performance. No, it doesn't have an icon for every little thing one would imagine to do. None of the serious software does that. Feed it the right set of measurements and the resolution of what one is doing goes sky high. From 2010 i've used Passive Crossover Designer 7 by Jeff Bagby, WinPCD, Boxsim, LspCAD and recently VituixCAD. Transferring to VituixCAD from any of those is like going to Full HD TV from SDTV.

Last edited by Zvu; 8th August 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 8th August 2018, 11:24 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Listen guys thanks to everyone - all of you helped me!

I managed something from what I learned I maked it only from my hearing without any softwares and its sounds grate much better from the original crossover!

thanks again to everyone!

My next step will be buying a microphone frequency measurement
and start again.
Attached Images
File Type: png crossover8.png (27.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 8th August 2018, 11:33 AM   #29
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Crossover advice
I have to agree with Zvu, vituixcad is by far the best speaker design software I've used so far. It doesn't do everything I want but it is damn close. The one thing that I go elsewhere for (speaker workshop) is putting multiple curves onto one graph so that I can compare them.

I didn't like the crossover modeling in version 1.1 but lucky for me version 2 came out within a week of me trying version one and I like it a lot!

I've used PCD7, boxsim, xsim, and speakerworkshop and I think Vituixcad 2 was by far the quickest to get up to speed on.

Tony.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Simulation with traced SPL and Z curves and simulated box, LF impedance and directivity. This method is possible with VCAD but it's as difficult as with proper measurements. Looks nice but reliability with traced responses and simplified simulations might be low without luck. Not for manufacturing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Crossover adviceHide this!Advertise here!