Hivi domes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thanks ernperkins, I will have a look

I do want to see what other people did with hivi domes for inspiration
otherwise I measure, I listen, I modify, and listen and measure again, and again, till I am happy
Goal is as simple as crossover as possible, as flat fr response as possible, as well as phase response...I found it important too
As I posted as the beginning of this thread, hivi mid dome and tweeter dome measure surprisingly well with just cap on each, so I am surprised to see such complicated crossovers in place
not sure why is that needed

anyway, I measured 5.5" peerless dome I selected, I did select it based on required range and that its dome too, and it measured quite well. My measurements are close to the published, its useful for 50hz to ~2khz, it has one break up at 3kz, no too severe, but something I need to suppress, so I am thinking of 2nd order at 1 kz, then I will measure again and listen

Joined 2004
Paid Member
fr response

Attachments

• dome fr response.jpg
    dome fr response.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 317
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Unless you play them at very high spl or push the mid low, the simple filters work very well.

I've been restoring some old 3ways with this sort of setup- the Scott s-15s.
Crossed simply at 1&4k they have 5" CTS mids in cans, so the mid is loafing and the extra low frequencies are easily handled.
In these the tweeters are the limiting factors, and they play loud better with a steeper rolloff.

I'm watching this project of yours, have been playing with the widerange 3.5" dome that Mad has- with HDS 5.25 instead, but you have a great look with all domes.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Previously I measured HiVi domes with just 30uF cap to protect...they measured well, but I want to cross the mid dome at 1kHz, not to load it too much. Tweeter dome will remain with 3uF cap, seems like very smooth transition between hivi domes.
So I lowered mid dome cap to 20uF, and used 2nd order filter.
This is how the Hivi domes measure now.
Pretty nice.

Attachments

• hivicrossed.jpg
    hivicrossed.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 325
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, minor problem is the sensitivity. Peerless 5.5' midbass dome is not sensitive enough. HiVi domes are way more sensitive.
I knew about this, I selected peerless at 4 ohms, while HiVi domes are 7 ohms, so I was hoping to get closer to the sensitivities, but I was wrong. Hivi domes are way more sensitive than I expected.
Well, I can put L-pad on Hivi domes, or I can bi amp it, I do have spare minidsp, or I can select another midbass, I have 6fe200 around...so lots of options.
I will keep playing around to make it as flat as possible.

Btw, the 12" woofer on the picture is not used, it serves just as a stand.
I do plan to use sub eventually, but for now I concentrate on getting the 100Hz to 20kHz as flat as possible.
Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.