First project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to diyAudio and would like to start my first project. I have completed planning my speaker, but I would like someone to look it over. I know that I will make mistakes, and I am not afraid to scrap everything and restart. Here are my plans

Edit: I remade the crossover without the L-Pad on the woofer, then posted it later on this thread

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    400.9 KB · Views: 226
  • enclosure.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
PRR said:
I do not understand the small resistor pads. They cut both drivers about the same (so why do it?), and cut the system impedance near half (so double the amplifier power for the same air-shake).

picowallspeaker said:
No, no, no... forget that 50 W L-pad before the woofer.
Nobody has ever put one...so it's not a good idea.

Cal Weldon said:
Yes, we know what they are. You have a lot of very smart people here so please make sure you soak in the info. The question was why do you have the two L-pads there at all?

My bad. I put two pads because adding one screwed up the frequency response. I revised the crossover. How is it now?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You at least now have the tweeter lpad in the right place (ie between the tweeter and the crossover) if before the crossover it will work, but it will cause an impedance dip on the woofer at lower frequencies, and unnecessarily load the amp (I'm guilty of having done the same).

But the values in your lpad seem odd, and your tweeter response is dropping an awful lot... do you even need the lpad on the tweeter as PRR mentioned?

Tony.

You at least now have the tweeter lpad in the right place (ie between the tweeter and the crossover) if before the crossover it will work, but it will cause an impedance dip on the woofer at lower frequencies, and unnecessarily load the amp (I'm guilty of having done the same).

But the values in your lpad seem odd, and your tweeter response is dropping an awful lot... do you even need the lpad on the tweeter as PRR mentioned?

Tony.
I didn't really know what values to put into the L-Pad. I want the L-Pad on the tweeter in case the specifications are off. Also, I want the L-Pad because my receiver only has a clunky 2 band equalizer, and I have no idea what frequencies it is adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.