Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Building plans for Dayton portable speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2018, 11:48 AM   #1
Hallislaok is offline Hallislaok  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Building plans for Dayton portable speaker

Was making some plans for my speaker building project, which will be a bluetooth portable speaker, with parts from parts mostly from Dayton Audio. Is kind of new to this whole thing so was wondering if i could get some feedback on the parts i have chosen etc. so i can make some improvements on the plan before i get started.

amplifier: Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 2x50W Class D
Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 2x50W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0

woofers: 2 x Dayton Audio ND140-8 5-1/4"
Dayton Audio ND140-8 5-1/4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Neo Driver 8 Ohm

tweeters: 2 x Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1"
Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter

The enclosure will be wood with a suitcase like shape, and each woofer will have separate chambers that will be 10-12L of space when the sound dampening material and the electronics is in place. Each chamber will be ported with a 2" port that will be around 8 inches long.

WinISD.PNG

Wanted to make my own Crossovers so used VitiuxCAD to create a schematic which gave me this frequency response graph. The crossover is set to at around 3000hz.

FrRes.PNG
CrossoverSchema.PNG

The board has two 50w channels so the tweeter and the woofer goes in parallel for both channels. This will make crossover work a lot easier as well.

For the batteries i was thinking about using the 3 or 4 of the Dayton Audio KAB-BE 18650 Battery Extension Board. (Dayton Audio KAB-BE 18650 Battery Extension Board for Bluetooth Amplifier Boards). With 3 3000mah batteries on each board gives the system approximately 27000-36000 mah at 12V.

Thanks in advance for feedback, and if people are interested I can post updates with pictures from the build as I go.

Last edited by Hallislaok; 17th July 2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 17th July 2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The KAB 250 amp works well. I use them frequently.
Looks like you are on the right road with the crossover. I'm sure you'll get more detailed responses as people see this.
Old 18th July 2018, 11:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah that would be great!
Old 18th July 2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I reckon that you have not included baffle step response into the simulator, yet. Perhaps you should upload the boombox drawing and designate where you'd like the drivers installed. An 84 dB driver on paper, once in free space loses good 4-5 dB, so right now you filter has room for improvements.
Old 19th July 2018, 12:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here is the original design i was thinking about, its 60cm x 20cm x 30 cm. Thinking it might be better off being 40 cm tall instead though because with 30 cm it might be little room between the port and the back side of the woofer. And i need to fit the electronics in the back as well, and 40 cm will make it more spacious.

Sketch.PNG
Old 19th July 2018, 03:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Have another design I just made thats a little bigger, and its 2 ports per chamber instead of 1 port and moved the ports to the front to reduce the velocity of the air, and the length requirement to get the tuning frequency i want of 54hz. The box measurements are now 50cm x 30cm x 40cm.

Sketch_2.0.PNG
Old 19th July 2018, 04:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

May you will give it a shot and try something along these lines. I assumed the baffle as 60x40 cm.
Attached Images
File Type: png Filter.png (67.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 20th July 2018, 12:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow can't get XSim to work properly, but that graph looks pretty damn nice. Yeah the baffle will be 50cm wide and 40 cm tall. I can do the exact same thing for both left and right channel right? That equates to around 50L inside of the box, actually gives around 15-20 L per chamber after electronics and dampening material. Any thoughts on dampening material btw?

Thanks for the help so far
Old 20th July 2018, 03:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sure, once you find a satisfactory filter, then it's the same for both of the speakers. Damping material was never critical. Whatever suits the purpose. Some line the cabinets, some stuff, some mix both of these. I stuff the enclosures to a degree that I am certain all standing waves will be suppressed and leave some space for free vent air flow.
Old 24th July 2018, 12:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Was thinking about lining it, because idk if the stuffing will absorb moisture if i bring it outside. Here is how my XSim graph turned out:

XSim.PNG

Used the FRD and ZMA Files from Parts Express, the ones at 0 degrees. How did you calculate baffle step into the frequency response curve? And is the baffle step the only reason our graphs look kinda different?

Building plans for Dayton portable speakerHide this!Advertise here!