Celestion Ditton 25 help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a new queation / thread

help needed capasitor question

I recently brought a pair of home made T Line speakers from a well known auction site .. And i made the mistake of trusting some one ..

Short story they are 4way .. and on one speaker the top 2 tweeters are silent .. here are some photos .. As you can see one capasitor has exploded ... I think it is 4.7 mfd I have 2 old yellow 2.2 mfd

So here are my questions

1.. Will I cause any harm if i swap the 4.7 for the 2 x 2.2 caps
I was hoping to do this as a tempory measure to test for other problems . like are the tweeters knackered ? etc

2 how likely is it that one blown cap would effect the 2 tweeters and be the only problem .. Or does a blown cap mean more damage else where ??

Try it

Connecting two 2.2uF caps in Parallel will theoretically sum to 4.4uF , and as that is lower than 4.7uF there will be no damage done by connecting 4.4uF to tweeters that can cope with 4.7uF in that circuit.
The above will allow you to hear whether the tweeters are working ,
or possibly whether the 4.7uF capacitor was intended for something else in that circuit.

I advise you to flip the crossover board over and look at how everything is connected , and then draw a copy the circuit for a Schematic.

If the Schematic seems complicated , then post it here and someone may comment about it for you.

If the blown cap is one of those very old black cylinder with red ends type then it will have failed as result of old age - those were not long-life capacitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.