Hivi domes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi all, just wanted to point out to nice dome midrange and dome tweeter combo from Hivi. I have seen pair for $59 on ebay, so I bought it. Mainly because I love domes. I got plenty projects done in the past with old Philips domes, lately with Dayton domes, all good sounding. Frankly I do not understand why dome mids are not used more often.
Here is the measurement I obtained, just slapped on its styrofoam transport box. 30uF and 3 uF caps used for measurements, no coils.
Now I just need to find nice 8-10" midbass to mate it with.
Cheers!

Attachments

• hivi1.jpg
    hivi1.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 851
  • hivi2.jpg
    hivi2.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 802
  • hivi4.jpg
    hivi4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
I agree that dome mids probably produce the most realistic midrange of all.
I have owned some very good speakers using dome mids but if you want to hear something truly great you need to hear the New Yamaha NS5000s which use Zylon dome mids.

Dynaudio used to make some really good soft domed mids but now only make one which is aimed at the car audio sector.A shame they stopped using them in their home speakers.

I also have some Yamaha NS75Ts which use a titanium dome mid and they can sound wonderful with the right music-much better than the Yamaha NS1000s in my opinion.

For DIYers there are the Visiton titanium and soft dome mids available.I always wanted to give the Visaton Casablanca mkIV kit a go -it uses the titanium domes.

Dome mids are hard to get right though-especially in regard to image depth and centre fill and seem to be very room and positioning sensitive in this regard.[Perhaps too wide dispersion ].ATC and PMC tend to use wave guides which would perhaps help in this regard.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Right, so if you want a large woofer, you have to make it a 4 way or accept the problems.

I am thinking about 10" max. Make it small monitor.

Would not mind 4-way, but i already have quite a few. My second upstairs (messy speaker/soldering room) has hivi tweeter, two dayton domes, two 6" midbasses and 15" woofer per side. Great sound, biamed, but little more complexity than i plan for next domes project.

Looking for great behaving 10" with no issues from ~30Hz to 1kHz. I am sure i will find some on parts express. How about some Hivi midbass...let's keep it in the family.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is dc50 dayton dome, soft dome with almost no breakups, i am using two per side now in mtm arrangemet with hivi ribbons. Great sound.
But i removed front plates to be able to mount all as close as possible.
Big front plate is limiting crossover frequency, but once removed, no problem. Its just glued in place.

Last edited:
Would you care to share the crossover? I am sure i have seen your speakers on some website.

Go to his Photobucket link and scroll down the projects list on the left hand side until you see the "NEHD" project. The LAT250s are also NLA as far as I know. Here's another design I found that uses the Tangband W6-1139 as the woofer, I have no idea how good or bad the design is. LINK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.