“Building the best 3-way full range speaker in the world”

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Forum,
This thread is a description of my latest DIY speaker project I worked on during 14 months.

“Building the best 3-way full range speaker in the world”
This statement needs of course some clarification. The best speaker in the world does not exist. If there is something I have learned during this project is that a speaker project is all about compromises. Even if money is no object (and I had a serious budget), it is still all about compromises.
Size, width, depth, selection of units, selection of enclosure material, filter components, spikes, rubber feet, volume, closed or ported……. And so on.

A few years back I rebuild an Electro Voice Interface D speaker into a more modern version with the original drivers and a new filter and new enclosure. The end result was definitely a better version of the original. The enclosure was way more ridged and the filter components from a much higher quality than the original. This speaker was very impressive, live sounded live ….. at loud volumes. The set turned into a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system and for movies there was nothing better in my opinion. Dynamics were fantastic, and the AVR did some decent Audyssey room correction by equalizing the speakers.

So early last year (2017) I started to get less satisfied with this system. As good as it was for movies it didn’t tick the box for stereo anymore. At loud volumes it did okay, but it lacked resolution and I just never listened to stereo music anymore. I considered to buy a good equalizer but never found one that ticked all boxes.

Jumping 16 months forward I have listened to (stereo) music in the last months more than in the last 12 years (since I moved in my current home). I consider the below project my best speaker achievement. However, it was also the most difficult one.

Back to the project:
A friend asked me early last year if I could help him with a medium sized speaker and after a few discussions and checking out components I decided to replace my Interface D remake with something new. The criteria for me was building a decent sized front speaker. Full range (<30Hz – 25kHz). Powerful, high resolution by using the best components DIY builders can find and an enclosure that is very rigid, heavy and good looking.
We first built a prototype of the two way mid sized enclosure to test the selected components. This speaker would be my friends front speaker and for me it would serve as the surround speaker with built-in upfiring Atmos unit as the separate top unit I built for my previous system was visually less attractive.

The selected components:
Tweeter for all units is the great Scan Speak beryllium D2908/714000 unit. Influenced by Troels Gravesen as some other decisions I made.
The Mid/LF units are Audio Technology 18H521706 SDKA in a d’Appolito arrangement. We wanted some LF authority in the 2-way system so double the cone size helped here. And you would be amazed how well this worked. The 2-Way sounds awesome. To get a slightly easier load we ordered these units with an Re of 7,5 Ohms. This speaker has a friendly 4 Ohm load.
The woofers for the 3-way front speakers are the fantastic Audio Technology 10 C 77 25 10 KAP with a sandwich cone. These speakers were also ordered with an Re of 7,5 Ohm as I used 2 in parallel.

The 3-way has a vented LF enclosure tuned at 28Hz, but also the mid is vented. And the mids are so gorgeous, lush with warmth and resolution that I consider that as the best part of the speaker.
I also built a 3 way center speaker with the same components but added an Audio Technology 15H52 1206 SDKAM to get a better horizontal dispersion of two vertically placed units.

Some generic enclosure specifications:
MDF 25mm for most parts side panels, 31 (25 and 6) for the large speakers. 18mm for all bracing and dual layers for top and bottom.
The front panels are 3 layers of 13mm HDF (1100kg/m3) and 5 layers for the big speakers. Glued together under a 30-ton hydraulic press and 5 axis CNC machined to a golden ratio curve. These baffles are covered with a 1,4mm leatherette that visually works very well with the speaker units to an aesthetic unity.
As an extra layer and to make them even more appealing in our living room I covered the enclosure with massive 20mm solid walnut panels that have a slight angle at the front and back to make these panels a bit less solid from the front. They are finished in a natural Tung-Oil.
The front panel is connected to the rear panel with 10 pieces M8 stainless steel threaded rods to remove the last internal resonances by putting some tension on these rods.

One thing is sure for me: I am listening to more music than ever before. More music sounds better and it sounds great at really low volume levels as well. The speakers can go loud. And they go deep, very deep with authority, control, resolution and most important musicality. Old stuff recorded decades ago sound great, and also high resolution contemporary music as well.
I hope the below pictures say enough.

Attachments

• Front speaker 01.jpg
    Front speaker 01.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 5,242
  • IMG_9354 small.jpg
    IMG_9354 small.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,837
  • IMG_9356 small.jpg
    IMG_9356 small.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,780
  • Surround detail.jpg
    Surround detail.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,725
  • Surround set with Atmos up.jpg
    Surround set with Atmos up.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,549
  • Filter 1.jpg
    Filter 1.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Filter 2.jpg
    Filter 2.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 3,585
  • Front speaker with turntable.jpg
    Front speaker with turntable.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,685
  • Front speakers Center.jpg
    Front speakers Center.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3,903
  • Front speaker details.jpg
    Front speaker details.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3,829
Some more pictures

Attachments

• Building Pics the solid walnut sides.jpg
    Building Pics the solid walnut sides.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 872
  • Building Pics CNC parts.jpg
    Building Pics CNC parts.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 896
  • Building Pics leather detail.jpg
    Building Pics leather detail.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 863
  • Building Pics gluieng sides 2.jpg
    Building Pics gluieng sides 2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 935
  • Building Pics glueing the front unit.jpg
    Building Pics glueing the front unit.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Building Pics glueing sides.jpg
    Building Pics glueing sides.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 870
  • Building Pics glueing parts 4.jpg
    Building Pics glueing parts 4.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 962
  • Building Pics glueing parts 3.jpg
    Building Pics glueing parts 3.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 2,274
  • Building Pics glueing parts 2.jpg
    Building Pics glueing parts 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 916
  • Building Pics glueing parts 1.jpg
    Building Pics glueing parts 1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,246
And some more

Attachments

• Building Pics checking the fronts 2.jpg
    Building Pics checking the fronts 2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 797
  • Building Pics checking the fronts.jpg
    Building Pics checking the fronts.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 775
  • Building Pics CNC Front 1.jpg
    Building Pics CNC Front 1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 787
  • Building Pics CNC Front 2.jpg
    Building Pics CNC Front 2.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 721
  • Building Pics Chamfer 3.jpg
    Building Pics Chamfer 3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 785
  • Building Pics Chamfer 2.jpg
    Building Pics Chamfer 2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Building Pics center 1.jpg
    Building Pics center 1.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 792
  • Building Pics adding oil.jpg
    Building Pics adding oil.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 781
  • Building Pics adding dampening.jpg
    Building Pics adding dampening.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 752
  • Building Pics adding dampening and support.jpg
    Building Pics adding dampening and support.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 824
and the last ones

Attachments

• Building Pics tuning 2.jpg
    Building Pics tuning 2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 763
  • Building Pics tuning.jpg
    Building Pics tuning.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 754
  • Building Pics the M8 rods.jpg
    Building Pics the M8 rods.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 650
  • Building Pics the feet.jpg
    Building Pics the feet.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 576
  • Building Pics prepairing for CNC.jpg
    Building Pics prepairing for CNC.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 637
  • Building Pics mounting speakers.jpg
    Building Pics mounting speakers.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 641
  • Building Pics glueing leather.jpg
    Building Pics glueing leather.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 708
  • Building Pics damping.jpg
    Building Pics damping.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 753
  • Building Pics connection filter panels.jpg
    Building Pics connection filter panels.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 735
  • Building Pics cloth for upfiring.jpg
    Building Pics cloth for upfiring.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Okay, these are really the last ones :)

Attachments

• Building Pics filter construction 2.jpg
    Building Pics filter construction 2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 666
  • Building Pics Chamfer 1.jpg
    Building Pics Chamfer 1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 615
  • Building Pics rear.jpg
    Building Pics rear.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 650
  • Building Pics upfiring.jpg
    Building Pics upfiring.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 957
  • Building Pics filter construction 1.jpg
    Building Pics filter construction 1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 805
  • Building Pics new ceiling unit.jpg
    Building Pics new ceiling unit.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 699
  • Building Pics surround filter.jpg
    Building Pics surround filter.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 656
  • Building Pics CNC parts 2.jpg
    Building Pics CNC parts 2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Building Pics Center with cloth.jpg
    Building Pics Center with cloth.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 720
  • Building Pics center in new hifi furniture.jpg
    Building Pics center in new hifi furniture.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 795
I would like to keep the details to myself for now with months of tweaking and listening.
The filter is a normal 3 way second order LR design.
Crossover frequencies of 230 Hz and 2800 Hz
A small eq lifts the tweeter response. (expensive with Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil capacitors in that part of the filter.

The frequency response below is left and right in the room measured at 1 meter distance on tweeter height. The little bump at 1,1 kHz has always been present in both the large and 2 way speaker. It sonically never bothered as measured in the listening position it is gone. Something to do with the d'Appolito arrangement. The frequency has a wavelength of exactly the the distance of the two midrange units.
The dip at 230 Hz is the error of the mic being at tweeter position and is gone when the mic is placed between LF and MF.

Below 300 Hz the frequency response alters with every different setup, distance of walls and so on, and is therefor not Representative but it says something about how low this speaker goes.

Here the second graph tells something. This is a near field measurement as shown in a picture above. The mic a few cm from the cone. The top red curve is with just the 2nd order HP filter. The green lower graph is with a notch filter added to dampen the second resonance peak and this little tweak made the LF sound so much better. more control and it was as if it reached deeper.

Of course do you like your self made speaker, I made many and I always loved them ...... at first. Then the first issues arrive. You hear imperfections, things that are not ideal and so on.
With this speaker this did not happen, and now 3 months since the last tweak, and 5 months since they first made sound they sound better and better.
I went to some shows, friends and shops to verify if I was critical enough and ...... nothing yet comes close. Speakers ranging from €10k to €125k outperform them in more than 1 aspect.
And my front-end can be improved .....

Attachments

• Building Pics frequency respnse.jpg
    Building Pics frequency respnse.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Building Pics frequency respnse.near.jpg
    Building Pics frequency respnse.near.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
Those look great. I am also curious about those ceiling speakers for atmos you made, any more info?

Yes indeed, two Beyma 5MP60N 16 Ohm and the same Scan Speak tweeter as in the upfiring unit. The Scan-Speak D2608-91300.
The crossover is also a 2nd order LR at 3500 Hz.
The upfiring needs a special notch filter according to Atmos specification.

Last edited:
I would like to keep the details to myself for now with months of tweaking and listening.
The filter is a normal 3 way second order LR design.
Crossover frequencies of 230 Hz and 2800 Hz
A small eq lifts the tweeter response. (expensive with Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil capacitors in that part of the filter.

The frequency response below is left and right in the room measured at 1 meter distance on tweeter height. The little bump at 1,1 kHz has always been present in both the large and 2 way speaker. It sonically never bothered as measured in the listening position it is gone. Something to do with the d'Appolito arrangement. The frequency has a wavelength of exactly the the distance of the two midrange units.
The dip at 230 Hz is the error of the mic being at tweeter position and is gone when the mic is placed between LF and MF.

Below 300 Hz the frequency response alters with every different setup, distance of walls and so on, and is therefor not Representative but it says something about how low this speaker goes.

Here the second graph tells something. This is a near field measurement as shown in a picture above. The mic a few cm from the cone. The top red curve is with just the 2nd order HP filter. The green lower graph is with a notch filter added to dampen the second resonance peak and this little tweak made the LF sound so much better. more control and it was as if it reached deeper.

Of course do you like your self made speaker, I made many and I always loved them ...... at first. Then the first issues arrive. You hear imperfections, things that are not ideal and so on.
With this speaker this did not happen, and now 3 months since the last tweak, and 5 months since they first made sound they sound better and better.
I went to some shows, friends and shops to verify if I was critical enough and ...... nothing yet comes close. Speakers ranging from €10k to €125k outperform them in more than 1 aspect.
And my front-end can be improved .....

Measurements looks great, in what way the upward firing drivers influences the sound? What are the improvements in your opinion?

Measurements looks great, in what way the upward firing drivers influences the sound? What are the improvements in your opinion?

The upfiring speaker removes a few liter from the total volume. So in theory a slightly different tuning and the top speaker has less room to breathe.
We didn't compare my friends two way with my surround. He used the top filter components and I used less expensive ones as it is "just" surround.

But for the best stereo only experience I would not include the upfiring.

For me it was different as I wanted to get visually the same speakers as the big fronts and get a similar tuning by using the same drivers.

Hope this answers your question

I think I need to explain something about this project.
I have made 7 speakers in total that are powered by 9 amps (well 11 to be exact, as I am bi-amping the fronts)
The 3 way 5 speaker fronts
The 2 way 3 speaker surrounds that include a 2 way built-in Atmos upfiring
The 2 way 3 speaker ceiling speaker
A 3 way 4 speaker center speaker

One of THE BEST HT speaker design & construction posts I have seen.
-polar directivity response best suited to your HT listening
-top ranked individual drivers
-design and construct cabinets with low diffraction and vibration
-conquer cost and complexity required for passive crossovers
-measurements at listening room seating position

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.